Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eradicating Montbretia

Options
  • 15-06-2012 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone out there has encountered the problem of Montbretia taking over, and had any experience - preferably successful - in getting rid of it.

This plant is incredibly invasive, and around here (south west) it is taking over everywhere, pushing out native flora.

Apparently if you pull it out it actually helps it to spread, as the corms (bulbs) break off underground and turn into new plants, hence multiplying. I'm loath to use a round-up spray as this will damage the surrounding vegetation.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The only real way to avoid damaging ony other flora around the "weed" is to hand apply the weedkiller.

I had this problem with bindweed in a small garden coming in from neighbours on all sides. It took a while to control. In the end I grew it up bamboo canes and loveingly painted a ready to use systemic weekdiller called Tumbleweed, similar to Roundup, onto the leaves and watched the bindweed dry up and blow away. I was then vigilent for any ingress and had the bamboo canes ready and waiting.

If you cannot buy a ready to use paint on systemic weedkiller then a pot of water mixed concentrate would do the job if painted on the leaves. Use gloves to protect your skin, paint on sparingly in dry weather, no drips or splashes and maby use a piece of cardboard to protect other near plants while applying.

If it is more large scale then push over the leaves to form a mat and spot spray the center of the mat. As the weedkiller is systemic it should go into the corms and kill off, but I think with this approach you may need a couple of applications.

I have a few of these in my garden, lovely flower on the plant late in the year, but the wild one is a real goer (but not to the extent yet that I feel intervention is necessary), the cultivated varities are much slower to spred, like crocosmia lucifer.

I dont think that there is a sellective spray for this plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Eoghan Barra

Thanks very much for your advice, Oldtree.

I have heard of home-made 'wipers' for applying glyphosate, maybe that's the way to go.

Old 1 inch paintbrush will easily do the job. Use old plactic bottle with top cut off as container.
    About 30ml of concentrate roundup in a liter and a half of water will "do" most things.

I would imagine a paint brush would drip all over the place. These wiper gizmos are supposed to deliver the chemical only to the leaves of the target plant, though I've never used one:

http://www.weedsbluemountains.org.au/weed_wiper_use.php

Dosnt drip if you take excess off brush using top of container, no different than actual painting. I had thought more of the hold leaf in gloved hand and paint one side

I think the sponges may drip more uncontrolably when squeezed than a brush and I dont think you need to worry about covering both sides of the leaf entirely as only a small amount of the systemic weedkiller needs to be absorbed into the plant through the leaf to kill off the root.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a few experiments are in order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I like visiting Kerry in late summer; the roadside hedgerows turn a lovely fiery red with all the montbretia and fuchsia. Brilliant.

recedite wrote: »
    I like visiting Kerry in late summer; the roadside hedgerows turn a lovely fiery red with all the montbretia and fuchsia. Brilliant.

You may think it looks nice, but where there is now a single species, i.e. montbretia - or any other invasive species introduced by humankind, there were once dozens or even hundreds of different species of native plants, with all of the native species of insects, birds and animals they support. You may think it's funny or witty to be flippant about that, but that is because you're not able to understand what it really means: a massive loss of biological diversity and wealth that has taken aeons to develop.

'What has biological diversity and wealth got to do with me?' you may ask.

Everything.

Our well-being as a species (which means you, your family, mates, children, grandchildren etc) is wholly dependent to the well-being of the environment we live in, of which biological diversity is a key indicator. All of which is besides the point that these native species and the ecosystems of which they are part have a priceless inherent value regardless of how essential they are to us.

You need to find out what's really going on in the world.

Don't lecture me on ecology. You're the one spraying the poisons.

Don't lecture me on ecology. You're the one spraying the poisons.

If using chemicals can be avoided, I won't use them; and they certainly won't be sprayed. Unfortunately in some instances the alternative of doing nothing is far, far worse.

Give me a good reason why I shouldn't lecture you on ecology, you don't seem to know anything about it judging by your first comment.

• Advertisement

Its not true that "native" insects shun introduced plants. Garden flowers often suffer more from pests than native species.
    Montbretia is as tall as grass; it has no effect on the hedgerow plants.
    If grass was there on the roadside verge instead, the hedge would be the same.
    Who are you anyway, to start killing "foreign" species? How long have your ancestors lived here? Do you also monitor the hedgrows looking for butterflies that might have drifted in from the UK or France and then kill them, lest they might stay over the winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Surely the amount of chemical needed to have an 'ecological' efffect on this plant would be catastrophically destructive in itself?

You just want to get rid of a plant you don't like OP. My Monbretia hums audibly when in flower, I love it and cut it back to keep it under control.

Its not true that "native" insects shun introduced plants. Garden flowers often suffer more from pests than native species.
    It's not as simple as that. Biological relationships between species that have taken millennia or more to develop are very, very complex and often very fragile.
    Montbretia is as tall as grass; it has no effect on the hedgerow plants. If grass was there on the roadside verge instead, the hedge would be the same.
    It's obviously the native ground flora which is affected by being replaced, not hedgerow plants.
    Who are you anyway, to start killing "foreign" species? How long have your ancestors lived here?
    You are very wrong to try to understand the issue of invasive species in anthropological terms. It's not a question of being racist against outsiders. In their original environments, invasive species are innocuous, as they are part on an ecosystem with which they have had plenty of time to harmonise.

What we are dealing with are the very damaging results of human actions, i.e. 'playing god' by transporting species from all corners of the globe to other places where they have the potential to wreak havoc, and in many cases do. The problem of invasive species is the second biggest driver of biodiversity loss worldwide after the destruction of habitat. Look at the state of this country's natural 'jewel in the crown': Killarney National Park. There they have been struggling for decades with rhododendron, which completely dominates about a third of the whole area and under which nothing else will grow. Even the large trees like oak cannot regenerate, so once the mature trees die, there is nothing left but rhododendron. You will occasionally find rhododendron leaves that have been partially eaten by an insect, so you might say 'look, this plant is interacting with a native species', but in all probability that insect died shortly after feeding on the leaf as rhododendron contains chemicals which are highly toxic.
    Do you also monitor the hedgrows looking for butterflies that might have drifted in from the UK or France and then kill them, lest they might stay over the winter?
    Again, you are confusing two very different things: a) Natural phenomena which bring no ill effects and b) Artificial introduction of species which is often devastating to native flora and fauna

I don't buy into the idea that if an organism gets blown in on a storm, its benevolent, but if it gets here on a boat, it's automatically devastating.

They are what they are, regardless of their mode of transport. I don't see montbretia taking over the whole country anytime soon. It likes roadside verges in the southwest.

Whats your attitude to Little Egrets? they've only been here 20 years or so; not much time to "evolve with the ecosystem" yet I don't see them destroying it.

Rhododendron can be a problem, yes. The policy of eradication was doomed to failure from the start. If a big oak falls, all that needs to be done is to select an oak seedling in the clearing and cut back the rhododendron around it for a few years until the oak seedling is taller.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Surely the amount of chemical needed to have an 'ecological' efffect on this plant would be catastrophically destructive in itself?
    Yes, chemicals should only be used as a last resort, and if so only with great care. My reason for starting this thread was to see if anyone had been able to get rid of it without resorting to chemicals. I am still open to suggestion on that.
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    You just want to get rid of a plant you don't like OP. My Monbretia hums audibly when in flower, I love it and cut it back to keep it under control.
    It's not that I don't like it per se. I don't like to see biological diversity converted into biological poverty. Many people don't understand that that is exactly what invasive species do.

I don't buy into the idea that if an organism gets blown in on a storm, its benevolent, but if it gets here on a boat, it's automatically devastating. They are what they are, regardless of their mode of transport.
    Nobody is saying there is anything automatic about introduced species becoming invasive or devastating; only a small proportion do so, but the risk is always there because nobody knows how a species will behave in a new environment. Many introduced species are unable to survive unassisted, some get by, and a small proportion become invasive and, yes, devastating. Unfortunately it is a small proportion of an enormous number of species that have been, and continue to be, introduced, so the result is that there are quite a few of them and their effects are often massive. To repeat my example above, the present conservation status and future prospects for Irish sessile oak woodlands, probably our richest land-based natural habitat, as well as other important types of native woodland, are categorised as BAD, and that is mostly due to invasive rhododendron.

If you think I'm exaggerating, take a look here (pages 62-65):
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/20108608/The-Status-of-EU-Protected-Habitats-and-Species-in-Ireland

For more general info on invasives, and the ecological damage they are doing, you could start here:
    http://invasivespeciesireland.com/
    or here:
    http://www.botanicgardens.ie/gspc/pdfs/quercusreport.pdf
    I don't see montbretia taking over the whole country anytime soon. It likes roadside verges in the southwest.
    You are right that it spreads along roads and streams/rivers, but it doesn't stop there - it is also invasive of other habitats, like woodland.
    Rhododendron can be a problem, yes. The policy of eradication was doomed to failure from the start. If a big oak falls, all that needs to be done is to select an oak seedling in the clearing and cut back the rhododendron around it for a few years until the oak seedling is taller.
    This comment cannot be taken seriously.

Lets be honest here, the oak forests of Ireland were cut down by people.
    The bogs are being stripped by people. We are the invasive species doing all the damage.

Lets be honest here, the oak forests of Ireland were cut down by people.
    The bogs are being stripped by people. We are the invasive species doing all the damage.

Quite true, but nobody is going to suggest we eradicate ourselves!

Also, we have to work with the situation as we find it now: 99% of the native woodlands are gone, cut down by our ancestors. But it's imperative that what remains is conserved (and restored where degraded), and the main obstacle to that is invasive species, including rhododendron but also sika deer, feral goats etc., etc.

It is vitally important that people understand just how much ecological damage invasive species - introduced by... people - do. They are seriously damaging almost every habitat we have - on both land and water, not only woodland. If this issue were taken as seriously as it deserves to be, some progress could be made on curtailing that damage, instead of, for example, people continuing to buy and plant rhododendron in their gardens all up and down the country because 'the flowers are gorgeous', and because you can pick them up for €2.99 apiece in Lidl.

.......feral goats............
    According to this recent research, goats walked here across the land bridge from the Continent, which would make them a native invasive species.
    But their numbers were generally kept in check by hungry people.
    Not sure whether that means they should be protected or eradicated.

According to this recent research, goats walked here across the land bridge from the Continent, which would make them a native invasive species.
    But their numbers were generally kept in check by hungry people.
    Not sure whether that means they should be protected or eradicated.

Interesting article. It doesn't say what evidence there is for their presence prior to the disappearance of the land bridge. I would be surprised if there weren't other opinions on that. Either way, I would think it's fair to say that the feral goats of today are the products of millennia of interbreeding with escaped or released domestic goats.

In any case, you are right to point out that the crucial issue here is density. They have no predators apart from the odd hunter. If you have on average one goat for every 10km2, there won't be a problem, but if you have large groups of up to 100 hanging around a particular area, they will eat everything in sight and do enormous damage ecologically - especially in native woodland. Apparently in Killarney NP they are shot on sight. However I have heard that they actually maintain certain important habitat types in the Burren by keeping the hazel in check, so I suppose it's a question of judging their impact on a case by case basis.

• Advertisement

would be suprised if anything feral survived the famine :rolleyes:
    8,175,124 hungry mouths in 1841

Not so easy to catch when they retreat to the mountains, and your best weapon is an old musket accurate to 50 metres or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Anyhow back to toxic.... Try adding a good bit of food colouring to your choice of weedkiller easier to see where you've been, and if add a squeeze of washing up liquid ,it makes the whole lot a bit stickier ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13 moonstone63

To get back to what started this thread :i have managed to get rid of most of the Montbretia growing here: dug out most of it, and then soaked the corns in a barrel for a few months - (or burn them), if added to the compost they survive. There will be new growth, regular pulling out, strimming and or mowing (it is everywhere in my field) keeps it under control, the essential ingredient is time - as I managed this in 7 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

It's not as simple as that. Biological relationships between species that have taken millennia or more to develop are very, very complex and often very fragile.

It's obviously the native ground flora which is affected by being replaced, not hedgerow plants.

Ok so ecosystems are not static things. They change and evolve over time. Also I do not believe that humans are outside ecosystems. We are part of it. I sincerely doubt that montbretia is causing serious damage (but am open to correction on that) compared to say... pesticide applications, intensive agriculture, or even other less benign invaders such as Japanese knotweed or even rhododendron.

neither fuchsia or montbretia were native in the south west, but at what point do they become native?

However I have heard that they actually maintain certain important habitat types in the Burren by keeping the hazel in check, so I suppose it's a question of judging their impact on a case by case basis.

they used to keep the hazel in check however it was a special type of goat and they were all rounded up and got rid of years ago, and now the hazel is running rampant and local landowners cant keep on top of it.

So now the goat is gone and not so easy to replace apparently. :(

To get back to what started this thread :i have managed to get rid of most of the Montbretia growing here: dug out most of it, and then soaked the corns in a barrel for a few months - (or burn them), if added to the compost they survive. There will be new growth, regular pulling out, strimming and or mowing (it is everywhere in my field) keeps it under control, the essential ingredient is time - as I managed this in 7 years...

If the growth is limited in area, I've since heard that covering it with black plastic weighted down at the edges for a period can work too, though I'm not sure how long you'd have to do that for.

fits wrote: »
    Ok so ecosystems are not static things. They change and evolve over time. Also I do not believe that humans are outside ecosystems. We are part of it. I sincerely doubt that montbretia is causing serious damage (but am open to correction on that) compared to say... pesticide applications, intensive agriculture, or even other less benign invaders such as Japanese knotweed or even rhododendron.

neither fuchsia or montbretia were native in the south west, but at what point do they become native?

You are mistaken to think that we are part of any ecosystems in the sense that you mean. We may have been part of another, African, savannah-type ecosystem 100,000 or so years ago but definitely not now. That is not to say we don't depend on ecosystems: we do so completely.

But human activity is generally highly destructive of natural ecosytems through what ecologists call HIPPO, for short. That is, in descending order of impact:

H - Habitat destruction (i.e. cutting rainforests etc.)
    I - Invasive introduced species (i.e. rhododendron, montretia, etc)
    P - (over)Population
    P - Pollution
    O - Overharvesting (overfishing, hunting of wildlife, etc.)

These 5 main ways in which our species impacts on the natural world are often mutually exacerbating, combining with one another to cause massive damage. Note that invasive species is no. 2 in order of importance.

You are absolutely right to say that ecosystems are not static; on the contrary, they are often incredibly dynamic, though not in the sense of a constant and rapid transferal of species geographically. Species do naturally move from one area to area, but only at a tiny, tiny, fraction of the rate with which humans move them, often from one side of the world to another. Islands, whose ecosytems are often particularly delicate, are particularly vulnerable to this problem. Hawaii for example, has been decimated by introduced species: to see native birds, plants, and many other types of organisms on the islands is now extremely difficult. They have nearly all either become extinct or been driven to remote difficult-to-reach places by introduced invasive species.

It's essential that people, especially those concerned with ecology, become educated on this issue, because there is still a lot of confusion about it, for e.g. equating the differentiation between native and introduced species with racism among people, a totally erroneous and absurd analogy.

This is way too serious a problem worldwide for any lack of clarity on what the issues are, the damage being done, and the possible solutions.

Interesting discussion but I still think its erroneous to think of human beings as being outside an ecosystem. And I certainly wouldnt think the HIPPO is in descending order of severity as I would certainly put overpopulation and pollution higher but that is subjective.

Also species can be extremely adaptable, perhaps at the same rate of humans. they have had to be in the face of events such as Ice Ages, volcanoes, fires etc. (phenotypic plasticity etc)

I am in complete agreement with you that preservation of biodiversity is extremely important and that many new species are damaging. But I dont think they all are and a certain degree of change in species is inevitable and maybe desirable as environments inevitably change.

• Advertisement

You are mistaken to think that we are part of any ecosystems in the sense that you mean. We may have been part of another, African, savannah-type ecosystem 100,000 or so years ago but definitely not now.
    The default ecosystem in Ireland is probably thick forest for most areas, and people lived as a part of this kind of ecosystem in Europe for tens of thousands of years before the major deforestation started.

If you were trying to go back to that ecosystem you might have some sort of point, however impractical.
    But you are like an Amish leader, thinking that our role is to stop time at some arbitrary and halcyon point in early modern history, as if that was somehow the best of all possible times.

Advertisement