Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone-ESB 250MBps delivered over power Lines?

Options
  • 02-09-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

(This is anecdotal but I have no reason to believe the source is bullshi**ing)

A guy from the business fibre side of Vodafone told a business colleague that an announcement was due "in late September" of a new initiative from the Vodafone-ESB joint venture for the delivery of broadband at (up to, I presume) 250MBps speeds over ESB copper power lines, NOT FTTH. The plan, he says, is to target areas and customers who are not being considered for Eircom eFibre, nor UPC, ie small town and rural customers. Further developments should extend to full "triple play" of broadband, phone and TV. I guess they could get a premium price if they are not slugging it out with eircom/sky/UPC.

If true, and I hope to God it is, it seems strange that none of this has leaked yet, equipment being ordered, people being trained etc. I don't know what countries are doing this yet, nor what companies are supplying equipment capable of delivering 250MBps over a few km of power lines. I guess the location of your local ESB substation is going to be of great interest? Makes a change from eFibre cab spotting!

Here's hoping!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hmmmm ... I read somewhere a couple of years ago that the same technology that works over home plugs would not work on the larger electrical network.

There's an ar$eload of transformers scattered around the fields out here, with every farmer getting their own and then one to 3-4 domestic customers. I gotta imagine those would screw up a data signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Here's hopingDreaming!

FYP.

There isnt any tech that Im aware of (nor BK I suspect) that can deliver 250Mbps over the mains network in real world deployments. All mains connections pass through AT LEAST 1 RCD/RCBO which nukes signalling.

What hes talking about IS FTTH and he just hasn't copped that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the only thing I could find is this AC-WAN tech that claims to be able to do 288Mbps over electric wires:

http://www.fast-bpl.com/products.html

But I've never heard of it actually been deployed anywhere and all seems very dubious.

So it seems it is possible, but I doubt it, more likely it is just FTTH and the sales guy got it mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Its fibre, here is the press release http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pressreleaseWS.jsp?id=4074

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

She likely just got confused about the offering.

It's probably just a 250mbps offering for the people who won't want to pay for 1gbps when siro's out. Still fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

caff wrote: »
    Its fibre, here is the press release http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pressreleaseWS.jsp?id=4074

That press release is from July 2014 and heralded what we now know as Siro.
    /\/ollog wrote: »
    She likely just got confused about the offering.

It's probably just a 250mbps offering for the people who won't want to pay for 1gbps when siro's out. Still fibre.

Agreed, though I thought the tiers were:
    1. 150Mbps
    2. 300Mbps
    3. 1,000Mbps
    Or maybe that's just what EirWhatever :p will be offering.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    1. 150Mbps
    2. 300Mbps
    3. 1,000Mbps
    Or maybe that's just what EirWhatever :p will be offering.

That is Eircom, as was revealed by Eircom Wholesale docs.

SIRO has been talking about their speeds starting at 200Mbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I though all they were doing was using the ESB to hang fibre on the existing poles, not transferring data over the power cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Is it possible that fibre would be used on the main line, and then the actual break off electric line to the house could be used from there? Asking as a non-tech.......

KOR101 wrote: »
    Is it possible that fibre would be used on the main line, and then the actual break off electric line to the house could be used from there? Asking as a non-tech.......

Yes, it is possible, sort of like how Eircom could use G.FAST + FTTDp to cover the last 100 meters from the pole to the house.

However I haven't really heard about any technology like this being used anywhere else, so I doubt it, but still possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'd have to break the line and fit a noise filter, it'd be a lot dimple to run a fibre core around the existing cable.

Advertisement