Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying car without tax

Options
  • 13-01-2015 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Looking at buying a car tmrw it has NCT but no tax.
    Is it possible to tax the car straight away after I buy it as I want to get it home asap or do I have to wait for the transfer or ownership?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You have to wait until the transfer of ownership (usually no more than a week). Play it safe and take a copy of the vlc with the date of purchase on it and keep it with you for if you get stopped. If you buy the car tomorrow or any other day before the end of the month, you owe tax from 1/1/2015

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭colincork

unkel wrote: »
    You have to wait until the transfer of ownership (usually no more than a week). Play it safe and take a copy of the vlc with the date of purchase on it and keep it with you for if you get stopped. If you buy the car tomorrow or any other day before the end of the month, you owe tax from 1/1/2015

Thinking that alright. I'd say I'll park it up in a relations driveway until I tax it. Do you think Gaurds would take the excuse that I just bought the car?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

colincork wrote: »
    Looking at buying a car tmrw it has NCT but no tax.
    Is it possible to tax the car straight away after I buy it as I want to get it home asap or do I have to wait for the transfer or ownership?
    unkel wrote: »

You can tax it straight away in your local motor tax office. I done it last year. You can bring the completed VLC straight into the tax office, hand it to them and tax it at the same time.

Takes a bit of trust from the seller though, as he has to sign the VLC and give it to you with the car.

Advertisement