Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sand blasting

Options
  • 22-04-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi looking for information on a small sand blasting pot to use with small compressor any help would be great I am a novice where this is

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

tommer wrote: »
    Hi looking for information on a small sand blasting pot to use with small compressor any help would be great I am a novice where this is

Do a cheap trial run, buy a DA air sander and connect it to your compressor. Run the sander flat out and see how long it takes to give up the ghost - i.e get ahead of the compressor. Half that time and that's how long it will run a blaster. It is usually a good eye-opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Yep, the compressor is the most important part of any sandblasting setup. Even a small pot will take more air in terms of CFM (cubic feet per minute) than any standard tank type compressor can supply. Its cfm that's important more so than pressure.

A friend of mine gave me one of these type of pots a few years ago

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/sandblasting-sand/4240608

even with my 200L litre compressor which has a decent capacity pump, it can only run it for a very short period before it blocks up due to low pressure. Now in saying that, it will do the job, but its very slow and very annoying.

I have a bigger pot and an diesel powered road compressor now, much better job.

Also, I used crushed glass for blasting rather than grit, available from Applied Products in Kinnity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The usual message in the past on this subject has been pay someone else to do it!

Yep, the compressor is the most important part of any sandblasting setup. Even a small pot will take more air in terms of CFM (cubic feet per minute) than any standard tank type compressor can supply. Its cfm that's important more so than pressure.

A friend of mine gave me one of these type of pots a few years ago

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/sandblasting-sand/4240608

even with my 200L litre compressor which has a decent capacity pump, it can only run it for a very short period before it blocks up due to low pressure. Now in saying that, it will do the job, but its very slow and very annoying.

I have a bigger pot and an diesel powered road compressor now, much better job.

Also, I used crushed glass for blasting rather than grit, available from Applied Products in Kinnity.
    Same as, we run a 260 cfm diesel road-compressor, a big bugger too, and it is just enough, not too much. Air is all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tommer

Hi i have a 300 litre tank with a 2.5hp motor would that be good enough to drive a 10 gallon pot

• Advertisement

tommer wrote: »
    Hi i have a 300 litre tank with a 2.5hp motor would that be good enough to drive a 10 gallon pot

No. ;) Hopeless unless you want to blast spoons and suchlike. :) And what Sean said is the facts of it - pay someone else. It's not worth the hassle, mess and grief. The only blasting we do anymore is in a blast cabinet - small items like engines, brake calipers etc. Cabinets are clean, self contained and lovely. Even that takes an 11 hp 500l 3 phase compressor that struggles to keep up..

Advertisement