Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky+, problem since update, help wanted

• 19-09-2005 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Can't get through to sky, huge queues, Vampy trying to do accounts and very frazzled anyway.
    Since the last update I am losing live pause and rewind. They work fine on recorded stuff (although I'm getting a huge amount of failed recordings) but not on what I'm watching. The settings are fine, rewind set for 60 mins etc. If I do a reboot they work fine but seem to vanish again after a while. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i was getting this too but it sorted itself after about 4 reboots

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

:eek: I must have already done that numer of reboots. The first reboot actually misfired and had to be done again. (Unlike anyone else in the house I do let it take the full time plus) Many thanks for the hopeful response.

sorry i cant be more optimistic

but why the hell do Sky release an update like this that messes up one of the main selling points for the system

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

I've just come off the phone to Sky, reporting the same problem, plus a few I haven't seen reported (ie when any recording begins, the "live" channel repeatedly freezes, every 10 seconds or so, and only a quick change-of-channel-and-back-again sorts it out, for 10 more seconds...)

Anyway they told me a Sky + planner rebuild will sort it out. I haven't tried yet as I'm in the middle of recording Lost and don't want to, well, Lose it (sorry).

Anyone else tried this, with any success?

Well I have a couple of things I want to watch before I would do anything. And to display my ignorance, is the rebuild is done through the services menu or something like that? Far back in the past I think I did do that. whereas thanks to another fault I could do the full reset/download blindfolded.
    And indeed why release an update that causes problems where there weren't any? Who do they think they are? Microsoft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It may be co-incidence.
    The weather is now more overcast and wetter. This reduces the signal. Your dish may not be aligned correctly.

I was experiencing occasional freezes and choppyness in sound on some hotbird channels when the weather changed. The LNB had moved slightly. Now it is fine even in heavy rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Skys update to the software a few weeks ago broke a lot of sky+ boxes. There are endless threads about it in the SKY+ forum at www.digitalspy.uk

I pointed digitalspy out to Sky to this and they agreed to drop the service charge for the next month and would send an engineer out free, but said that although she couldnt admit to the software causing a problem that she personally thought it did.
    Make of that what you will :)

Seems sky are trying to charge for engineer visits for the problems caused by the update

watty wrote:
    It may be co-incidence.
    The weather is now more overcast and wetter. This reduces the signal. Your dish may not be aligned correctly.

I was experiencing occasional freezes and choppyness in sound on some hotbird channels when the weather changed. The LNB had moved slightly. Now it is fine even in heavy rain.

I will get my excellebt installer to have a look while he's passing. My playback is ok I suppose, I haven't noticed it being bad except during one torrential downpour and it recovered. It is loss of functionality and definitely no problem before the update. Really makes me look forward to what kind of mess they will make out of the forthcoming major epg update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Mredmond wrote:
    I've just come off the phone to Sky, reporting the same problem, plus a few I haven't seen reported (ie when any recording begins, the "live" channel repeatedly freezes, every 10 seconds or so, and only a quick change-of-channel-and-back-again sorts it out, for 10 more seconds...)

Anyway they told me a Sky + planner rebuild will sort it out. I haven't tried yet as I'm in the middle of recording Lost and don't want to, well, Lose it (sorry).

Anyone else tried this, with any success?
    a rebuild of the planner will work for a while, but it's only a temporary thing. AFAIK, the folks at sky reckon (at least in my case) that a complete "nuclear" option is the best way to fix it. (takes ten minutes, y'loose everything!)

By 'fix it', I'm assuming they mean it'll be another thing for them to eliminate from the list of 'things that could be causing the problem'. Course, like a few other people here, i've things recorded i'd like to watch first...

I'm thinking, however, of foregoing that lot (hell, I'm up to date on LOST) and going the reboot. If I then, however, experience the merest scintilla of an iota of a shadow of an impression of a hint of a f***-up with my live pause, I shall be down on them like a ton of bricks.

I'm not sure, mind, what I should demand of them should it come to that. Ideas, anybody!!! :D

watty wrote:
    It may be co-incidence.

what effect would the weather have on live pause and rewind?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

We have 2 Plus boxes @ home, one of the original Pace models, and one of the 160GB ones. My brother started complaining about the older box asking for a PIN number on the regular Sky Movies channels, and also about Live Pause going wonky -- I assumed it was down to the box being a few years old and didn't think anymore about it, until I saw the new EPG background and knew they had started updating (I'd seen pics of the new EPG on digitalspy already).

Weirdly it's only today, two days later that the newer 160GB box has gotten the update and changed background. Haven't noticed any problems as yet, but there's no way in Hell I'm wiping the box! Got way too much TV still on it, and I read on digitalspy that a full wipe doesn't actually permanently fix anything.

Some people on digitalspy thread recommended turning 'Live Pause' OFF for a while in Sky Plus settings then turning it back on and see if that helps.

The fact that Sky KNEW from staff testing that the software was buggy and sent it to their customers anyway is just insane :mad:

*edit* 1,000th Post :D *edit*

I'm not sure, mind, what I should demand of them should it come to that. Ideas, anybody!!! :D

For obvious reasons I would suggest blood.

I still think they're following the microsoft model for screwing up and compounding their errors. The q for tech support yesterday was 81 minutes and that's hardly remarkable for sky.

vampyre wrote:
    For obvious reasons I would suggest blood.

I still think they're following the microsoft model for screwing up and compounding their errors. The q for tech support yesterday was 81 minutes and that's hardly remarkable for sky.
    Now in fairness to 'em, I've found that i've only been on hold 15 or so minutes, but i've tended to leave my call until 7.30 or so in the pm. Of course, the buggers tend to have their phones permanently staffed by scottish lasses whom, I'm afraid, I'm pretty much genetically predisposed to being unable to get angry with. :D

I think i will, once the other members of the household have watched what they want on the box, go nuclear - and then if a problem arises ring 'em and f*** 'em into a knot. Sexy accent or no.

I've already logged 3 calls with them about the problems I've had, so I reckon I'll either demand an engineer call out (but they're not going to do that, as they KNOW it's a software issue!) or free movies for at least a month...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

Vampyre - The improved planner is in the hidden installer menu .....
    (Services, 4, 0, 1, Select) - This does NOT wipe out your recordings.

Also try a longer reset ...

> Power down.
    > Unplug the mains.
    > Remove the card.
    > Wait a full 2 minutes & Reconnect the mains.
    > Wait another 2 minutes and press the SKY button.
    > Insert the card when asked (most likely immediately).

Thanks for that Eirman, exactly what I needed to know.

eirman wrote:
    Vampyre - The improved planner is in the hidden installer menu .....
    (Services, 4, 0, 1, Select) - This does NOT wipe out your recordings.

Also try a longer reset ...

> Power down.
    > Unplug the mains.
    > Remove the card.
    > Wait a full 2 minutes & Reconnect the mains.
    > Wait another 2 minutes and press the SKY button.
    > Insert the card when asked (most likely immediately).
    I'll try the 'longer reset' myself then. However the Services 401 thing has been used many times chez Grumpytrousers to little avail!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ive been having the same crap aswell, and a instant rewind to 15 mins has sorted it out for me

Advertisement