Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are mature students eligible for medical cards

Options
  • 21-04-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I recently found out that medical card holders get their prescribed medication for free. The medication I have been on for 2 years now has to be ordered in specially and costs me a little over €100 per month so I need a medical card. I was about to fill out the form but I read that people living with their parents are only eligible if they are under the age of 25. People 25 or over must provide information about their salary. I recently turned 25 but I am a mature university student so I don't have a job. I'm living in my mothers house until I get my degree and finally get a job out of my course (chemistry). Is this over the age of 25/salary eligibility thing set in stone or could I get the medical card if I explain the situation to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

But wouldn't the fact that you are a student and over the age of 25 mean that you have no salary??? I'm assuming you're not working.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You should apply.

Income not taken into account when assessing income for medical card purposes

Certain compensation awards:
    • Compensation payments made by the Residential Institutions Redress Board
    • Repayments made under the Health (Repayment) Scheme (that is, the Nursing Home repayment scheme)
    • Awards made to people who contracted Hepatitis C or HIV from contaminated blood products (together with income from the investment of that money)
    • Ex- gratia payments approved by the Lourdes Hospital Redress Board under the terms of the Lourdes Hospital Redress Scheme 2007.
    Certain payments made by the State:
    • HSE payments:Foster Care Allowance, Mobility Allowance, Blind Welfare Allowance, weekly supplements paid under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance scheme
    • Social welfare payments: Family Income Supplement, Child Benefit, Carer's Allowance, Domiciliary Care Allowance guardian's payments (for example, orphan's pension) and the Free Fuel, Island, Living Alone and Over 80 Allowances.
    • Other payments: Third level educational maintenance grants, Rehabilitation Maintenance Allowance, earnings from employment of a rehabilitative nature (up to €120.00 per week)
    From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/entitlement_to_health_services/medical_card.html

Advertisement