Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a laptop please..

Options
  • 14-01-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Im looking for recommendations on a laptop. I will be using it for browsing, downloading, some light photoshop/web design.

I had a Toshiba for 5 years that was great but its starting to show its age.

What kind of spec should I be looking at, more RAM or better processor.

What are Fijitsu Siemens like for reliability?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Keepan Eye

Avoid hp pavilion laptops [ or any other HP BRAND ] They last for 2 and 1/2 years then they die because the company use cheap parts. In this case its a Hp pavilion G6 series -- Poor fan I believe led to deterioration of circuit boards and now the thing is only fit for scrap ---€600 down the swanny........Currys / PC world is the name on my receipt and I bought it end July 2011 DUBLIN IRELAND

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I went with another toshiba today. Satellite c55 i5, nice machine. Always been very happy with Toshiba. Cant say im a fan of windows 8 though.

Hi Rob -- So confusing -- not much around except Tosh, Acer Sony, Lenovo. I got fed up checking specks-- seems each company use same parts , bit like cars now. As well as that I found that Honest Reviews are only written about Bad machines. Als,,I note that a machine in one place can have all the same spec except they may differ by an SX or CA or some tiny detail.....could be a diff i5 processor to another i5 processor. So its impossible to compare [ done on purpose to fleece us ]. Anyhow, It came down to what I could afford [ willing to lose ] I had thought a Samsung Ativ 4 €800, an Asus all bells and whistles at €750 .................could I really trust these wouldn't blow up after 2.5 yrs like the HP Pavillion G6.................ANYHOW I WENT FOR acer................hoping for the best really...........kept €300 in me pocket and bought it for €500. So lets see how it goes. Laptop manufacturers will find themselves losing business if they don't maintain a Reliable standard. Happened to Jap cars.....people stopped buying them -- then the Japs copped on and started giving 6 year guarantees. Anyhow---wish me luck...........So far this ACER Aspire E1 572 i5 4GB 500GB is ok. Its not an hour old yet. The keys are light so it wouldn't suit a HAM FISTED person, Also no CAPS LOCK light......but I did want i5 intel processor---AMD are useless....tooHot. Im only an ordinary punter so take what I say with a grain of salt perhaps.....let see how Im doing after a month or so. Slán tamall. Kev.

I got an Acer Aspire E1-572. Its working at the moment but up to today it frequently Freezes. Cant move the little Arrow , go back or forward. Just a frozen picture. After 5 minutes it works again-Seems there are no LapTops that work properly -- Its a lottery-- you can buy the same laptop brand and spec as your mate but one will work and the other wont. Seems they buy parts from millions of different suppliers and just assemble them sometimes putting in a cheaper part in some batches of the same lap top. So you cant believe the Reviews you read. Its time there was an EU or Global standardisation and if a Dealer sells a computer that has issues they have to give you a Brand new one and not send the Failed Laptop off for repair/inspection. Why should I have to wait 3 months or whatever and get a dodgy product back that could fail again.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

Keepan Eye wrote: »
    I got an Acer Aspire E1-572. Its working at the moment but up to today it frequently Freezes. Cant move the little Arrow , go back or forward. Just a frozen picture. After 5 minutes it works again-Seems there are no LapTops that work properly -- Its a lottery-- you can buy the same laptop brand and spec as your mate but one will work and the other wont. Seems they buy parts from millions of different suppliers and just assemble them sometimes putting in a cheaper part in some batches of the same lap top. So you cant believe the Reviews you read. Its time there was an EU or Global standardisation and if a Dealer sells a computer that has issues they have to give you a Brand new one and not send the Failed Laptop off for repair/inspection. Why should I have to wait 3 months or whatever and get a dodgy product back that could fail again.

Hi, looking at buying this Acer myself, now that you've had it a few months would you recommend it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement