Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For all Proper Users of 4X4s

Options
  • 01-05-2008 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

What is the heaviest thing you have every put in or towed with your 4X4, be it leagal or just on the grey side of legal.

Recently I towed a 3ton vintage tractor on an ifor williams trailer with my own (gutless) 2.5 pajero, and I thought it was slow before!!

Seriously though there must be some good stories out there, a few years ago a friend of mine towed a 4.5 ton tarctor on a tri-axel low loader, 20 miles, behind a 1991 Landcrusier. Good job there was no Gardi around :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Well, not me or a 4WD, but my cousin pulled a 2 ton stationary engine with his Vauxhall Astra 1.7TD! The car barely pulled it, but he got there in the end!

I did remember seeing some time ago a Mercedes ML (don't know which engine model) pulling a large Iveco container truck before. That must have been quite a feat!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Does pulling a 3.5 ton motorhome off the wet grass and up a slope count?

I was very proud of my wheezy little diesel, so I was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

I saw this once.

Image028.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The most I have towed was about 1.5tonnes of gravel on a twin axel trailer. Was out of a steep quarry, bone dry though.

Probably slightly off topic, but I had to tow an twin axel tipping trailer once that had seized bearings on one side with an L200. The journey was about 15 miles. What a stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

towed a 3.5 tonne digger on a twin axled ifor williams, thought it was a 3 tonne. every time I went through a puddle there was a pyrotechnic cloud of steam, towed it with a pajero sport(the only thing worse than the steam was the smell of burning clutch everytime I changed gear).
    Towed a 1.5 tonne boat on a single axled trailer from Essex in the east of england to roscommon, the only time I had any problems with the size of boat or width of the trailer was when I reached Dublin. A Dublin bus tried to sideswipe me by pulling out without looking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I remember reading in a 4x4 magazine a few years ago about a guy who used a Discovery 200TDi to tow 15 ton long boats around a harbour / boat yard. He had it in low range the whole time, but I was just amazed to hear that the Disco was able to move such heavy trailers, even in low range!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...and then there would be the famous video of Clarkson(?) pulling a 747 with a Tuareg

peasant wrote: »
    ...and then there would be the famous video of Clarkson(?) pulling a 747 with a Tuareg

I remember that, it was class. It was organised by 5th gear and the VW UK press office. They loaded the Touareg down with weight until it weighed over 7 tonnes and the 747 weighed something like 155 tonnes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

And this

carina.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

aravan wrote: »
    And this

carina.jpg
    A few years ago, and not a million miles from where that photo was taken, I met an Isuzu Trooper towing a builders' trailer piled high with sand; with a mini-digger perched on top! :eek:
    I hope the driver didn't have to perform any unexpected braking.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

What about this one?????:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhcL108AFF4

What about this one?????:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhcL108AFF4

That actually made me laugh out loud, even after the 2nd time I watched it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

What is the heaviest thing you have every put in or towed with your 4X4, be it leagal or just on the grey side of legal.

Recently I towed a 3ton vintage tractor on an ifor williams trailer with my own (gutless) 2.5 pajero, and I thought it was slow before!!

Seriously though there must be some good stories out there, a few years ago a friend of mine towed a 4.5 ton tarctor on a tri-axel low loader, 20 miles, behind a 1991 Landcrusier. Good job there was no Gardi around :eek:
    That's hardly funny. Could have killed someone.

Anywho. Not me but a friend that works in shipping burnt out the clutch in his Hilux trying to move a tanker with it. Didn't sound like the first time he'd tried it. Can't remember how much the tanker weighed.

Edit: The tanker was in the water obviously. Unlike the story with the trailers above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Not strictly the sort of 4x4 this forum is for, but it does involve a four wheel drive vehicle and it fits this thread perfectly, so here goes-

A 'source' of mine (who is very well connected and who I trust to tell the truth) in the farm machinery trade told me the following:
    A contractor working on the M-50 upgrade purchased a large and sophisticated agricultural tractor (think '6 figure sum') for use on the project, but he got endless trouble with the transmission.
    The tractor was constantly back at the main dealer getting stuff fixed under warranty: clutch packs, ECUs, pumps, seals, etc.
    The manufacturer saw this particular tractor appearing on the warranty list a lot more than would be considered normal, so they send a spectacularly qualified technician with a heap of test and diagnostic equipment over to have a look at it.
    The technician presented himself at the owner's yard early one morning and told the young lad who let him in who he was and that he wanted to see the faulty tractor.
    "That's it over there" said the young lad, pointing at the tractor, which was hitched up to an enormous low-loader trailer with a 40 tonne digger on it, total load on the high side of 50 tonnes.
    "Is that what it usually tows?" asked the technician.
    "Yes" said the young lad, "it does nothing else."
    "Thank you very much" said the technician, as he took out a camera, took a load of photographs of the outfit, and left.

All further warranty claims on the tractor were denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

just 2 tonne bags of sand and 10 bags of cement in my 3/4 tonne single angle sankey trailer with my td5 90, stopping was fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Buddy of mine :
    http://wagoneers.com/FSJ/18wheels.html

scroll down a bit to see the freightliner ;-)

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

something simular in Cork when a New Holland 165 was checked as a result of loads of return visits to the seller and had been chipped up 50 hp by the owner again to pull a low loader

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Skylined

I loaned my 14' tri axle jpm plant trailer to a neighbour farmer to get 2 ton of fertiliser from co op 3 mile away, he came back fully loaded with 7 ton on it !!!!! He was pulling it with an 08 Toyota landscruiser, he doesn't know what low range is!!, with the trailer that's 8 ton behind the jeep. He wasn't too concerned about my tires or hubs . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

Skylined wrote: »
    I loaned my 14' tri axle jpm plant trailer to a neighbour farmer to get 2 ton of fertiliser from co op 3 mile away, he came back fully loaded with 7 ton on it !!!!! He was pulling it with an 08 Toyota landscruiser, he doesn't know what low range is!!, with the trailer that's 8 ton behind the jeep. He wasn't too concerned about my tires or hubs . . . .

A neighbour borrowed his bosses IW 14 ft tri axle for the same job. He was VERY proud of bringing home 5 tons of fert on it, behind a 04 Disco td5 . 30 years ago I remember a friend having 2 tons of fertiliser on a homemade car transporter behind a Vauxhall Chevette hatchback with all of 1256 cc thumping away under the bonnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Slig wrote: »
    towed a 3.5 tonne digger on a twin axled ifor williams, thought it was a 3 tonne. every time I went through a puddle there was a pyrotechnic cloud of steam, towed it with a pajero sport(the only thing worse than the steam was the smell of burning clutch everytime I changed gear).
    Towed a 1.5 tonne boat on a single axled trailer from Essex in the east of england to roscommon, the only time I had any problems with the size of boat or width of the trailer was when I reached Dublin. A Dublin bus tried to sideswipe me by pulling out without looking.

We tow one of them every day, pretty much, shifting it from job to job, usually with a lowly transit with 85 horses..
    Biggest I erm, have ever errr heard someone tow was a 6.5 ton forklift on a tripple axel trailer, with a Hiace. From Dublin, to Naas. Which was heavy going.

If yo give me a 4*4 and a decent trailer, skys the limit. And often, hauling heavy scrap to the yard, it has been..5 ton, shure be grand...them were the days..

I towed a broken down Suzuki Grand vitara hitched to a tripple axel ifor trailer carrying 3+(a lot more) ton of scaffolding up off the Tullamore by-pass for a few miles to a filling station, with a little Fiat Scudo. Naah, I didn't think it would tow it either, especially up-hill, but it did. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

4 ton of wood chip in an ifor Williams 12x6 trailer up still organ dual carriageway to the beehive in Wicklow with an isuzu trooper 3.1 . Got stuck at every set of lights ,still have the weigh docket ,think it was 7 ton altogether 2 for trooper 1 for trailer and 4 for wood chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

ubs69 wrote: »
    4 ton of wood chip in an ifor Williams 12x6 trailer up still organ dual carriageway to the beehive in Wicklow with an isuzu trooper 3.1 . Got stuck at every set of lights ,still have the weigh docket ,think it was 7 ton altogether 2 for trooper 1 for trailer and 4 for wood chip

At risk of being called bold, we toddled across the pond to collect three mini-tractors on a 16' trailer with a Nissan Terrano. This was ill-judged, in terms of size, weight and capacity, but we were young and a bit dumb. Turned out they were 3 ton each, who knew? They also didn't really fit either.. got them back tho. But not again, for diamonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Skip to 2.0

Advertisement