Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone done a caliber change on the same rifle?

Options
  • 27-01-2015 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭

Am thinking of changing my .243 up to .308.Now to save lots of hassle explaining to some of those in power the adavantage of a modular sporting rifle and,and the ease of swopping out a complete upper with a different caliber and importing such and doing all unnecessary paperwork and proably going to court AGAIN because my local cheif doesnt,wont or cant understand the differences.

I am thinking it is proably easier to explain to him that the rifle is staying the exact same in all its shape and serial number etc,and that the only thing that is changing is a new barrel with a different caliber and same serial number is going in to its reciver and all AGS has to do is re issue the liscense with the amended caliber.
    IOW this needs to be explained in words of one syllable or less ,so has anyone ever done such a project here,how did it go for you and any tips or pitfalls along the way?I'd like to hear from folks who have had Sako Quad rifles with different calibers or those who did it via gunsmithing the rifle to a bigger caliber here in Ireland.As that would be my second option,get the .243 bored out to .308 if need be.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

Where do I start Grizz??

I was changing the barrel on my Tikka from a .25-06 to a 6.5x47 in December 2013. I sent in a note and receipt from Dom saying that the previous barrel had been shout out and a new barrel was needed. The super sent back the application with a note attached saying this wasn't allowed.

I rang him and had a big debate about how changing a barrel wasn't illegal and the lads making a living off it weren't doing anything illegal either! He compared it to welding 2 cars together, I compared it to changing the tyres or engine! Since he had not officially refused me I had to reapply so he could officially refuse me and then I could take him to court.

So when I reapplied (1st week of January) I enlightened my Sargeant on the situation, she rang up the ballistics department and got a written letter from them saying what I wanted was normal and fully within the law.

The super dragged his heels on the application and it was the end of February and he still hadn't refused me. My Sargeant grew tired of it, rang up the lads in Dublin and they completed the substitution over the phone for her and sent me out my license!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

patsat wrote: »
    Where do I start Grizz??

I was changing the barrel on my Tikka from a .25-06 to a 6.5x47 in December 2013. I sent in a note and receipt from Dom saying that the previous barrel had been shout out and a new barrel was needed. The super sent back the application with a note attached saying this wasn't allowed.

I rang him and had a big debate about how changing a barrel wasn't illegal and the lads making a living off it weren't doing anything illegal either! He compared it to welding 2 cars together, I compared it to changing the tyres or engine! Since he had not officially refused me I had to reapply so he could officially refuse me and then I could take him to court.

So when I reapplied (1st week of January) I enlightened my Sargeant on the situation, she rang up the ballistics department and got a written letter from them saying what I wanted was normal and fully within the law.

The super dragged his heels on the application and it was the end of February and he still hadn't refused me. My Sargeant grew tired of it, rang up the lads in Dublin and they completed the substitution over the phone for her and sent me out my license!
    Jays-us isn't it just unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭badaj0z

That looks like good service to me and fair play to the people involved who were prepared to take risks to provide it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

patsat wrote: »
    Where do I start Grizz??

PLEASE dont tell me that is our mutual friend in Henry St??:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    PLEASE dont tell me that is our mutual friend in Henry St??:(

Nah, I'm out the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Have heard about a similar situation from someone in a completely different district too Grizz. So it seems calibre changes can cause a few headaches, was also resolved though so it's more a speed bump than a road block.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

If you think that is bad try having a switch barrel rifle..the but thats the same serial number conversation gets boring bout the 7th time you have it..haha

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Hi Grizz, It should be straight forward amendment on your licence depending on how good/co operative you FO is. I have had a rifle re barreled from 308-6xc back to 308. It was only ever a week or so changing licence but have to say Im luckly to have an understanding FO. Once you explain the rifle will be used for the same reason, be it deer stalking or target work, they should be reasonable. Good luck with it and hope it works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

This changing the calibre of the gun on a permanent basis could not happen elsewhere in the EU, as the rest of the EU is bound by the CIP regulations. The 'as-manufactured' calibre rifle has a unique serial number that follows it in a paper-trail.

Only those few rifles that are actually MADE to have interchangeable barrels and calibres, like certain Mausers, Blasers, Desert Tech et al, are exempted from the CIP rulling - any of you here who have a SAKO Quad to confirm this?

IF I changed out my barrel for a new one in the same calibre- no change to the serial number of the gun. If I changed it out to a different calibre, say .308Win to .270, based on the fact that only the hole in the barrel has altered, then I would have to have the rifle renumbered as though it was a new gun - say by the simple method of adding a letter to the serial number.

One of those rare occasions where a perceived lack of documentation can work in your favour.

Sooner or later, though, the RoI is going to have to join in the rest of Europe and sign up to the CIP - that might just be the only way that you'll ever get general reloading, like the rest of us, as that part of shooting is implicit in the regulations.

tac

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

tac foley wrote: »
    Sooner or later, though, the RoI is going to have to join in the rest of Europe and sign up to the CIP

That would require the state to fund and operate a proof house though. There's about as much chance of that happening as there is of me getting an all expenses paid trip to the moon.

Maybe if we were one of the last of the EU countries to join they might join out of embarrassment, but less than half of the EU28 are members.

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    That would require the state to fund and operate a proof house though. There's about as much chance of that happening as there is of me getting an all expenses paid trip to the moon.

Maybe if we were one of the last of the EU countries to join they might join out of embarrassment, but less than half of the EU28 are members.

True thing.

Although, when there were Irish gun-MAKERS, rather than assemblers of parts, there was one in Dublin.

I digress, for which, apologies.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

This changing the calibre of the gun on a permanent basis could not happen elsewhere in the EU, as the rest of the EU is bound by the CIP regulations. The 'as-manufactured' calibre rifle has a unique serial number that follows it in a paper-trail.

Only those few rifles that are actually MADE to have interchangeable barrels and calibres, like certain Mausers, Blasers, Desert Tech et al, are exempted from the CIP rulling - any of you here who have a SAKO Quad to confirm this?

IF I changed out my barrel for a new one in the same calibre- no change to the serial number of the gun. If I changed it out to a different calibre, say .308Win to .270, based on the fact that only the hole in the barrel has altered, then I would have to have the rifle renumbered as though it was a new gun - say by the simple method of adding a letter to the serial number.

One of those rare occasions where a perceived lack of documentation can work in your favour.

Sooner or later, though, the RoI is going to have to join in the rest of Europe and sign up to the CIP - that might just be the only way that you'll ever get general reloading, like the rest of us, as that part of shooting is implicit in the regulations.

tac

But then again most of the EU and CIP countries have sensible gun legislation in the first place so this would be a moot point as I[1] could proably buy a second rifle or upper in this case with little or no problems in my desired caliber.[2] Have a civillian liscensing authorithy with some cop on as to what I'm talking about[3] understand and liscense multi caliber rifles with no problem at all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MarkWolff

tac

How does that work with stand alone actions.
    Off the shelf items such as RPA Quadlites / quad locks etc etc, no specific caliber when sold

MarkWolff wrote: »
    How does that work with stand alone actions.
    Off the shelf items such as RPA Quadlites / quad locks etc etc, no specific caliber when sold

The basic action has its own serial number. Each barrel bought subsequently also has it own serial number. In many CIP countries, not all, but UK included, each added barrel in a different calibre is counted as 'another firearm'.

An unchambered but rifled barrel has not undergone the CIP compulsory proof. When it is chambered for a particular cartridge, then it must be proofed for that specification cartridge, and then has a serial number applied prior to proof so that documentation and registration can take place.

What you do in the RoI with imported direct from the USA rifled but unchambered barrels is entirely your business, but no gun assembled in the RoI that has not been made using a CIP-nation chambered barrel - Lothar Walther, whatever - can subsequently be offered for sale in the UK or any other CIP country without it having been subjected to proof in the country in which it is to be sold. Having been proofed in one CIP Proof House, it would then be able to be sold throughout the CIP market.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

Tac
    There not a serial number on the barrels here

Friend has a .22lr and .17hmr and was told he didn't need a separate license for it as there was only the one serial number which is on the action

Is this a multi-barrel SAKO Quad, all bought at the same time?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

I just re-barreled my rifle, 6.5x55 to 6mmbr.
    I just put in for a regular substitution.
    Paperwork - 6.5x55 stored with RFD and I subbed for 6mmbr from RFD. No issues at all, license back in 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

Process for changing caliber here ,
    1. Take rifle to gunsmith.
    2. Tell him what caliber you want .
    3. Pick up rifle when ready .
    4. Pay gunsmith.

Advertisement