Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange WLAN Issue - eFibre and Sky

Options
  • 01-09-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Here's a weird one for ye...

I have eircom's eFibre broadband installed which comes with the F2000 modem. On this I've setup the 2.4G and 5G networks with my own SSID and IP range. The only other network in range is a SKYxxxx ID

BUT... when I connect to my SSID from my laptop it's getting a different IP range and Gateway.. When I type this Gateway IP into a browser it opens up a Sky Hub config screen - presumably the neighbour's!

I can browse the Internet fine on this 2nd network.. indeed this post is being sent through it, because I can see the Sky Hub config I can see the IP range is indeed different as is the SSID and Channel.. and yet it works with my own SSID and WiFi credentials?

I've tried changing the SSID on my own router which works (Windows sees the new name) but it still connects back to the Sky gateway when I connect to the new SSID

It's bizarre! Anyone seen anything similar or any thoughts?

EDIT: It gets stranger! When I open the Sky config screen it reckons my physically cabled home server is hooked into it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Have your laptop forget the network and reconnect to it? Does that make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have your laptop forget the network and reconnect to it? Does that make any difference?

Nope.. right now I have an Ethernet connection to the switch with a manual IP in the correct range, and the WiFi reckons its on my SSID but has an IP in the Sky hub's range

This is very weird.. I've checked my own DHCP server and it shows IPs assigned to the neighbours equipment (which I've immediately removed). I've worked in IT for 15+ years and never seen anything like this.

EDIT: I've had a thought.. I'm using a pair of homeplugs to extend the WiFi signal to the end of the apartment via a 2nd router. Is it possible that the neighbours maybe have homeplugs themselves and they're getting onto my network that way?

EDIT 2: I've now deleted all the leases and enabled MAC filtering on the routers and DHCP server so will keep an eye on it for the next few days. Since doing this things appear to be back to normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its the homeplugs. You never setup the AES link encryption so theyre acting as a single mesh. The sky hub is clearly responding that bit faster to DHCP calls bcast out.

ED E wrote: »
    Its the homeplugs. You never setup the AES link encryption so theyre acting as a single mesh. The sky hub is clearly responding that bit faster to DHCP calls bcast out.

Will have to check that out.. I'm not using eircom's homeplugs as the tech ran cables from the hall to the point I wanted it instead.

Is this in the eircom router somewhere (AES encryption for the WiFi is enabled with a password) or should I be looking on the homeplugs themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Homeplugs themselves.

When you install homeplugs they simple TX out saying "ANYONE THERE?" and link up with anything that responds. Nice and user friendly. But nothing stops other HPs joining the party. Then you can go through the pairing procedure, press 1, press 2, link shares an encryption key and away you go, nobody else can get in without pairing again.

ED E wrote: »
    Homeplugs themselves.

When you install homeplugs they simple TX out saying "ANYONE THERE?" and link up with anything that responds. Nice and user friendly. But nothing stops other HPs joining the party. Then you can go through the pairing procedure, press 1, press 2, link shares an encryption key and away you go, nobody else can get in without pairing again.

Cool thanks a mil... After a bit of searching I've found a link to the utility (these were generic 200M PL adapters that I think came from a BA link originally).

Utility seems to launch under Win 8.1 anyway so will check this out later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Heh ... nice opportunity to setup setup Multiwan :P http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/multiwan

Advertisement