Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question

Options
  • 12-01-2015 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks

The otherhalf has her NCT booked but drove into a kirb the weekend,
    So her front bumper broke around one of the Fog lights at the bottom ,
    I have removed the broken fog light and althoug the bumper is still attached it became slightly lose on one side (i put some cable ties on the inside to help secure it 100% (more for peace of mind ), Just wondering do you think it will fail the NCT due to this ,
    She doesn't have the cash at the moment to get it fixed straight away ,its more visual damage,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It doesn't have to be pretty, so as long as it's secure and has no sharp edges.
    I'm not sure about one missing foglight though.
    Got any pics?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They may advise you of it, but unless it makes the car inherently unsafe, I doubt it would be a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

thanks for the replys i suppose just go and see how she getso ne,
    Sorry no pics,
    Just thinking i can pop up the breakers yard at lunch and pic up a fog lamp on the cheap i'll fit it back in myself, I just took it out because it was smashed and looked bad,
    Will i be best coveruing the tear on the bumper with tape,
    it starts adirectly above the fog lampe and goes half way up towards the top of the bumper, it's just a tear up the bumper if you get me,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Tape FTW, that will get you through.
    Still not sure about that single fog. Would OP be better off taking the other one out too, replace it or leave it?
    In any case it's a visual retest only (free), so go with one fog and see what they say.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tape FTW, that will get you through.
    Still not sure about that single fog. Would OP be better off taking the other one out too, replace it or leave it?
    In any case it's a visual retest only (free), so go with one fog and see what they say.

I would have thought the same. Remove the other fog and get it sorted after the NCT. Surely they can't fail a car for not having fogs? (Although whether they will be able to tell the car is supposed to have fogs, and no doesn't....i just don't know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

I've heard it said that if the light is there it should work but I'm not sure if it includes fogs. A mate of mine failed a few weeks ago because the indicator lamp built into the door mirror wasn't working. A bit harsh I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Just remove the other fog. It'll fail with only one but it won't with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hey folks,
    I will replace the broken fog before the NCT, im going to get one up the breakers yard for cheap, so its just the tear in the bumper im worried about,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hey folks,
    I will replace the broken fog before the NCT, im going to get one up the breakers yard for cheap, so its just the tear in the bumper im worried about,

Should be no issue seeing as how it's only cosmetic!

maybe get a glue gun out or put some duct tape on it

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

It doesn't have to be pretty, so as long as it's secure and has no sharp edges.
    I'm not sure about one missing foglight though.
    Got any pics?

Yeah, you just need to make sure it's not loose or could come loose at high speed, and that it cannot in any way be deemed to be dangerous or sharp. Maybe you could tape the tear from the inside and it might not visually appear as bad.

If you can get a replacement light it's best. You'll fail if you only have one fitted (confusing to other road users) and if you remove the other you could fail if there is a warning light in the dash or loose wiring under the car which would indicate to the tester that lamps are missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Just remove the other fog. It'll fail with only one but it won't with one.

No it won't.

Just leave out the cracked/broken fog light and it will not be an issue .Have done it here on 2 different cars and never a problem with NCT.Same as removing spare wheel if bald etc.If its not present then they can't fail you on it.

Advertisement