Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too far Volvo, too far

• 13-01-2015 10:57am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The new S60 Cross Country. Hideous...

Volvo-S60-Cross-Country-2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Looks great IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

That's not that bad. One of the better looking volvos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Looks like one of those wind up cars I had when I was a young fella:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's rotten alright. Looks like it's on stilts ffs. V40 cross country is a really nice looking car, so I was really surprised when I saw how they mangled the v60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cross Country ... the ground clearance at the rear wheels looks terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmm..

Take standard car...

- Jack up suspension.. check
    - Add cheap looking plastic trim around the wheel arches and along the bottom of the doors.. check

Done! :rolleyes:

Personally I think it looks as bad as people who fit ridiculously big alloys to the car and/or lower them so it looks as if the arches are eating them, but each to their own I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If they removed the plastic arch trims and lowered her, it would look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

goz83 wrote: »

The irish version of making a car more suitable for our roads. Lower her til the sump scrapes lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

goz83 wrote: »

Good news! They're supposedly gonna make a model like that. The S60!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Dr.Teeth

Did someone leave the car jack under the back if it?
    Under that lighting its not great, in the flesh I'd say its terrible.

• Advertisement

I don't understand why they didn't colour code the plastic on the wheel arches.. is it supposed to be a visual thing that the tyres look bigger or something by adding black to their radius? :confused:

Either way, I don't love it or hate it. Mud flaps would have probably helped add to an aggressive off-road look. I like the way the rear is higher off the ground than the front (I've always liked that 'looking down' kinda pose on cars).

Overall i think it's nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That car is awful, anyone that likes it should feel about about themselves that or go to specsavers.

Looks like a oversized childs toy. There is nothing that is cohesive about that side profile.

Awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Toyota Ireland got there years ago with the Avensis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm a big Volvo fan, but I just don't get this. They are filling a niche that's not there. I suppose it's the cheapest way to produce a "new" model.

The V60 CC is bad enough - why there is any requirement for a model in between the V60 and the XC60, I don't know, but the S60 CC is a step too far.

Take a great car (which the S60 is), jack it up so it doesn't handle as well as the standard car does, and if the V40 / V40 CC is anything to go by, it will have worse fuel economy as well.

If they do a reasonably priced 4x4 version, then maybe, but if it's just FWD - no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It's not made for the Irish market so don't worry about it. It's like the early Rav 4's, Audi all roads, Subaru Foresters, Holden Adventra's etc..

It doesn't make sense if the car is never going to see anything but black top.
    Some markets like Australia, this car would go down well. Seen as a premium European brand, the ability to have some small off road capability in a country where 80% of their roads are dirt roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Leave the rugged stuff to the Estate models

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks like the A-Team got their hands on it.

They're wrong about it being the world's first crossover saloon. The suzuki x90 was a 2 door crossover saloon 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're wrong about it being the world's first crossover saloon. The suzuki x90 was a 2 door crossover saloon 20 years ago.

The AMC Eagle saloon got there first in 1980, it sold well and all.

1980AMCEaglefour-doorConcordline.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Jaysus:eek:

• Advertisement

Unlike BMW investing massive money in creating niches, this smacks of Rover Streetwise to me.

That said, if there's people that'll buy em...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I'm a Volvo guy too but that does look a bit odd. I'll reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh.

Kinda like those old school 80's low riders the Hispanic car guys in LA like so much. Like a crappy old Caprice on stilts and rolling on 22s.

The Aussies get (or got, I'm not sure) a jacked up Legacy saloon too. Basically a saloon Outback; called the Liberty X if memory serves me correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'd take that AMC eagle from the "tough americans" any day over it :pac:

Advertisement