Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Industry

• 26-03-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I trained in a smallish size practice (about sixty people). I loved the banter in the office, the variety of work and the client interaction. When my contract was up I moved to one of the big 4. Although I can't fault the company, I miss the variety and client interaction. I seem to be doing the same thing day in, day out. Their isn't the same banter in the office either. I was considering the move to industry and went for an interview. The person was explaining the job to me, and to be honest it sounded painfully boring! Their were only two others in the finance office so I don't see much banter their either! The job involves day to day book keeping, bank recs, and preparation of weekly, monthly and annual accounts and a few other things. The job was in the financial services sector, which is a sector I've never had much interest in, but it got me thinking is every industry role like this? am I more suited to a smaller practice? Their are certain business that I am very interested in, if I hadn't pursued the accountancy route, I'd have gone into hotel management or aviation management. Would accounting jobs in these sectors be more interesting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

I would say if you enjoyed working in a small practice you should consider staying there. You could get your auditing certificate, do tax exams, work your way to partner level, even set out on your own, plenty of opportunities. Most people who make the move to industry do so as they can't stand working in practice any longer. Once you make the move to industry it can be extremely difficult to make the move back to practice, particularly the longer you leave it. Also working in industry tends to be more procedural and administrative in nature often. You may have little involvement or say in the running of the company outside of the finance function. You may have little exposure of meeting customers and suppliers, etc. In practice you would be expected to use professional judgement in your work, be a fee earner for the firm, attract new clients etc, meet clients on a regular basis so you would be expected to be involved more in the running of the practice as a business concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Depends what kind of industry company you go to. A large multi national or IFSC company would have big finance teams and therefore plenty of "banter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Interesting OP and good responses so far.

To add, it's not unusual to start off fairly low in industry, but you can work your way from there and the options are pretty much limitless.

The complaint you make about big 4 is also not unusual, but people leverage their big 4 experience into excellent careers in industry.

But to echo what has been said above. Working in a smallish (wouldn't describe 60 people as exactly tiny) practice can be great.

60 people in a practice? That's pretty decent. Small practice would be like, 4 - 8 people in an office (of which there are many).

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭GR3YFOXXX

It is smallish though by Dublin standards given that KPMG/PwC are circa 1,200-1,500

• Advertisement

Well there's only 4 of them!

Advertisement