Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglers Rest

Options
  • 29-08-2015 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have feedback on this venue for weddings? I've been trying to get in contact with them about hosting our wedding there but they won't respond to my emails, so not getting a great vibe! Tried calling a number of times also but no answer :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I've held (club social) events here and never had any problems with them answering the phone.

What times are you ringing at? It is a pub/restaurant after all.

You need to ask for Mary the wedding co-ordinator/events organiser. She is fantastic.

I can't recommend it enough. Beautiful atmospheric room/decoration. Great food. Perfect for a chilled out kind of wedding.

Where do you live? Why not just call in and check it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

I contacted them a few months ago as a potential wedding venue and Mary is gone unfortunately as a lot of people had raved about her! I found them a little strange in their email back to me as they said I could have a band if I really wanted to but they'd prefer if I didn't. Any reviews I saw for them were great as a venue i just didn't feel I could have my band etc there without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

I think it's more geared towards good food, wine and conversation rather than go crazy on the dance floor. Could be wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Space is tight for a band and dancefloor is small but it can be done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I've been to a wedding there and the venue and service was brilliant. I would have booked it for my own wedding but it was a tiny bit to small for the # we needed.

Keep trying.

Though I agree non-responsiveness is a real issue, that took Mount Druid off the cards for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I would think a band would not work great in this venue. It's kind of a dinner amd then dj & dancing kind of venue - the dance floor is grand, once one person gets up the while place is up type of venue.
    The decor of the room is fab.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I have done a few weddings there over the last few years. It would be a bit tight for a band but a DJ is just perfect. Plus Anglers is somewhere to go when you want it a bit different than the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've seen bands work great there same as djs; The venue obviously have less disruption to the downstairs restaurant with a dj only than with both band and dj pulling their gear through.

sweetie wrote: »
    I've seen bands work great there same as djs; The venue obviously have less disruption to the downstairs restaurant with a dj only than with both band and dj pulling their gear through.

Back door, side enterance, although its a pain in the hoop carrying gear up those steps! :(

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I was at a wedding here a few years ago and there was a band and I have to say it was, without a doubt, the best wedding I've ever been too. Yes the dance floor is small but so is the venue so it's not going to be like trying to stick 300 people on it. I'd definitely have a band if I want having my wedding there

• Advertisement

ChewChew wrote: »
    I'd definitely have a band if I want having my wedding there

A DJ is better!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Well myself and himself took a trip out there today for a bite to eat. I have to say the service downstairs was brilliant the waiter was excellent. Unfortunately the atmosphere was completely ruined by a disgraceful man (use this term loosely) who was threatening his poor child with a knife and a good slap (no joke!)

Anyway Noleen is the new co-ordinator and I had a quick nosey upstairs and a quick chat and she was lovely.

The food is great so that's a plus. Room upstairs looks great.

Corkage 20 euro for prosecco and 10 for wine do you think this could be bargained with? There's no finger food or wine included in the per head price so I'm hoping they will give a little somewhere and there's also a 10% service charge. Is this the norm (service charge I mean)?

800 euro for a bar extension until 2.30!!!

So realistically it's not working out any cheaper than most of the bigger venues which I'm surprised at, however I do really like it!

She also said no bands just dj!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ChewChew wrote: »
    I was at a wedding here a few years ago and there was a band and I have to say it was, without a doubt, the best wedding I've ever been too. Yes the dance floor is small but so is the venue so it's not going to be like trying to stick 300 people on it. I'd definitely have a band if I want having my wedding there

:D:D:D

^^^
    We got married there in 2012 (I think). we had a band but no DJ, friends brought their own instruments for a sing song.

We paid for the bar extension. We were dealing with Mary and she wouldn't budge on the corkage. We wanted to bring some craft beers and she completely vetoed that but she did stock up on bottle of dark rum, bottles of McArdles and pint bottles of Guinness.

I cant remember if there was a service charge or not but the fact that we could have 4 choices for starter and main swung it for us.

Advertisement