Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Food in Limerick?

Options
  • 29-12-2012 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know where I can get vegetarian food stuffs in Limerick,in particular meat substitutes such as 'sausages' 'burgers' 'tofu'? I've checked in Tesco and there's very little there,just Linda McCartneys vegeterian roast and no more. I'm only just trying to learn the vegetarian diet ,so not entirely sure what else I need,is there any stores in particular that might be good?

thanks

F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tesco and Dunnes Stores sell Quorn branded vegetarian meat substitute such as susages, burgers, chicken and beef. They don't have a huge selection but they do sell some.

Might be worth trying the Oriental Supermarket on upper Henry street for things like tofu, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Try Eats of Eden in Thomas Street http://www.eatsofeden.ie/ — if they don't have what you're after, they might give you some pointers.

Also, see this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72511290

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

Dunnes sell Linda mcCartney sausages, sausage rolls and lasagnes. You can also get Linda mcCarthey country pies in Tesco in the crescent s.c. Tesco have their own brand of veggie burgers. Nature's Hand in the Crescent have a pretty good range of vegetarian burgers, sausages and pies in their frozen and chilled section.They also sell smoked tofu which is really nice in stir fries. Check out the Fry's brand they're pretty good. Goodlife brand of nut cutlets and beanburgers are also nice, you can get them in Nature's hand or else Dargans health food store in castletroy s.c. Ivans on the ennis road also have a good selection of vegetarian stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Hi Freiheit,

if your starting out as a veggie, the best thing in my opinion to do is go down the market and stock up on some good wholesome veg. Keep eating what you normally eat but leave out the meat, add in some of your favourite vegetables, ie. stir fry, pasta, pizza etc. even a sunday carvery without the meat is dinging. Meat substitutes imo are pointless and expensive, try eating some nuts and beans for protein instead of the mock sausages and burgers. Just my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Hi Pdma,yes I had thought about that. Things is so much of what I grew up with was meat and in particular pig based. The variety of veggies my family raised me on wasn't that broad. I'm not just trying to learn a vegetarian diet but broaden my diet in general,which will take time. I had a childhood aversion to meat but was coerced into eating it,forgot this aversion for 2 decades but it's back now.

So many carveries are samey,90% of them are the same,the only variation is the form of meat,which itself rotates between chicken and pig,lamb if your lucky,sometimes fish.....

It'l all take time.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement