Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE - Notice of intention to marry

Options
  • 23-04-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I am due to get married in May 2015 and I know that each couple must give the state three months notice of their intention to marry as this is a legal requirement.

However my question is this:

When would be the earliest i could go and get that stuff sorted and have it ticked off the list of things to do? Can it be done say 9/10 months before the actual date?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

it can be done as soon as you can an appointment, I gave mine 11 months in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

You can go now!! Must say I was well impressed so far with the HSE for being organised. I was thinking as they say 3months beforehand that it would have to be closer to the date but nope.

I enquired, just an enquiry gave them the dates (we are next year too) and was sent out an appointment for a few weeks time (well they sent us one but we could not make that so let them know and they had no problem)..I wanted to have it all booked so we could defo go with the date we choose and that we could book the register for the ceremony at the venue

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

As others have said, 3 months is the legal requirement. Marriage license only lasts for a period of time (6 months) from the original date indicated on the cert. e.g. your marriage date is January 1st 2015 but those plans change. If the new date is 6 months or more after that, you would need to get a new marriage license and pay the fee again. If plans change and the new marriage date is within 6 months of the date indicated on the license, the details can be changed as required on the license and the marriage cert will be issued with those new details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

The main thing to remember with getting your forms early is that you have to keep them safe til the date of the wedding. If you lose them, it's a big enough deal... Should be ok if you're organised, but I've heard of people panicking last minute trying to remember where they stuck their papers for safety...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ahh too true didn't think that, thought maybe they would issue them still closer to the day..Shall have to get a filing cabinet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I always hide stuff on myself :rolleyes: I put it somewhere safe, so safe that even I can't find it.

Advertisement