Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job Seekers Benefit back pay left short!

• 28-09-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was laid off earlier this year - I didnt go into the social welfare office until 3 weeks after my official last day of work. This was because it took some time for my redundancy payment to come through at the end of the month and I wanted all my details to be sorted before makin a claim all in 1 trip.

Anyway a letter came through today from the SW office stating that my back pay will start from 3 weeks after my last day of work. At the time of my claim I asked the welfare officer would I get paid from my last day of work and she assured me I would.

I rang up today to see if I could get this date changed thinkin it would be an easy fix due to maybe a small misunderstanding. The woman I got on the phone was almost shouting at me saying that I should have submitted a "retro claim" at the time of my initial claim! I kept cool and said "My last day of work is in black and white in my application. This is the first time I've heard the term retro claim and I was assured at the time by #welfare officers name# that I would be entitled to payment from my last day of work and I'm counting on the extra 600 euro for bills - Im not tryin to pull a fast on here just claim what Im entitled to". She basically said there was nothing she could do and that it was my fault for not filing a "retro claim" and hung up the phone.

Couldnt believe it! after workin hard for many years this is what I get. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there an obvious reason why this rule is in place? and what can I do or say to try and get the extra cash?

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You should have written a letter requesting them to backdate it, and included it along with your claim.

Your best bet now is to go into the office to try to sort it out, although you'll probably be told it's not possible. No point ringing people up as they won't be dealing with your claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

As above poster said you should have applied to have your claim backdated... well you should have been told by the person who took your claim to apply for back dating. Go into your local sw office and apply for backdating and explain the situation to them. If the backdating is disallowed then appeal this decision with all the relevant info with regard to your first meeting and the name of the person you dealt with. Btw it is not necessary to have P45 or redundancy info e.g. RP50 to make a claim.(Just adding this info in case anyone who checks out threads thinks they have to have items).

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

update: phoned up and after being told by 3 different people backdating isnt possible I finally got talking to the person who submitted my claim. She said it was my fauly as I didnt submit a letter with my initial claim. Fair enough. I asked what about submitting the letter now to get the cash - she said that wasnt possible. I said i'd be writing to the appeals office and naming her if she didnt backdate. Complete u-turn - asked me to mail the letter in. A few weeks later I got a cheque for what I was owed. Ridiculous system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vmasullo

HI

as I was waiting for the p45 for 2 weeks, I have claimed the JSB 2 weeks after. So Welfare refused to give the backdated money cause I should have gone before.

is that right ? or can I do something ?

thank you

Vincent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

vmasullo wrote: »
    HI

as I was waiting for the p45 for 2 weeks, I have claimed the JSB 2 weeks after. So Welfare refused to give the backdated money cause I should have gone before.

is that right ? or can I do something ?

thank you

Vincent

You can appeal their refusal for not backdating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vmasullo

thank you,

If I win or I lose the appeal, what are the consequences ?

thanks

Vincent

Advertisement