Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

got a growler of Bonita in Carry Out Tyrrelstown this evening, not for tonight, I'm heading off for the weekend and just wanted to make sure I had something decent with me.

Not had it before, but heard great things so looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

2 questions for the Galway/Connacht people in the forum.

Can growlers be purchased in the Salt House, and if so do they also do fills there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

An File wrote: »
    2 questions for the Galway/Connacht people in the forum.

Can growlers be purchased in the Salt House, and if so do they also do fills there?

Yes and yes but only Galway bay beers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yes and yes but only Galway bay beers.

Super. Hopefully I'll be able to take some with me on the home leg of a road-trip Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Picked this up yesterday mainly for the 2 new glasses but look forward to the beer too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

got a growler of Bonita in Carry Out Tyrrelstown this evening, not for tonight, I'm heading off for the weekend and just wanted to make sure I had something decent with me.

Not had it before, but heard great things so looking forward to it.

Might pick one up later for the match this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Picked this up yesterday mainly for the 2 new glasses but look forward to the beer too.

Where did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

DarrenG wrote: »
    Where did you buy it?

Brussels airport I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Was in the brewdock last night and tried the following

Galway Bay Respect yer Elders - Was ok. I enjoyed it and would have again but felt it was a bit light on the body for a scotch ale.

Galway Bay Via Maris - I've had it before and enjoyed it but felt it was a bit too hop forward yesterday. Not sure if it was my taste on the day or if they've changed the recipe.

Trouble Brewing Cenennial SMASH. I enjoyed this one and it was my beer for the night. Well balanced and very tasty

Currently getting stuck into a litre growler of Bonita. It's exceptional.

Had it in the fridge for the day, took it out and poured a glass to see how it would develop down the glass.

Started off a lovely citrus and pine hoppy blast with some slight background caramel and warming from the 7%ish abv.

But as it warms you start getting cherries, really dark chocolate and even more treacley caramel, but still balanced properly with the hops doing great work.

Lovely beer from a brewery with potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a Jack Codys Drogheda Cream Stout Friday night, very nice stout, toasty, smoky and a nice amount of flavour. Had a Kinnegar White Rabbit yesterday, very nice, easy to drink, nice hoppy finish without being too bitter. And lastly a Jack Cody Duxie Grapefruit Tea Pale Ale last night, wasnt great, didnt get grapefruit at all, it was sweet smelling with a hint of sweetness and a mild hoppy finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Just finished focal banger and heady topper from the alchemist great beers for sure. Aroma is just on another level from what you can get in your local shop.
    Also, been told by member of drink store that doghish head is going to be avaiable soon can someone confirm this??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout, finally got my hands on a bottle, didn't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Independent Stout was gorgeous, don't think I've ever actually had a milk stout before, need to change that after tasting this! Tastes extremely rich for being 4.3%. From what I've had from them, they seem to be an overlooked brewery.

Stevens Point IPA was lovely as well, very very strong flavoured, full tasting, sweet and well hopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had their IPA the other day was pretty bad. Didn't know their stout was a milk stout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a White Hag Oatmeal Chocolate Milk Stout. Nice with roasted coffee and some chocolate at the end. A bit over carbonated for me which takes away from the smoothness I was hoping for

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Independent Stout was gorgeous, don't think I've ever actually had a milk stout before, need to change that after tasting this! Tastes extremely rich for being 4.3%. From what I've had from them, they seem to be an overlooked brewery.

They had two stouts at the RDS last year - a whiskey stout, which I thought was a bit heavy with the whiskey but others seemed to love, and a vanilla stout, which was possibly the highlight of the day for me. I'd definitely buy the latter if they ever bottled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Had some Eight degrees kiwi wit again this week, friggin great stuff! I also had some Heineken after a few of them and struggled to get the stuff down!

I was recommended a drink with "nitro" in the name of it but can't remember the full name... It was described as a stout that was creamy or something but can't remember the full name if anyone knows please let me know! Against the grain have it apparently

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/115076/

Never mind found it! I'll give it a whirl sounds delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Maybe left hand nitro? Verry nice stout indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

matrim wrote: »
    Having a White Hag Oatmeal Chocolate Milk Stout. Nice with roasted coffee and some chocolate at the end. A bit over carbonated for me which takes away from the smoothness I was hoping for

Tried a pint of that and was very dissatisfied, it was gloopy and head died very quickly , struggled to finish it, barman said they were taking it off sale as there were too many unhappy with it . Was expecting so much from it based on reports. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Rumun wrote: »
    Just finished focal banger and heady topper from the alchemist great beers for sure.

Where did you get the heady topper?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Rumun wrote: »
    Just finished focal banger and heady topper from the alchemist great beers for sure. Aroma is just on another level from what you can get in your local shop.
    Also, been told by member of drink store that doghish head is going to be avaiable soon can someone confirm this??

Jealous!

any decent boozers in Ranelagh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

any decent boozers in Ranelagh?

McSorleys and The Taphouse are OK

craft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Currently getting stuck into a litre growler of Bonita. It's exceptional.

It's great how tastes differ. I thought it was OK but wouldn't be in a hurry to get it again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ryath wrote: »
    Ghost Ship was quite nice I thought and is rated as the best of them.
    Turns out I don't like any of them
    And lastly a Jack Cody Duxie Grapefruit Tea Pale Ale last night, wasnt great, didnt get grapefruit at all, it was sweet smelling with a hint of sweetness and a mild hoppy finish.
    seems to be an issue with production as I have had it full of grapefruit flavour and then none at all other times. I had a botle over the weekend and drank it slowly over tiem to see did heating up make a difference but not really, this week it only had the mildest of hints of grapefruit.
    craft?

Taphouse as a decent range, the bar staff upstairs seem to know what they are serving you, the barstaff downstairs seem tot forget if a beer is gone or not and sometimes just serve you the wrong one if they are busy. McSorleys don't have much of a craft range, more one or two taps that are not Diageo or Heineken eg Rebel Red, Peroni.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Here's the blackboard in McSorley's, according to their Twitter last week:
    CFXOvTFWMAEealP.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

BeerNut wrote: »
    Here's the blackboard in McSorley's, according to their Twitter last week:
    CFXOvTFWMAEealP.jpg

That's quite a change since I was last there about a month and a bit ago. Might have to pay her a re visit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They've had BrewDog for years. Didn't used to be €6.40 a pint, mind :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement