Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Francis McManus 2012 Shortlist?

Options
  • 22-05-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Anyone know when it might be announced?

Ta.

Sparx :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

From memory it was to be about mid June. I know it was a long time from when the entries had to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laurenm94

It's the start of June, ridiculously long time to wait from the closing date!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sergeantgrover

laurenm94 wrote: »
    It's the start of June, ridiculously long time to wait from the closing date!
    The Entry Form (still up on the RTE website) says that the winners will be announced in June. That gives them another 3 weeks or so. I've heard that there was a record entry this year - about 1,200! I guess that might account for the delay.

I heard that a friend of a friend was notified that he is on shortlist of 25 who will have their stories broadcast in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laurenm94

ah well, guess that means its over for me then! Anyone else hear back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Redwolfe

I'm surprised that they record the stories so soon. I would've thought they'd announce the shortlist as soon as they had it.

Expect an announcement this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnod

Think the RTE Website post today suggests they are just about to announce...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

It has probably been said before but this is a very poorly organised competition. On their page they have announced that there is a shortlist of 23 but yet there is no mention of who is on the shortlist unless I am completely missing it. But if you google it you can see that they have announced the winners but not the shortlist:

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0612/storyaward.html

I think it is a very shabby way to treat the 1200 or so people who put a lot of effort into their entries. There has been no word for months and then they post a ridiculously cryptic announcement saying a shortlist has been drawn up but you have to search to see who has won it. They have already recorded the 23 shortlisted stories and judged them so they must have have drawn up the shortlist a while ago. Could they not have announced that? Seems to me like they have no regard for the entrants who like me were excitedly waiting to see how they did. They could have put us out of our misery weeks ago but they didn't bother.

I don't think I will bother entering this again. It doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Congratulations to the winners and shortlisted stories though!

Full shortlist is here http://www.rte.ie/radio1/francismacmanus/2010-06-13.html

A lot of Dublin addresses on the list, which may just reflect the fact that a lot of people live in Dublin.

I'm looking forward to hearing them, if only to moan that my story was so much better, and feel bitter at being overlooked yet again:mad: but I'll pick myself up and try again next year, remembering this time to bribe an out of work actor to read my entry to make sure it sounds right for radio.

• Advertisement

It would be interesting to know how far an individual entry got. They are judged anonymously (presumably numbered) and RTE presumably have a record of how each story fared. If your piece got to the last say 50 it might be some comfort that you were headed in the right direction (adjudicators usually say how difficult whittling down the last 25 was etc) . Anyone know of any competition where you can "track" how far your entry got?

Anyone know when this shortlist is being announced? Had it in my head that it was some time in May, but I'm not sure....

Think it was around mid-June last year so still hope.

Still hope so! Mind you, I think almost all the stories are read by "readers" before the judges get them. One judge told me he/she was always afraid they'd missed out on a good one; part of the problem of having readers I suppose..

That must be what keeps happening to mine, those silly 'readers' don't recognise my genius and fail to pass my masterpiece onto the judges.:)

Seriously, I suppose with so many entries they have to be whittled down somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

It was announced mid June last year. Well I say announced but that is giving them more credit than they deserve.

I posted about it earlier in this thread but I was very unhappy about how they annouced everything last year and I won't be entering this competition again. I don't think they had any regard for the hard work that lots of people put into their entries and announcing the shortlist was basically an after thought.

Shortlist has been announced. http://www.rte.ie/radio1/francis-macmanus-short-story/

The winner will be announced on June 18th and the stories on the shortlist will be broadcast from June 24th in the very late 11.10pm slot.
    Well done to everybody who made it this far and for the other 600+ of us there is always next year.

Advertisement