Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI Grant application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

In regards to the fees, most colleges are more than aware at this point about what SUSI are like. On registration day if you can provide proof that you have submitted an application to SUSI and that it's being processed that should be OK.

That's a huge relief. He was going to call the college to discuss a student loan or payment plan as we were pretty worried he wouldn't be allowed to register until he paid something!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gin plus shock blanket

rawn wrote: »
    That's a huge relief. He was going to call the college to discuss a student loan or payment plan as we were pretty worried he wouldn't be allowed to register until he paid something!

He will need to pay the student services fee himself, that's usually around €160. If he can pay that as soon as possible and show the submitted application to SUSI that should keep his colleges fee office happy as it shows he is taking it seriously and trying and not just sticking his head in the sand and trying to dodge the fees. Most colleges don't start chasing fees until after Christmas. I know it was immediately prior to me getting the acceptance letter from SUSI that UCC emailed me inquiring about fees, so he has a bit of time yet. Don't panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Xscreamokidx

Great. So apparently they lost my documents so I have to send them again, this is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 40,806 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Question for anyone that can help me :

I have never applied for the grant before as my parents income combined is over the limit. I am now gone back to do a masters in college aged 23 and I am not getting any financial aid at all from my parents and living away from home. I applied for the grant about 3 weeks ago putting "estranged" into the parents section. If I am asked for documentation what will i do? I mean legally they are still my parents but I am barely home once a month and as i said i receive no financial aid from them. What will susi ask me for ?

SUSI will ask you for documents from the HSE or Gardai to prove you are estranged

When did you do your undergrad? I presume you are aware that you will not be able to change your status from dependent student to independent mature student unless there is a three year gap.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Great. So apparently they lost my documents so I have to send them again, this is ridiculous

Heres their complaints process

Use it

http://www.susi.ie/QuickLinks/Complaints.aspx

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Dealing with SUSI today regarding my sons application. An issue has arisen over a document I sent them last year and got the following response

I understand that you have sent in documentation relating to this before for last years application.

However I can advise that if you do not have this documentation anymore, we can send out copies to you if you so request. You could then send them back to us.........................

oldyouth wrote: »
    Dealing with SUSI today regarding my sons application. An issue has arisen over a document I sent them last year and got the following response

I understand that you have sent in documentation relating to this before for last years application.

However I can advise that if you do not have this documentation anymore, we can send out copies to you if you so request. You could then send them back to us.........................

You're joking...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Well that really sums up how incompetent these idiots are!!

My OH finally got his letter in the post saying his application was cancelled, yet he still couldn't open a new application and when he eventually got through to them on the phone the guy hadn't a clue what he was talking about, kept telling him to enter his name all in caps and then uppercase initials, then told him he was in the wrong section (grantsonline) and slowly talked him through the process of clicking "apply online" on the SUSI website which of course brings him right back to grantsonline! The guy then eventually figures out that even though his application is cancelled, his PPS number is still on the system and he'll have to wait til Monday for them to take it off. Clocks a-ticking like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Does anyone know how you appeal a refusal?

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    You're joking...

Copied and pasted from their e-mail to me, just deleted the personal details. I'm thinking of asking for it by e-mail and then just hitting the return button

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm actually almost dying laughing oh my CHRIST. I can't even deal with how stupid that is

I'm actually almost dying laughing oh my CHRIST. I can't even deal with how stupid that is

I laughed when I 1st read it, then realised that I am in for a very long journey if that is an example of what I have to deal with going forward

I laughed when I 1st read it, then realised that I am in for a very long journey if that is an example of what I have to deal with going forward

Based on what I and some other on my course that I spoke to about this experienced last year, if all goes well and there re no issues with documentation etc you re looking at four months minimum. However in the 2012/2013 academic year I know of someone who applies in June 2012 and was still waiting on them in May 2013. It's just the luck of the draw really, the draw being will you get someone experienced from the old local authority system handling your case or will you get someone new that they have just hired in the last few months and is uncertain and overwhelmed.
    What I would suggest, is to keep in constant contact with the fees office in your college to let them know the status of your application. Also SUSI start coming to various colleges from round the middle of September to run application clinics. If you are still experiencing difficulty with them by the time they come to your college then I would suggest going to them. I am aware of a few people who were having issues and after speaking to someone at one of these sessions the situation was resolved quite quickly after so they are well worth attending.

In fairness 2012/2013 was the first time for SUSI and they did vastly improve in 2013/2014.

Terry Pratchet

In fairness 2012/2013 was the first time for SUSI and they did vastly improve in 2013/2014.

They did improve but I'm not so sure about vastly being honest. They went from absolutely incompetent to barely functional. Sure it's a step forward but it still isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GingerNut93

I was told to get in contact with SUSI if I hadn't heard anything about my application by the end of last week. When I did get in contact they told me to wait it out longer that my application is at the top of the list! I'm starting to become really annoyed! will I even know if I'm getting a grant before I start college? I need to know so I can get the money from somewhere to pay for it otherwise! I feel sorry for the people who applied late it I'm still waiting and I applied the day it opened!

will I even know if I'm getting a grant before I start college?

Possibly not. You need to be prepared for that. Many students may not hear the outcome of their grant application until after they begin college.

Terry Pratchet

Possibly not. You need to be prepared for that. Many students may not hear the outcome of their grant application until after they begin college.

That's ridiculous! I'm assuming if I have to pay the fees and do end up gettiga grant SUSI reimburse me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

I was told to get in contact with SUSI if I hadn't heard anything about my application by the end of last week. When I did get in contact they told me to wait it out longer that my application is at the top of the list! I'm starting to become really annoyed! will I even know if I'm getting a grant before I start college? I need to know so I can get the money from somewhere to pay for it otherwise! I feel sorry for the people who applied late it I'm still waiting and I applied the day it opened!

The way it's going we will be ALL starting with no grant in place, but I'm sure the colleges will be aware of what's going on and be willing to wait.

bizzyb wrote: »
    The way it's going we will be ALL starting with no grant in place, but I'm sure the colleges will be aware of what's going on and be willing to wait.

But even at that what if we don't get a grant we still have to get the money from somewhere and it will be such short notice!

If you got refused, but didn't include the fact that you're renting in Dublin, do you have a better chance of appealing if you include the fact that you're now renting?

If you got refused, but didn't include the fact that you're renting in Dublin, do you have a better chance of appealing if you include the fact that you're now renting?

appeal your application under change of circumstances

That's ridiculous! I'm assuming if I have to pay the fees and do end up gettiga grant SUSI reimburse me?

Yes. But the thing is. Dont panic. Colleges are aware of this and will give some leeway in fee payments.

The thing is - There is a possibility you may not hear til October or November. I'm just saying to prepare for that.

Terry Pratchet

Why would that make a difference in your appeal?

Terry Pratchet

Yes. But the thing is. Dont panic. Colleges are aware of this and will give some leeway in fee payments.

SUSI is a joke in fairness. I don't expect anything more from them lol thanks for you help

SUSI is a joke in fairness. I don't expect anything more from them lol thanks for you help

The system isnt great but A) its better than it was 2 years ago and B) in some ways SUSI has no choice - timelines are dictated by the leaving cert, cao and colleges.

Terry Pratchet

Why would that make a difference in your appeal?

Because you have an outlay of €400 more a month?

• Advertisement

Because you have an outlay of €400 more a month?

The only thing SUSI measure is income. Your costs or outgoings are irrelevant to SUSI.

So in all honesty it wont make a difference if you mention this.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement