Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSB to JSA, what does this mean?

• 18-04-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I am on illness benefit and my husband has been working reduced hours for over a year now. Anyway he has been told that he has been paid all his JSB and that he needs to apply for JSA. I understand that this is means tested but am really worried about how they work out how much you are entitled too. We have 3 children. My husband received Euro376 pw net. He was getting Euro116 on JSB, should he still get that amount? Also does anyone know if it takes long to process this, his money was just stopped last week without any notice. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/means_test_for_jobseekers_allowance.html

have a read of that..

also you husbands JSB would not have just stopped he would have been given notice and told to apply for JSA...you get a letter in the post or when he has to sign on for his JSB he would have been told, and it is his responsibility to apply for JSA, if he had done this then there would have been no break in payment

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

canihave wrote: »
    I am on illness benefit and my husband has been working reduced hours for over a year now. Anyway he has been told that he has been paid all his JSB and that he needs to apply for JSA. I understand that this is means tested but am really worried about how they work out how much you are entitled too. We have 3 children. My husband received Euro376 pw net. He was getting Euro116 on JSB, should he still get that amount? Also does anyone know if it takes long to process this, his money was just stopped last week without any notice. Thanks

I'm also about to move from JSB to JSA. I have been sent the forms to fill out, but nothing has been explained to me so I've no clue what I'll be entitled to. I am getting €94 pw, so I'm worried if I get less due to being means tested. My husband is on reduced wages, so we really don't want to be losing too much more.
    Have you been asked to provide bank statements, and have to said if they will be visiting your house?? I was told that may happen by someone. I'm not that worried about my bank account as I'm living out of my overdraft, so haven't a penny! Do they ask for my husband's bank statements too??

Its all very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭skate22

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I'm also about to move from JSB to JSA. I have been sent the forms to fill out, but nothing has been explained to me so I've no clue what I'll be entitled to. I am getting €94 pw, so I'm worried if I get less due to being means tested. My husband is on reduced wages, so we really don't want to be losing too much more.
    Have you been asked to provide bank statements, and have to said if they will be visiting your house?? I was told that may happen by someone. I'm not that worried about my bank account as I'm living out of my overdraft, so haven't a penny! Do they ask for my husband's bank statements too??

Its all very confusing.

As JSA is means tested they will need all your bank statements from both of you. If any payments are coming out of those statements to maybe a credit union for example you will have to explain this as well. Normally you will be called into the office to meet with a SW Inspector for the means test. You don't say if you have dependant children or not but the Max rate for both of you is 312 euro.

The calculation goes as follows: (Assuming no large amount of capital,2nd house etc)

Spouses gross wage less PRSI (not USC) less pension,pension levy less Union Subs =Net Income

-Disregard for days worked (e20 per day ,max e60 for the week)
    - Net Income minus e60 = X
    then
    60% of X = weekly means

Assuming the max rate for both of you is e312 per week you subtract your weekly means from this and that is your Social Welfare JSA payment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

skate22 wrote: »
    As JSA is means tested they will need all your bank statements from both of you. If any payments are coming out of those statements to maybe a credit union for example you will have to explain this as well. Normally you will be called into the office to meet with a SW Inspector for the means test. You don't say if you have dependant children or not but the Max rate for both of you is 312 euro.

The calculation goes as follows: (Assuming no large amount of capital,2nd house etc)

Spouses gross wage less PRSI (not USC) less pension,pension levy less Union Subs =Net Income

-Disregard for days worked (e20 per day ,max e60 for the week)
    - Net Income minus e60 = X
    then
    60% of X = weekly means

Assuming the max rate for both of you is e312 per week you subtract your weekly means from this and that is your Social Welfare JSA payment.

We don't have any kids yet, so just the two of us. I think I'll get roughly what I was getting on JSB, hopefully as I really can't afford to loose much more.
    I need to get the forms into the welfare office & hopefully it won't take too long. They have supplied me with some more cards to fill in the days I work, so I still get payment in the meantime.
    Just wondering also, when it changes to JSA do the payments still get sent by post as they do for me now with JSB or will I have to collect in post office??

Thanks for your help. Sorry for hijacking the previous posters thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    We don't have any kids yet, so just the two of us. I think I'll get roughly what I was getting on JSB, hopefully as I really can't afford to loose much more.
    I need to get the forms into the welfare office & hopefully it won't take too long. They have supplied me with some more cards to fill in the days I work, so I still get payment in the meantime.
    Just wondering also, when it changes to JSA do the payments still get sent by post as they do for me now with JSB or will I have to collect in post office??

Thanks for your help. Sorry for hijacking the previous posters thread!

Your earnings from employment will also be assessed for jsa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

What a week. They told my husband he is entitled to €10 on job seekers allowance, apparently that's due to his €376 income and my illness benefit which was €232 (3 kids). Today they stopped paying me for the kids so I am now down €44.70. So that's our money reduced by a total of €160 a week. We have zero savings and no other income. Would anyone know if your husbands gross pay is €395 a week would you be entitled to receive extra on illness benefit for kids? This is soul destroying

What a week. They told my husband he is entitled to €10 on job seekers allowance, apparently that's due to his €376 income and my illness benefit which was €232 (3 kids). Today they stopped paying me for the kids so I am now down €44.70. So that's our money reduced by a total of €160 a week. We have zero savings and no other income. Would anyone know if your husbands gross pay is €395 a week would you be entitled to receive extra on illness benefit for kids? This is soul destroying

wow, that's disgraceful! You should appeal it, its not on that they just cut your payments like that. I really am sick of how unfairly genuine people are being treated....when there is so much fraud going on! We are the ones paying for it and its totally unfair.

Just wondering why your husband applied for JSA if he is working. As this allowance is means tested your benefit and his earnings would have been taken into account. Illness benefit is not means tested but goes on your earnings in the previous year and if your husband earns over €400 you cannot claim for the kids. Go back to the SW office and ask them to explain why your benefit was cut as this is a huge amount to be down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

When you go from JSB to JSA then it is means tested. They treat you all as a family unit.

Are you saying that:

Your husband has an income from his reduced hours of 376 per week (+10 JSA) and you get 232 illness benefit.

Total 618 family income per week?

Do you have a mortgage or are you renting? Do you have a medical card?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

He applied for JSA as that's what he was told in the welfare office. I now have an income of €188 and my husband €376. Yes our mortgage repayments are €1030 per month. Thankfully we do have medical cards. His gross earnings are €402, so €2 over level for children, ridiculous.

• Advertisement

He applied for JSA as that's what he was told in the welfare office. I now have an income of €188 and my husband €376. Yes our mortgage repayments are €1030 per month. Thankfully we do have medical cards. His gross earnings are €402, so €2 over level for children, ridiculous.

That sounds about right, I know €2 over the limit and your payment reduced by that amount. Have you applied for Family Income Supplement (FIS).

The weekly amount for your family size is €702 and you get 60% of the difference which by rough calculation is about €67.20 per week. It does go on the previous years wage for your husband but it is worth looking into.

Best of luck :rolleyes:

Advertisement