Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brussels

Options
  • 10-07-2015 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

myself and my girlfriend are looking at going to Brussels at the end of july/start of august for 3 or 4 nights. We were looking at a hotel called "The Hotel Brussels" which seems central enough and looks very nice, has anyone heard of it or recommend anywhere else? What would be the easiest way to get from the airport to hotel, taxi or public transport?
    Also if you could recommend anything good to do while there

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Yeah The Hotel Brussels is very modern and conveniently located. Its easier to take the train from National airport into Gare Centrale - they run about every 10 minutes. You could get a metro to Porte de Namur or Louisa which are near the hotel. I don't know if the same metro line serves Centrale.

Go on a walking tour of Brussels - they depart from the Grand Place in the morning and afternoon. You pay what you think its worth. Good for some local views of Brussels life and history.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

wait4me wrote: »
    Yeah The Hotel Brussels is very modern and conveniently located. Its easier to take the train from National airport into Gare Centrale - they run about every 10 minutes. You could get a metro to Porte de Namur or Louisa which are near the hotel. I don't know if the same metro line serves Centrale.

Go on a walking tour of Brussels - they depart from the Grand Place in the morning and afternoon. You pay what you think its worth. Good for some local views of Brussels life and history.

Sounds interesting. Going to Brussels soon too with the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

The atomium is pretty cool but it's a bit out side the city..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The Military museum is excellent, Rue D'Archschott is well worth a visit.
    Good bars include Le Coq ( Metro: Bourse), Monk ( M: St Catherine/ De Brouckere), Mini Europe beside Heysel Stadium is a bit of fun ( Metro : Heysel).
    Maison Antoine for Belgian Frites on Place Jourdain ( Metro: Schuman), you can your food into the nearby Bars as long as you buy a drink.
    Mer du Nord for some alfresco fish dining is rather excellent, I've only been to the one at St Catherine.
    If your into cheap drinking Celtica is cheap ( Bourse) and open all night,
    Delirium is also worth a visit for the vast selection of beers.
    Taxis are expensive and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

If you have not booked your already, consider http://www.hotelwelcome.com/en/. Very central and a bit different.
    1. The city council has extended the pedestrian areas in central Brussels so just walking about is a day out.
    2. Night time in St. Catherine and around is pretty hip. There is a sort of cocktail van parked up and people just sit out and chat if the evening is warm.
    3. Sunday morning antiques in the Sablon.
    4. Off the Grand Place, behind the Royal Windsor Hotel is a nice place for pizza, greek food etc. Handy if you are in a hurry.
    5. http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2008/feb/19/brussels.bars
    6. Shopping? Yeah well it will happen, there are not many shops that are not in Ireland and I believe the prices are higher. The last week there was a massive Q outside Pennys(Primark)???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm going to be in Brussels for an afternoon/night in a couple of weeks. Staying at Theatre Hotel, it's in red light area but is cheap, fairly central and rooms are nice. Was planning on just strolling around taking in the sights and visiting a few of the famous bars like Delerium etc. Will probably finish the evening in the St. Catherine area for a few cocktails on the street as it is near the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions, heading there Thursday week, looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Contact your local mep and get a tour of the Parliament building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Simply Red wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions, heading there Thursday week, looking forward to it

Hey Simply Red, just wondering how did you get on in Brussels? I am going on holidays for a few days in Brussels and looking for things to do and things to avoid. I would love to do the chocolate tour but it is very expensive at €70.

Havent gone yet, heading early thursday morning, will post a reply when we're back :)

• Advertisement

Simply Red wrote: »
    Havent gone yet, heading early thursday morning, will post a reply when we're back :)

I'll be going next week ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Unfortunately I cant remember many names/details but there are far better bars in Brussels than Delerium.

I thought it was a bit of a tourist trap and not the best place to sample the numerous great beers over there.

Trond wrote: »
    Unfortunately I cant remember many names/details but there are far better bars in Brussels than Delerium.

I thought it was a bit of a tourist trap and not the best place to sample the numerous great beers over there.

Monk, Le Coq, Greenwich, A la mort subtile, La Lunette, A la Becasse.

Hey Simply Red, just wondering how did you get on in Brussels? I am going on holidays for a few days in Brussels and looking for things to do and things to avoid. I would love to do the chocolate tour but it is very expensive at €70.

You might get a cheaper chocolate tour around Rue d'Arsechott, very diverse and cultural district .

You might get a cheaper chocolate tour around Rue d'Arsechott, very diverse and cultural district .

Hey thanks for that - I found one its e30 so that's manageable.

Just wondering is it worth going to Amsterdam for a day or is there enough to do in Brussels?

The itinerary so far (not in any particular order):
    Sandmanes Walking tour
    Chocolate tour
    Visit to TinTin/Herge museum
    Vintage automobile museum
    National history museum
    Visit to the European Union

Any other locations worth visiting? Not really into bars.

Hey thanks for that - I found one its e30 so that's manageable.

Just wondering is it worth going to Amsterdam for a day or is there enough to do in Brussels?

The itinerary so far (not in any particular order):
    Sandmanes Walking tour
    Chocolate tour
    Visit to TinTin/Herge museum
    Vintage automobile museum
    National history museum
    Visit to the European Union

Any other locations worth visiting? Not really into bars.

Military Museum, Mini Europe, ride the metro trams and buses, about €6 for a three day pass.
    Even if your not into bars at least visit one or two and try a Belgian beer and enjoy the ritual of the pour and the distinctive glass for each beer.
    Go to Maison Antoine for the frites and Mer du Nord for the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭navosa

Thinking about going to Brussels for a weekend with the girlfriend in October, would it be worth spending a day in Bruges if only going for the weekend?

We went on this day trip to Ghent and Bruges and really enjoyed it. We were there for 3 nights and were glad we booked the Bruges trip in the end, a lot of the main sights are quite close together and we ended up seeing 90% of them in 1 day. The metro is excellent too for getting around

navosa wrote: »
    Thinking about going to Brussels for a weekend with the girlfriend in October, would it be worth spending a day in Bruges if only going for the weekend?

Bruges is fine for a day trip. There are some other interesting cities which are not as touristy and twee.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Spent 5 days in Brussels recently.
    Enjoyed the trip.
    The beer is very expensive, anything from 5.50 euro to 7 euro a half-litre. Maes was the nicest.
    Got a lovely tour of the Town Hall as there was a "hundred thousand flowers" exibition there. Beautiful tapestries, paintings and decorative art inside.
    Went to Antwerp too, beautiful city and very friendly people.

• Advertisement

Spent 5 days in Brussels recently.
    Enjoyed the trip.
    The beer is very expensive, anything from 5.50 euro to 7 euro a half-litre. Maes was the nicest.
    Got a lovely tour of the Town Hall as there was a "hundred thousand flowers" exibition there. Beautiful tapestries, paintings and decorative art inside.
    Went to Antwerp too, beautiful city and very friendly people.

You spent your entire time on the Grand Place I take it, since you paid €5.50-7 for a maes. Much better and cheaper beer available generally in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

You spent your entire time on the Grand Place I take it, since you paid €5.50-7 for a maes. Much better and cheaper beer available generally in Brussels.

So many people fall into that when in Brussels. Its a shame really. I was lucky enough to have loads of ex pats as friends so got to see so many other cool spots that otherwise Id have missed.

Its the nature of the City though, its huge and everything is so spread out compared to Dublin.

OSI wrote: »
    I'd sooner a trip back to Bruges than Brussels. Never a more desolate and boring city have I been than Brussels.

Haha great to hear a half an hour after booking the trip!

Considering taking the day trip to Bruges anyways, I'm sure we'll find something to do

Trond wrote: »
    So many people fall into that when in Brussels. Its a shame really. I was lucky enough to have loads of ex pats as friends so got to see so many other cool spots that otherwise Id have missed.

Its the nature of the City though, its huge and everything is so spread out compared to Dublin.

Any tips on some of the cool spots? Don't think we'd be too interested in the Grand Place anyways

navosa wrote: »
    Any tips on some of the cool spots? Don't think we'd be too interested in the Grand Place anyways

There are bus trips to Amsterdam and Luxembourg. Some collect from your hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Brussels has to be one of the worst capital cities in Europe, bruges is amazing though if a little touristy

Beersmith wrote: »
    Brussels has to be one of the worst capital cities in Europe, bruges is amazing though if a little touristy

Any recommendations of things to do in Bruges?

Advertisement