Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Getting into the Security Guard Sector

Options
  • 28-07-2010 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

Just looking for some advice on getting involved in Security,Probably Retail to get started.I no you have to do the fetac course to apply for psa licence,

Just looking for some info on the job and peoples personal experiences in the industry itself

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

Hi, I’m a Security Manager in the manned guarding sector of the Security Industry.

My advice would be to complete the Fetac Level 4 course, and apply for your PSA licence. You should be issued with a Section 52 letter. This letter will allow you to apply and gain employment in the industry while you wait for your actual plastic licence.

The retail position you are looking for is normally only opened to people with experience. :( A retail guard has to not only be aware of the law, but would also require knowledge of petty criminals who operate in the area.

You might have to be prepared to work as a static guard on sites such as hospitals, offices, factories and unused building sites, often at night and weekends and depending on the type of site, on your own.

If you really want to pursue a job as a retail guard, you might consider seeking work as a commercial guard in a shopping centre. The required experience level is often lower but, again you would have to work unsocial hours for a long time, or until an opening comes up on the day shift. :(

The rates of pay for entry level guards are around the €10.00 mark rising to €10.75 after three years continuous service with an employment or three years documented experience, although a lot of employers are unwilling to pay this rate to guards, even if they have this amount of experience.

You will also have to supply a ten year history, which will have to include any periods of unemployment - hope this helps and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 49 donalgeraghty

Thanks for the info,From what you said,id be more interested in doing static security,Would you recommend any security company that operate in west to apply for a job when i get the psa?

do you recommend a company that do the fetac course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

You would probably find it much easier to land a job in one of the static guard roles like I mentioned.

I'm based out of Dublin, so can’t really help you out at all there. I could recommend some of the bigger national companies like Federal Security Services, who are part of the Noonan group of companies now I think.

There are others such as securitas, chubb, MCM, MCR have a look in the golden pages or on the number of online recruitment sites.

As for companies providing training, it is adult based learning set to comform with the Fetac model so every place (should) offer the same package. If you’re unemployed at the moment, I believe social welfare will pay for the course.

Contact your local Fás centre and see what they can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 donalgeraghty

Thanks for the info,greatly appreciated.

Advertisement