Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call your auld one?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Mater..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

...Rotunda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

First name usually or mam if I am looking for something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Smother... I mean mother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

"Thanks for the dinner"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mainly Mammy, sometimes Mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

For fuck sake.

Mom is not American. It's commonly used in America but was taken to America by emigrants from the British West Midlands.

I say mom, as has every Brummy for centuries. I'm not American. 'Mom' isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

maya (pronounced myaaaahhhh) until we visited family in the uk when i was a toddler , then mom after that so i must have picked it up from my uk cousins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

mom or mommy (but pronounced mum/mummy) (i'm canadian)
    or MAAAAAA when i want to irritate her :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Mam. Or Maaaaaaa when i want something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Mam when talking to/about her, her name when I'm trying to get her attention, and I called both parents by their first names til I was about three because I didn't know there were other names for them...I'm the eldest in my family though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    My mam (I call mine mam) would complain if I got her a mother's day card saying "Happy Mother's day Mum" because we call her mam and mum sounds too English.

So are people still using the traditional "mammy" and "mam" or are mum and mom the main ones know as the media would lead us to believe?
    Pretty sure Corkonians say Mum, it's not just an English thing.

I call her Ma cos I'm a dirty northsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

In the family house shes "mam"

outside that I refer to her as "the weapon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mo Mhathair.

All other variants bear the draconian Brit jackboot of colloquial rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

When I was really young it was Mammy, then as I got older it became Mam, then as you become a grumpy lazy teenager it was Ma, now I'm grown up and don't live at home I hardly call her at all.

It's a natural progression I reckon.

I love me ma though, best one you could ever want and I know you're all jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - When I'm at the house.

Mumsie Poo - Whenever I send her a card for her birthday, never realised the brother does the same thing :pac:

NothingMan wrote: »
    When I was really young it was Mammy, then as I got older it became Mam, then as you become a grumpy lazy teenager it was Ma, now I'm grown up and don't live at home I hardly call her at all.

It's a natural progression I reckon.

I love me ma though, best one you could ever want and I know you're all jealous.

Lies! My Mam is the bestest! FACT! :D

Kiera wrote: »
    Lies! My Mam is the bestest! FACT! :D

I challenge you to a Mam off!

• Advertisement

NothingMan wrote: »
    I challenge you to a Mam off!

Done! In fact, my Mam will take you on as well as your Mam! She's THAT great :P

/Feck it, throw in your Dad there too!

Kiera wrote: »
    Done! In fact, my Mam will take you on as well as your Mam! She's THAT great :P

/Feck it, throw in your Dad there too!

Nah, my Da's not so great so my Ma had to be triply great to make up for that lump. So she could easily take ya all on, or just invite you's in for a cuppa tea or a vodka and coke and you'd be so charmed by her we'd all just party all night and forget about this battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

brummytom wrote: »
    For fuck sake.

Mom is not American. It's commonly used in America but was taken to America by emigrants from the British West Midlands.

I say mom, as has every Brummy for centuries. I'm not American. 'Mom' isn't.

Yes Mom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Just Mum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I call her by her name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭FF and proud

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Just saw an Irish ad on TV for some kinda chicken-tonight type convenience food where the son calls his mother "mom". There's also several ads where people call their mothers "mum". The only time you hear mammy is in a silly way is" Mammy McGuire" on the ads for Magner's cider.

"Mom" is the American one but seems to be gaining more and more popularity as our youths become more influenced by America. When I was growing up in the 80s it was usually "Mammy" or "Mam" or "Ma", occasionally "Mum" but that was generally seen as posh. I had an cousin who moved over from England when he was young and he called his "mummy" which was a source of much amusement. "Mum" seems more common now along with "Mom".

My mam (I call mine mam) would complain if I got her a mother's day card saying "Happy Mother's day Mum" because we call her mam and mum sounds too English.

So are people still using the traditional "mammy" and "mam" or are mum and mom the main ones know as the media would lead us to believe?

Ah sure it will always be mammy for me. Mum is for the English and mom is for the Yanks, it will always be mammy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Mom.

I know it's gaining use amongst certain people as an Americanism but it's not. I don't know anybody where I grew up (South/South-West Munster) who calls their mother anything else.

For everyone who insists it's purely an Americanism, my dad was born in the 40s, didn't have a TV growing up, has never been to America, probably never met an American until he was in his 30s and he grew up calling his mother "Mom" as she did her mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Mam or Ma!

And I'm afraid mine is the best, she has been since practically the very start of my existence!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Mammy.. or fanny ann:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Maaaa

Advertisement