Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apparently this is a "Grace Kelly style" dress???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Just a bogstandard wedding dress, TBH. But, hey, it's the Indo, what do you expect? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Grace Kelly had her neck shoulders and arms covered up. That dress is the usual boring bath towel style, vulgar dress.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yep.

Like Kate Middleton's dress was "Grace Kelly style".
    Julie Andrews in the sound of music was "grace kelly style"

This is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

Rochester wrote: »
    Grace Kelly had her neck shoulders and arms covered up. That dress is the usual boring bath towel style, vulgar dress.

Wow! A bit harsh! Fair enough it might not be to your taste but there's no need to be so nasty.

Carol_1985 wrote: »
    Wow! A bit harsh! Fair enough it might not be to your taste but there's no need to be so nasty.

I have to agree with her, and on the flip side, if you like the dress style, why would you care if other people don't?

Such a boring style and doesn't even suit most people who wear it! So sick of seeing brides in this country wear dresses of this style. I'm glad to see lovely sleeves creep back in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

She looks stunning, as every bride does on her big day.. whatever she wears.

Everyones personal taste is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't agree with the vulgar dress comment at all. There's nothing vulgar about that dress and there are plenty of examples on the internet of vulgar dresses (the one of the girl with the dress just covering her breasts is one example).

While it's not a style that suits a lot of people it suits her and is a lovely dress. Not Grace Kelly-esque though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

xzanti wrote: »
    She looks stunning, as every bride does on her big day.. whatever she wears.

Everyones personal taste is different.

Oh no I wasn't saying anything about how she looks. I was commenting that the indo describes it as "grace Kelly style" whereas I don't think it looks in anyway "grace Kelly" whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you want a vulgar dress, check out what Gordon D'Arcy's bride was wearing to the church! :eek: This girl's dress isn't.

But - I don't think the dress and the mantilla veil did anything for this girl. The white washes her out, and the dress and veil are far too fussy IMO. Either have a lace dress or a lace veil. Together, it's overkill.

I'm with Ann Landers though. It's so nice to see sleeves coming back in. I wish I could've had sleeves when I got married. But at least the dress had spaghetti straps! I have a short neck and a bit overweight, so strapless would never have looked good on me...:(

I liked aoife cogan's dress. Although I think she was a little TOO thin in it.

http://www.whatshewears.ie/aoife-cogans-wedding-dress/

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    I liked aoife cogan's dress. Although I think she was a little TOO thin in it.

http://www.whatshewears.ie/aoife-cogans-wedding-dress/

The dress was nice. But it's not a wedding dress, nor was it suitable for the church IMO. She showed far too much in it (sideboob anyone?) and yes, she was too thin. I didn't think it looked good TBH. Personally, I think she would've looked nice in a shorter style as she has the legs to carry it off.

On the other hand - I LOVED Amy Huberman's dress! Simple, elegant and timeless. Hated the BM dresses though! :D

Love Amy's dress! Aoife's was not suitable for a church wedding in Ireland at all... beach wedding in the Caribbean, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Strapless dresses don't suit most women. Nothing to do with size, they just look badly fitted most of the time. I'm sick of seeing the same style wedding dresses.

I have to agree with her, and on the flip side, if you like the dress style, why would you care if other people don't?

Such a boring style and doesn't even suit most people who wear it! So sick of seeing brides in this country wear dresses of this style. I'm glad to see lovely sleeves creep back in.

I don't care if others don't like it! But why not just say it's not to my taste or I wouldn't choose it! I just think there's no need for such harsh words. There are lots of brides on this forum and chances are someone has chosen a similar style dress. Nobody wants to hear the dress they've chosen described like that. That's all I'm saying!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The bitchiness is strong with this thread.

Carol_1985 wrote: »
    I don't care if others don't like it! But why not just say it's not to my taste or I wouldn't choose it! I just think there's no need for such harsh words. There are lots of brides on this forum and chances are someone has chosen a similar style dress. Nobody wants to hear the dress they've chosen described like that. That's all I'm saying!:)

When you post on the internet regularly you have to learn to grow a thick skin, otherwise you'll be offended by everything.

Dolbert wrote: »
    The bitchiness is strong with this thread.

Arrah, it's not. Some of us are just sick of seeing generic strapless dresses rather than people considering what would actually suit them.

And I'm one of the people a strapless would definitely not suit!

Of course people can wear what they want, and I would never, ever be rude to someone over their choices, but here on an internet message board, I reckon people can be honest.

January wrote: »
    When you post on the internet regularly you have to learn to grow a thick skin, otherwise you'll be offended by everything.

I agree! I do think there's a nicer way of saying you don't like something though and maybe people should think about that! Not aiming that at anyone in this thread that's just a general thought on life. Anyway this is all off topic!

I agree that the dress is definitely not in the style of Grace Kelly! Nonetheless the bride looked happy and beautiful!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The veil is pretty old-school in style, and is quite nice. But don't get how the dress is Grace Kelly style?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

The lace on the veil gives a slight touch of Grace Kelly to the over all look. But the dress is no way near the style of Grace Kelly

I think Phil Coulter's daughter could have done with considering a lacy sleeve on her arms - as could many Irish brides

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Arrah, it's not. Some of us are just sick of seeing generic strapless dresses rather than people considering what would actually suit them.

And I'm one of the people a strapless would definitely not suit.

Truth be told, they suit very few.

Truth be told, they suit very few.

Yeah, you need to have really dainty shoulders, an elegant neck and toned arms for them to look really good, IMO. A small waist helps too.

It's our arms are the problem.

Our fatty arms with the red blotches :(

Toned arms take serious effort! :(

Yup if you have toned skinny blotch free arms go for strapless. Otherwise a lace sleeve is your only man. Most Irish brides need a sleeve......

Most brides full stop! Who on earth has the time to tone arms?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

I literally saw the OP, looked at the article and thought "no the dress definitely isn't what I would describe as being similar to Grace Kelly's", but it's still a nice dress, not something I would go for, but the bride is still beautiful and I'm sure it's her ideal dress. She isn't the one who described it as Grace Kelly style, the Indo did.

Then I read some of the posts on this thread - what's to stop this girl reading this thread? What if someone said that about you at the back of the church or on social media about your wedding and your dress?

We all have personal tastes and different opinions - lets at least try to respect that, it's what makes the world interesting!

• Advertisement

redappple wrote: »
    I literally saw the OP, looked at the article and thought "no the dress definitely isn't what I would describe as being similar to Grace Kelly's", but it's still a nice dress, not something I would go for, but the bride is still beautiful and I'm sure it's her ideal dress. She isn't the one who described it as Grace Kelly style, the Indo did.

Yeah I never said that she called it a Grace Kelly style dress. I only quoted the article.

Advertisement