Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Cohabiting" and Back to Education

Options
  • 01-10-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Right I'll try and be as concise as possible so there's no confusion here! Here's my situation and I'm sure im not the only person in the situation either but anyways I'm currently attending a part time course at NUI GALWAY looking to go back full time come next September '15. As I understand it from what susi tells me I'm eligible to have my fees paid as this will be my first time going into 3rd level education. I will be enrolling as a mature student and will be seeking to get Back to Education once the course starts in Sept of next year.

Here's where things start to get a bit grey for me, I live with my significant other who is in part time work at the moment and could possibly go to full time before I start the course next Sept. I'm currently on jobseekers myself and social is aware that Me and her are cohabiting together. My rate has been reduced to €156 a week down from the €188 that single non working people get. This obviously has put a strain on our financial situation but as always we'll try to make do and get by. We have no kids no mortgage or outstanding debts!

My question is, will I get the full mature student rate of €188 a week for back to education? Or will I still be kept on the reduced rate of €156 a week assuming my partner stays on part time? As far as I'm aware BTE isn't means tested but could be? If she does go on full time and assuming I'm still out of work will I even be eligible for BTE because of her wages? If she were on full time she would still only be making around €250 a week after tax.

TL;DR Currently unemployed looking to get back to education while cohabiting with a working partner!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Right I'll try and be as concise as possible so there's no confusion here! Here's my situation and I'm sure im not the only person in the situation either but anyways I'm currently attending a part time course at NUI GALWAY looking to go back full time come next September '15. As I understand it from what susi tells me I'm eligible to have my fees paid as this will be my first time going into 3rd level education. I will be enrolling as a mature student and will be seeking to get Back to Education once the course starts in Sept of next year.

Here's where things start to get a bit grey for me, I live with my significant other who is in part time work at the moment and could possibly go to full time before I start the course next Sept. I'm currently on jobseekers myself and social is aware that Me and her are cohabiting together. My rate has been reduced to €156 a week down from the €188 that single non working people get. This obviously has put a strain on our financial situation but as always we'll try to make do and get by. We have no kids no mortgage or outstanding debts!

My question is, will I get the full mature student rate of €188 a week for back to education? Or will I still be kept on the reduced rate of €156 a week assuming my partner stays on part time? As far as I'm aware BTE isn't means tested but could be? If she does go on full time and assuming I'm still out of work will I even be eligible for BTE because of her wages? If she were on full time she would still only be making around €250 a week after tax.

TL;DR Currently unemployed looking to get back to education while cohabiting with a working partner!

Hey, I am not too well up on the BTE scheme and how it works with your OH, but €250 a week after tax for full time work seems a little low.

It's tough, but hopefully it all pays off for you ;)

Advertisement