Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Pavilion g6 laptop

Options
  • 04-01-2014 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi

I am running windows 8 on a HP Pavilion g6 laptop and every now and then it fails to boot stating non able to find bootable device. it is always before the blue HP gif is shown in the middle of the screen

I took it back to pcworld and they replaced the disk drive but the issue still happens every now and then. If I restart the laptop it normally then starts straight away
    I have run all the diagnostics and updated all the drivers and there are no issues reported. Prior to the disk drive swap I upgraded to 8.1 but the issue still occurred so I am wary of wasting my time upgrading until I have an explanation for the issue

What I would like to do is either fix it myself or be able to specific details on the issue that needs fixing to pcworld. I have found a possible explanation here http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-resolve-windows-8-boot-issues/ in relation to corrupt drivers messing up the quick boot of windows 8. I have disabled the quick boot to see if the problem goes away. Currently the laptop fails ever 5 days or so after normally daily usage. (restarting once a day )

Basic questions are
    1 does anybody know the location of any system messages that might give more info when the system fails with the cant find a bootable device
    2 any other suggestions for fixing the issue. I will post further info to help if needed

cheers

grasscutter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Try restoring it to a earlier update to see if it a update causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

trying to track that down could be a pain but thanks for the suggestion. I am tempted to try just pushing the OS up to 8,1 now and make sure I install all 8.0 updates prior to the 8.1 upgrade. I will wait to see if any other options get suggested here first though

cheers

grasscutter

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

switching off the hybrid boot has got rid of the problem!!!!

instructions here for any fellow victims
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-resolve-windows-8-boot-issues/

Advertisement