Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Dublin wedding - planned from abroad..

Options
  • 23-04-2014 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I am from New Zealand and will be getting married to my Irish fiancée in Dublin in December 2014. (Thinking Christmassy themes – holly in bouquet, lots of red, candy canes etc.. but very simple). In process of completing intent to marry forms ( nightmare when we both don’t live in the country!!).

Am hoping for help with any of the below….

Venue: Since we are having such a small wedding (25 people) I am finding it almost impossible to find a venue – I have literally emailed every venue in Dublin ( H2B definitely wants Dublin city and December only) but they all have minimum numbers. At the moment we are 80% certain we will book City Hall as we wouldn’t have to decorate ( beautiful building) it’s central and would photograph well.. Has anyone been to a wedding here before?

Reception: Due to numbers, this will be more of a “dinner” as opposed to anything formal as again we don’t meet minimum numbers for any wedding packages… I was thinking somewhere that does a Christmas dinner ( we got engaged on Christmas day and love Christmas) and that has decorated for Christmas ie: tree, fire etc ( thus saving on decorations (no point for such small numbers) but don’t want it closing too early….

Makeup and Hair: I am pretty much going off google – and then trying to track on a map – suggestions welcome!

Well that’s it from me, sorry for the long post – turns out I need help with more than I thought even for such a simple small wedding- everything is so much harder with the time difference and not being able to just pop in and have a chat with suppliers!!

I would really really appreciate any suggestions you can provide.. Am going to ask sister in law to be if she can view venue for me so will let you know how we go!! YAY!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Libsrose wrote: »
    Hi

I am from New Zealand and will be getting married to my Irish fiancée in Dublin in December 2014. (Thinking Christmassy themes – holly in bouquet, lots of red, candy canes etc.. but very simple). In process of completing intent to marry forms ( nightmare when we both don’t live in the country!!).

Am hoping for help with any of the below….

Venue: Since we are having such a small wedding (25 people) I am finding it almost impossible to find a venue – I have literally emailed every venue in Dublin ( H2B definitely wants Dublin city and December only) but they all have minimum numbers. At the moment we are 80% certain we will book City Hall as we wouldn’t have to decorate ( beautiful building) it’s central and would photograph well.. Has anyone been to a wedding here before?

Reception: Due to numbers, this will be more of a “dinner” as opposed to anything formal as again we don’t meet minimum numbers for any wedding packages… I was thinking somewhere that does a Christmas dinner ( we got engaged on Christmas day and love Christmas) and that has decorated for Christmas ie: tree, fire etc ( thus saving on decorations (no point for such small numbers) but don’t want it closing too early….

Makeup and Hair: I am pretty much going off google – and then trying to track on a map – suggestions welcome!

Well that’s it from me, sorry for the long post – turns out I need help with more than I thought even for such a simple small wedding- everything is so much harder with the time difference and not being able to just pop in and have a chat with suppliers!!

I would really really appreciate any suggestions you can provide.. Am going to ask sister in law to be if she can view venue for me so will let you know how we go!! YAY!
    Odessa for those numbers. Central. Great food. Small DJ and dance area. Open late. It becomes open to public after a certain time at night for private parties. But everyone's got a few drinks on them at that stage and is a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Many of the restaurants in Dublin have private dining areas. Check out The Residence, Cliff Town House, Lockes, possibly L'ecrivain as well.

If you're looking for someone to come to the hotel for hair and makeup both Mrs2be.ie and Weddingsonline.ie have supplier lists. If you want to go to salon, I would recommend Dylan Bradshaw - they do both and it's really nice.

Good luck - Dublin at Christmastime is magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

You could look into private dining and then onto a pub afterwards? Lots of lovely restaurants have private rooms, try Dax, Darwins, Locks Brasserie etc. Google will help you out there.

For hair & makeup I suggest Brown Sugar on South William St. They will give you super special treatment including a glass of champagne while getting your hair done! It's a bit pricey but well worth it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd imagine since its office party season you might find it tougher to get a venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Hi,
    Schoolhouse Hotel in Ballsbridge is lovely. It has a room upstairs that will take 25 people for a ceremony and the restaurant downstairs is lovely.

We're getting married there in September 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Reception - I'd suggest you make this your priority and book it asap. We find with our work Xmas party that venues get booked out earlier and earlier each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

amdublin wrote: »
    Reception - I'd suggest you make this your priority and book it asap. We find with our work Xmas party that venues get booked out earlier and earlier each year.

This. For sure.

A lot of Dublin hotels have smaller function rooms that would definitely suit your numbers.

The Westbury Hotel is really lovely around Christmas and having been in some of their function/meeting rooms, you could definitely find a suitable space. Some of their rooms also have fireplaces which could be a nice touch to a Christmas wedding. Plus they're licensed for civil ceremonies.

Not quite the city centre, but The St. Helen's Radisson is also beautiful at Christmastime, and has a small function room, as well as the larger spaces. The Anglers Rest is also lovely. A friend of mine had her wedding there and had 50 guests I believe. Not sure if either are licensed for ceremonies though.

I've had dinner in the private room upstairs in One Pico (the Polo room possibly?). It's nice, the food is good, and the staff are great. I think we were a group of 22 and fitted in just fine.

Advertisement