Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice for friend just seperated

• 21-04-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

im looking advice for my friend.

her husband recently moved out of their home. they have three very young kids, she has a teenager from a previous relationship.
    neither of them have been working for a few years, he was doing some kind of a fas course/scheme a few days a week.
    they were living on his allowance and whatever child benefit they get. she got his money and he took money from her.

now he says he is going to sign on himself, and she will have to get whatever she is entitled to for her and the kids.
    she thinks she will be getting less money now, he will be getting more for himself (job seekers just for him, approx 200 euro a week)

she is beside herself and up to her eyes with the kids, i told her to go to citizens advice but i guess at the moment its not a priority for her, she is so busy and she says she wont get an appointment for ages.

i guess im just asking here, if anyone knows what exactly she and kids will be entitled to? they have a house, wouldnt give it away now, and she is covering the mortgage at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

how is she covering the mortgage if neither were working is she getting help with paying that at the minute?

she may be entitled to one parent family so she should apply for that but it will take a while for her to be assessed in the mean time she should find out were her local community welfare officer is and see him/her they will tell her what she is entitled to

here is a link that would explain one parent family and the amount of pay ect

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/one_parent_family_payment.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi, yes at the moment they are getting mortgage supplyment payment, i think its called?
    its due to finish soon though.

would it make any difference the fact that he has just moved out? i mean they havent had a legal seperation or anything like that yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If the youngest child is under 7, then she can claim One Parent Family Payment once she is separated for 3 months. If she has three young children and one teenager, then she will get a total of 188 for herself and 29.80 for each child, making 307.20.

If she is not yet 3 months separated, she can apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance from her local Community Welfare Officer. It is 2 Euro less than the One Parent Family Payment and will be paid until the One Parent Family Payment can be processed.

If her youngest child is 7 or over, then she will need to be looking for full-time work, and claiming Jobseekers Allowance.

She may be eligible for Mortgage Interest Supplement to help with the mortgage, but she should contact MABS immediately to get financial advice about how to deal with the mortgage and any other debt that she may have. www.mabs.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

She needs to consult a family law solicitor at her local Law Centre, her CWO, and the Dept of Social Welfare immediatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

wow, so her and her kids will get approx 310 euro a week and her husband will get approx 200euro a week for himself??

is this right, this is shocking to me! will he be required to give any of his money to her?

im not suggesting that he shouldnt get money at all, dont get me wrong, but because their marraige is over she is worse off and he is better off? can this really be the case?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If I may point out that we are not here to debate the rights and or wrongs of this scenario,just to offer advice.
    thanks

mp22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

hi, yes at the moment they are getting mortgage supplyment payment, i think its called?
    its due to finish soon though.

would it make any difference the fact that he has just moved out? i mean they havent had a legal seperation or anything like that yet?
    I dont think it makes any difference who moves out on who or who does what to who. She could seek a maintenance order from the court regarding their joint children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Just for reference the under 7 criteria for One Parent Family has not been introduced yet.
    Check out citizens information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

wow, so her and her kids will get approx 310 euro a week and her husband will get approx 200euro a week for himself??

is this right, this is shocking to me! will he be required to give any of his money to her?

im not suggesting that he shouldnt get money at all, dont get me wrong, but because their marraige is over she is worse off and he is better off? can this really be the case?

he should be paying over maintenance for his children out of his money. they are his responsibility too. if he isn't handing over money himself she can take him to court or something. i don't know the inns and outs of it, perhaps someone with more knowledge on here can point you in the right direction there

Advertisement