Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tropical Wood

Options
  • 28-11-2010 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey guys im looking to source suppliers of tropical hardwoods in ireland, leinster and Dublin preferably.

I have suppliers of the bog standard hardwoods but im having trouble sourcing exciting woods from across the globe.

Anybody know any suppliers that may supply or know someone that sources these.

Thanks in advance

;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

If you can Find Someone who Imports from Either Australia or Singapore I can get you 40 Foot Boxes of Stuff You would definitley consider Exotic
    PNG Rosewood
    Kwila/Merbau
    Vitex Cofassus
    Callophyllum
    Termanalia
    Canarium
    Pellawan
    Kappur
    Hoppea
    Garo Garo

Standardly available timbers over here

Tho you might consider some of the Australian Natives "Éxotic''
    Spotted Gum
    Silky Oak
    Tallowwood
    Blackbutt
    BlueGum
    RoseGum
    Tasmanian Oak
    Waugh beech
    Brush Box
    White Stringy bark
    Red Stringbark

they are some of the Natives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith gallagher

What sized pieces and what species are you looking for? I have some African Blackwood, various burls from Oz and the states and a few other exotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 paul.

What sized pieces and what species are you looking for? I have some African Blackwood, various burls from Oz and the states and a few other exotics.

Size doesnt really matter im trying to source different types of colourfull hardwoods to build some furniture like a Kitchen table, coffee table, countertops, toychests etc. Im a carpenter and I want to use as many different species as possible.

I may be setting a small workshop up next year and it will be just me there so what I build will be dictated by the hardwoods that are avilable to me.

I have a decent tablesaw, spindle moulder etc, so if the lenghts are decent enough they can be ripped down,

cheers for the responses, and as for importing timber I wouldnt know the first thing about it and dont have a big enough cash flow starting up.

a pic below(just an example of different species joined) this is the kind of stuff id love to work with.

Man I Fukkin love Purpleheart

I made a Box with some Garo Garo ( which is a Golden colour) and Some Purpleheart inlays, Loch Garman Abú

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

Mcquillans in blanchardstown recently started supplying tropical woods for woodturning seen some last week

darcy07 wrote: »
    Mcquillans in blanchardstown recently started supplying tropical woods for woodturning seen some last week
    dimensions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

paul. wrote: »
    Hey guys im looking to source suppliers of tropical hardwoods in ireland, leinster and Dublin preferably.

I have suppliers of the bog standard hardwoods but im having trouble sourcing exciting woods from across the globe.

Anybody know any suppliers that may supply or know someone that sources these.

Thanks in advance

;)
    Try murdoks hardwoods in Newry(make sure its not murdochs hardware same crowd as balbriggan). they have a good range of stock but you would have to go through the yard which is ten times the size of anything around dublin. ask for thomas in the yard hes pretty helpful

cheers Il be up that way next week so il drop in and have a nosey;)
    are they easy enough to find? il google them now anyway, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

just outside newry. about three to four mins. call them for directions. i usually get the timber delivered, there pretty good if they know what you want

• Advertisement

Had a look on their website and looks great, Il be picking a few bits up for sure.

Anybody know where to pick up zebrawood, Id love to make a cabinet for the sitting room with it, the grain is unbelievable:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I know for a fact that mcQuillans on capel st have a big slab of it, doubt there's enough for a cabinet but chris in there is very nice, if you're serious about it im sure he will order it for ya. think the price for the piece is €99

great ;)I might try the blanchardstown branch first and see can I order it to there. Its closer:D Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Paul
    Take a look at the brooks web site they have a catalogue you can down load
    www.brooksgroup.ie

I think they now keep it in Bluebell

North West

ye brooks are alright but still fairly standard hardwoods available, abbey woods is good too, but im interested in unusual hardwood. Also not to go off topic but any1 also know where does a decent real hardwood ve:)neer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The only place I know that does veneer is Strahan timber in newcastle, Mahogany and I think mapel they had when I was last there,not cheap though.

I dont suppose you remember what you payed, ball park figure will surfice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

dublin veneer&ply do veneers and also noyeks as well. Give them a try and one of them should be able to help out with veneers

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

paul. wrote: »
    I dont suppose you remember what you payed, ball park figure will surfice:D

I wanted at least 14'' wide and I got I think two 10' strips of mahogany, I think about €20 per strip.I Honestly can't remember exactly.I do remember that mahogany was the only veneer they had in the width I wanted.

• Advertisement

anywhere do veneer 24'+.....Also I was down in mcquillans and the wood they had available was 12' by 2' so it just for turning. The dimensions im looking for need to be 7ftx3'x2' give or take, Larger preferably, I want to build unique
    furniture etc cheers for feedback so far every1;)

Advertisement