Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest/efficient way to record music onto laptop?

Options
  • 18-12-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Hey

Just curious as to what is the best way to record some guitar stuff on to my laptop without having to buy/download a load of software, purchase pricey hardware etc :-). I'm using an electric guitar through pedals then through a loop player into the amp.
    For the sake of quality, I think it would be better to hook up my amp to the laptop using a lead (? :-p) instead of using a mic to record it. I hear a lot of stuff on soundcloud and the sound is pretty high quality. Any tips would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

An M Box Mini looks like what youre looking for, or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

Depends what it is you are trying to do/achieve. a single or dual USB audio input interface is not going to break the bank and usually can be found on adverts.

If you intend to record a single track Audacity is the software you'd be looking for, otherwise I'd give Reaper a shot which is a full multi-track audio/midi (and video to come in the next version) recording tool. The latter is not free, but will put up delay screens each time you start it as long as you do not register it and pay the $60 fee (which IMO is dirt cheap for what it does) which gives you a license for personal use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Audacity is free and excellent for single track recording, layering is possible but you'll have trouble keeping things in synch.

Do have a look at Riffworks too, it's a very simple 4 track recorder based on riffs, and comes with some drums too, and it's free for the 4 track version.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/T4/

Line 6 do a usb interface with some amp simulation software which might make your pedals completely redundant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Thanks a lot folks! Gona have a look into some of these suggestions :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Audacity is great for recording and if you want to do more with it I recommend Reaper. Both are free.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

Actually reaper is not free. You are supposed to pay a $60 license when you use the software. For what it offers that's a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Joebags

Yea i'd second Reaper and Audacity. Great for cheap home recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭guitarrrszz

get yourself onto piratebay and crack pro tools or something

get yourself onto piratebay and crack pro tools or something

Besides the obvious, ProTools is overrated and hardly a feasible option on a (home)laptop. Reaper would do fine if he needs that kind of power and using it does not require you to steal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

reaper is nagware, so it is free to use, as long as you dont mind the nag screen that comes up at the start of each session. it is worth buying though.
    paulheu wrote: »
    Actually reaper is not free. You are supposed to pay a $60 license when you use the software. For what it offers that's a steal.

Advertisement