Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for dole

Options
  • 22-04-2012 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

I will be finish college in a few weeks and may have to get the dole until I find work. I hoping it wont be long on it.

Just a few questions. Will I get JB or JA. The reason I ask is I read somewhere that when deciding, they will go back two years. I was working until Aug 2010. It'll be great if I was to get JB as there isn't much waiting for it.

I got the back to education allowance during the year. What happens if I fail the course. It was very hard. Could I repeat and get it again?

If I cant get work. I dont want to end up bored on the dole. Do they allow you to do an evening course? One evening each week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

A claim in 2012 will be based on the Year 2010. If you have sufficient credits for that year you will qualify for JB.Your total earnings for that year are also looked at to determine if you are entitled to the full rate. You need to have earned in the region of at least 300 euro per week to get the full rate.They take your total earnings for 2010 and divide it by 52 to find your average weekly earnings. If your earnings are below this you may be better off applying for JA instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I worked for 31 weeks in 2010. That was 400 a week after tax. In total it would have been 12,400. Or before tax it would have been around 13,640.

Do they take this and divide by 52, even though it was only 31 weeks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I worked for 31 weeks in 2010. That was 400 a week after tax. In total it would have been 12,400. Or before tax it would have been around 13,640.

No you only have 31 payed up stamps for that year.Did you sign on as well (in 2010)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

No I didnt sign on for 2010. I did sign on for about for months last year from may-sept 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

apologies, they divide by the number of contributions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

No I didnt sign on for 2010. I did sign on for about for months last year from may-sept 2011.
    • At least 104 weeks PRSI paid since you first started work
    And
    • Have 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year (a minimum of 13 weeks must be paid contributions*)
    Or
    • Have 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year.
    *If you do not have 13 paid contributions in the relevant tax year, you must have paid 13 contributions in any of the following years:
    • The 2 tax years before the relevant tax year
    • The last complete tax year
    • The current tax year.
    The Relevant Tax Year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which your claim is made. So, for claims made in 2012, the Relevant Tax Year is 2010.

from here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

You should call in to your local office and check if you qualify for JSB if not start your claim for JSA.

start this tomorrow (Monday) if possible

Advertisement