Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight razor honing on Naniwas. Video.

Options
  • 17-03-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi.
    Here's my honing video. Stones used: Naniwa Chosera 1K, Naniwa Super Stones 5K, 8K and 12K.

Enjoy watching:)

Maciek.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

macrob77, Excellent video.
    Would you ever consider doing a class on honing? Also, how many stones do you recommend for maintaining a razors edge? Would we need to get all 4 stones?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭macrob77

Please call me Maciek:)
    I would, we can organize something.
    For refreshing the edge you'll need just one. A finisher. It can be belgian coticule, thuringian, synthetics 8K+ or any other natural stones.

Maciek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Thanks Maciek,

I'm going to the US in May and was looking buy the Naniwa 12K, http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37&products_id=2864 Is that what you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Got my naniwa stones from these guys, better price than invisible edge. FYI. knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/naniwa-super-stones-japanse-sharpening-stones.htm

I bought from them as well. Naniwa 12K is very easy to learn. Have look on belgian coticule. It can be used for one stone honing. Very good stones.

Maciek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

0.5 micron lapping film will only cost a few Euro and can be used as a finisher. I do personally like the feel of honing on a stone more than the film, but lapping film gives me nice edges at a fraction of the cost of a high grit stone.

Coticules look like theres a high learning curve. Slurry ratios etc. naniwa are more user friendly. In my own opinion of course.

Unicot is very fast and easy method:

Maciek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Maciek, if your ever to put on a class for honing I'd be very interested also. For some reason I find it difficult.

Ok. If you tell us what is the problem maybe we can help you here. There is few people who know how to hone here. If you send your razor to me I can make it shave ready if you want.

Maciek.

• Advertisement

What's your current honing set up carddwizzard? Describe what your normal routine for honing would be and if there are any obvious issues we should hopefully be able to steer you in the right direction.

Thks for the offer of help, could appreciate it.

Firstly ive only tried honing a few times, if you remember you sent me some lapping paper Frank. I used that and again different paper I bought. Id rather wait until I know what I'm doing before investing in a stone.

I have a couple of vintage straights which I love, and a Chinese GD, which I don't care for much. When honing I just can't get it sharp enough, using 1,3,6,9,12k. I realise this is entirely my technique, so that's why id love a class or two.

We can organize something. But where? I live in Enfield Co. Meath.

Maciek.

macrob77 wrote: »
    We can organize something. But where? I live in Enfield Co. Meath.

Maciek.

I'm in Ratoath Co Meath but I'm flexible, and can travel.

Maybe next week? Do you have any stones?

I don't have any stones, but I can buy one and see if it gets here on time???

Any recommendations for someone like myself?

Or indeed if anyone has a stone for sale close to Dublin, Id be interested. Thks

Don't buy anything yet. I have a few stones. I'll let you know early next week.

Maciek.

Thks for the offer of help, could appreciate it.

Firstly ive only tried honing a few times, if you remember you sent me some lapping paper Frank. I used that and again different paper I bought. Id rather wait until I know what I'm doing before investing in a stone.

I have a couple of vintage straights which I love, and a Chinese GD, which I don't care for much. When honing I just can't get it sharp enough, using 1,3,6,9,12k. I realise this is entirely my technique, so that's why id love a class or two.

The only thing I would say about that setup is that getting the bevel set is the most important part. There is no point moving to a different film If the bevel isn't right. With that said I don't even use the film to set a bevel.

I use a 1k Chosera (same one as in Macieks video) and once I have a bevel I'm happy with I'll go to the films. They are a wonderful cheap way to finish honing a razor.

+1 on setting the bevel is the most important part.

Maciek.

Can someone simplify this for me. Do I use jewellers loupe & see bevel is set. i.e. sharp edge on both sides of razor edge. Or thumb test or Hanging hair test. How do I know when the 'bevel is set'.

• Advertisement

See if it shaves arm/leg hair or chest hair. If it removes hair from heel to tip of the blade without any problems, you should be good to move on to the next stage.

If I've been honing a few razors from setting the bevel to finishing I will end up with bald patches on my shins or forearms.

I have a Naniwa Speciality 1k stone. (They used to be called Naniwa Super stones). Is there a noticeable functional difference between that and the Naniwa Chosera 1k stone. (Now rebranded as Naniwa professional). Chosera 1k seems to be the go to stone on the forums for bevel setting.

They are both 1k rated so they will both set a bevel. From what I've read the Chosera is just better at doing it and is harder than the Super stone so it is going to last longer.

The super stone is going to take a bit longer to get the bevel set but it will do it. There is no point in you buying the Chosera when you already have a bevel setter. Spend the money on a good finishing hone instead would be my advice.

skankles wrote: »
    Can someone simplify this for me. Do I use jewellers loupe & see bevel is set. i.e. sharp edge on both sides of razor edge. Or thumb test or Hanging hair test. How do I know when the 'bevel is set'.

This how i do it. I'm dulling razor on glass with no pressure. Inspecting bevel with 30X loupe. If i find bigger microchips they need to be removed first. If there's none or small ones i start setting a bevel on 1K. When working on 1K i observe how edge is undercutting water on the stone. If there are any spots that's don't i need to focus on them. From time to time i'm doing thumb pad test. The edge should "stick" to thumb pad. Do that carefully to not cut yourself. If i'm happy with thumb pad test i don't need to test how it shaves. Visual inspection. Bevel should reflect light as a one line.

That's for bevel setting.

Maciek.

Hey. Just grabbed a nice little raza off eBay for first honing project. Its a Vintage Carl Friedrich ERN, 5/8 with some sexy scales.
    url]http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac86/neilfog/th_857e1a3f-ae78-4b46-83e0-3a789704bfcd_zpsqzkb2dao.jpg[/url
    Honing Set up. Naniwa Specialty 1k...Norton 4k/8/k...finish on Naniwa 12k. Strop and go hopefully.

So thanks to all you crazy ones, misfits, rebels, troublemakers, round pegs in the square holes for inspiring what will hopefully be a new (and very expensive) hobby!

Cardwizzard, i am sorry but i can't make it this week. We'll meet next week, i promise.

Maciek.

macrob77 wrote: »
    Cardwizzard, i am sorry but i can't make it this week. We'll meet next week, i promise.

Maciek.

Maciek,

That's no problem. Im in no rush whatsoever. I hope I'm not putting pressure on you, that wasn't my intentions. When your ready that's fine.

Cardwizzard, my apologies, i hadn't got a time lately. You know what, send me your razor and i'll hone it for you. PM me if that's suits you.

Maciek.

Struggling to set a bevel at the minute. One side looks good under the scope otherside barely there, despite hundreds of X patterns. So i'm putting alot of time honing into the ackward side but I might be focusing on wrong side.

QUESTION (stupid one probobly) Side A (Engraved side let's say) if i do hanging hair test with side A facing my arm is it side A thats doing the cutting (thats how I understand it)or is it actually side B the side facing up?

• Advertisement

On the side that doesn't look good, put in more work. Try 30 strokes on just the side that doesn't look good and reevaluate. You might need to do even more strokes on just that side until you get it looking good. Doing that should help and then you will be able to go back to the X patterns to refine the edge a bit before moving on.

Advertisement