Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WiFi problem Dell Inspiron 8600

• 26-01-2014 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I'm having difficulty activating WiFi on my Dell Inspiron 8600. I never had a need to use the WiFi facility until now and have accessed the internet using a dongle and mobile broadband. When I got the laptop new about 10 years ago I can remember it searching for wireless networks when I used to turn it on. It was sold as having WiFi. Since then I have gone through a few hard drives and installs of Windows XP, which is currently installed (service pk 3). Currently when I switch on my phone as a WiFi hotspot I can not access it using my laptop. I have another newer inspiron and it finds the WiFi network so problem. I have attached a screenshot from my device manager. I am not sure exactly what section of the device manager I should be looking in, concerning a WiFi card. Under PCMCIA adapters there is a reference to Texas instruments PCI 4510 card bus controller. Would this be my WiFi card? According to device manager the correct driver is installed for this device. Should I be looking elsewhere checking drivers? Also on laptop Fn F2 is supposed to connect/disconnect from WiFi? When I press Fn F2 nothing happens. However when I do the same for FnF3 which has a battery icon on it, nothing happens either so maybe there is something wrong with the whole Fn thing? Any help would be greatfully appreciated as i'd really like to get this old girl connected to WiFi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You need drivers for LAN,wifi and graphics, all listed under unknown devices. The wifi one is listed as Network Controller. Get the properties of that, find Vendor and Device ID (4 hex chars each) to help find driver if manufacturers site doesn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭teach nua

the manufacturer for the network controller is coming up as unknown under properties.

is the device id the same as 'device instance id'?

device instance id is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_27228086&REV_05\4&39A85202&0&18F0

I tried putting in the original drivers and utilities cd-rom that came with the laptop to search for drivers but it did not find any.

I searched online under the device id and it said that this id could be for several different types of devices that use the same chipset. I found a site 'members.driverguide.com' that had a 'driver updater'. It scanned my laptop and found 27 out of date drivers including the ones you mentioned but it is looking for payment before it will update. To be honest i'm a bit dubious about this site...

I'd imagine there is a site that dell/intel would recommend where this could be done as a free update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭teach nua

i'm wireless!!! that worked a treat, thanks bonzodog2 :)

Advertisement