Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 10-12-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi,

I've started doing a bit of woodwood the last few months. Decided to build a little project the other day.

Long story short, I live in an apartment and don't have work bench so used the dinning table as a setup.

Incidently while jigsawing a piece of pineboard, the board slipped on the table and I ran the jigsaw into the landlords nice table!! (Don't laugh)

Now I have a 2mm jigsaw gouge in the side of the table about 5cm long and 3mm deep!

How can I rectify the table?? A bit of wood filler??

any help, much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

To get the guru's interested it would be best to post a pic.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

gorgo

don't panic when I tried for the first time, cut the leg of a three leg stool.
    can you cut a 6cmx3mm piece of timber same as table. Glue it in let dry for day sand it down and revarnish. The varnish will eventually come back to same colour as table.

North West

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

North West wrote: »
    gorgo

don't panic when I tried for the first time, cut the leg of a three leg stool.
    can you cut a 6cmx3mm piece of timber same as table. Glue it in let dry for day sand it down and revarnish. The varnish will eventually come back to same colour as table.

North West

Pretty much the best advice you'll get.

If its at all possible you could try and cut a piece from the table itself. Obviously not from a visible area. I did something not totally dissimilar to what you've described when I was but a wee apprentice and fixed it by taking a sliver from the inside of the top rail of the table. Glued it on and sanded it down. If it doesn't fit exactly it could well work to your advantage. Fill the gaps with glue and rub some of the dust into them. It'll blend in pretty well once its varnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I don't know how successful you are going to be trying to glue a sliver of wood into a gouge that shallow. I'd try using Brummer wood stopping to fill the area (this can be coloured to match using wood dyes etc), allow to dry and sand lightly, feathering the adjacent surface. Touch up with some lacquer or polyurethane varnish appled with an artists brush. Build up coats as required, flatten with steel wool and apply a wax over the entire table top for the final step. A lot of work and stages but could work.

Advertisement