Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you give for wedding present?

Options
  • 24-04-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I know there have been lots of these posts already but I would like an updated view!

I'm going to an old school friends wedding (we're not super close)
    I'm bringing my new partner (who doesn't know the girl who's getting married)

Was wondering what people think is acceptable?
    Neither of us are rolling in money!

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved to the Weddings, Marriage & Civil Partnership forum. Please note that their charter applies from here on in.

Regards,
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I don't believe there should be a "set rate" that people should give as a wedding present. Each guest should give what they can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

mike_ie wrote: »
    Moved to the Weddings, Marriage & Civil Partnership forum. Please note that their charter applies from here on in.

Regards,
    Mike

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

As someone recently married the normal amount we got per couple was 150 (although almost half the couples gave 200)...I usually gave 150 when we attended a wedding (not for family members though, I would give more).

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Check out the whole debate a few posts up if you want to have your head truly melted!

As with what Solerina said, the "norm" these days in terms of cash gifts tends to be €150-200 per couple. Gifts can vary - I often make the wedding cake as a gift, so just give a small personal token (such as framed picture of somewhere special to them) with that. But I have given big gifts like a Nespresso machine to people I knew would love it. If you're strapped for cash, a gift might be better as you are less likely to be "judged"....not that you should be anyway, but I don't know the couple involved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

We got cash gifts ranging from €100-200. It was pretty balanced between gifts of €100, €150 and €200

I personally wouldn't give less than €100 from a couple. We usually give €150 and €200 if its a really close friend.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

solerina wrote: »
    As someone recently married the normal amount we got per couple was 150 (although almost half the couples gave 200)...I usually gave 150 when we attended a wedding (not for family members though, I would give more).

same as ourselves. We've given around the same too. Sometime if found a small gift, then would give that plus some cash to make up the difference so to speak.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement