Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Have A Positive Experience with Satellite Broadband ?

Options
  • 12-04-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I have heard so many bad things about Satellite Broadband... is there anyone out there with a positive viewpoint on this broadband solution.

There's a new provider ibub dot ie that is offering fairly good speeds 15MB down with 2MB up... and speed guarantee of 9MB.... plus caps up to 150GB per month... I'm in the graphics business... plus I love streaming services like Spotify, YouTube and Netflix.... can Satellite delivery comfortable on these services.... or is it still the poor relation to fixed line or wireless.

I currently have fixed wireless with from 3-5MB download speeds and 1-2mb upload speeds.

Anyone ever have a positive experience...?

Regards,
    Desperate Designer in County Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I think almost 2 days of silence in this thread should answer your question. ;)

Boardsies are actually good to tell people of positive experiences when asked directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 troy2062

Unless your only means of obtaining an internet connection involve dialup or shouting from the rooftop, I would advise you to stay away from satellite broadband. I currently have a 22Mb/6Mb contract with Onwave as a backup connection and inevitable latencies introduced by the laws of physics aside, the service is poor when it is existent at all.

During the day, it is rare to see more than 1-2Mb of bandwidth. The only period of time during which the advertised speeds are attainable is between the hours of about 02:00 and 09:00. It is convenient in a sense as the service is unmetered between midnight and 06:00, however I would not recommend satellite to anybody as a primary internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭CreativeAnto

Hi Troy.... thank you so much for coming back top me with those very 'real experience' style comments. That really spells out for me how bad Sat really is... and that the speeds quoted are really not a reflection on what you get in the real world under real life conditions.

Since I started up this thread I did try out a Meteor mobile broadband device that I have stuck to a specific corner of one window in our home that is giving us 5 bars of 3G signal... it's now costing me €29.99 per month for a 30GB cap... but it is a working Plan B incase my main network goes down. The speeds with the 5 Bars can differ.... but I can get anywhere from 3MB to 8MB download speeds... and sometimes I even get 1 bar of 4G and my speeds can dramatically increase up to 12MB downloads. Still.... so frustrating that I can't have a high speed connection.... just little sniffs of one!! :)

Thanks again for everyone's helpful comments and suggestions. It's been a very well worth exercise getting to hear what other people think and the advise of one contributor to even explore that mobile 3G route is what delivered me a viable solution...

So thank you again to everyone that commented and contributed.

Roll on the Vodafone/ESB initiative... that will hopefully be all our salvation when it finally arrived in 2020!! :)

Anthony

Advertisement