Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bizarre song lyrics - discuss

• 20-11-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I play acoustic guitar and I'm currently learning a few covers for parties etc. Decided to browse the chords for Soundgarden's song "Black Hole Sun" which I've loved for years.

While I love the song, I have to confess that this is the first time I've actually studied the lyrics in detail. Now I'm a songwriter myself and I'm used to seeing odd lyrics in songs (I'm a Biffy Clyro fan and their lyrics are fairly opaque as well) but the Black Hole Sun lyrics take the biscuit. What drugs was Chris Cornell on when he came up with this verse:

"Stuttering,
    Cold and damp,
    Steal the warm wind
    Tired friend.
    Times are gone
    For honest men
    And sometimes,
    Far too long
    For snakes."

It kind of makes sense until the last line....far too long for snakes?

I get mildly irritated at lyrics as obscure as this as I like to know the meaning of a song in general....although thinking about it now, compared to the average David Bowie lyric, the above is Ladybird book stuff.

Your thoughts?

Comments

I remember reading an interview with Cornell years ago and from what I can recall he said the lyrics didn't mean anything at all, he was just playing around with words and imagery. The interviewer was suggesting that it was about the apocalypse, but he rubbished that and basically said, no, its just a bunch of words. The title of the song is the name of a sculpture in Seattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

She loves you yeah yeah yeah
    That's just silly.

Advertisement