Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Broadband/Phone Line

Options
  • 31-08-2015 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

I am having a problem for the past few months with my DSL is connecting at very low speeds and is nearly unusable at times.

The modem is connected into the main socket (we only have one) via a filter which allows us to use the phone as well. I am with Vodafone and when I contacted them about it, they did a line test which failed but when I disconnected the filter and phone and connected the modem directly, it passed. I have tested the internet with just the modem plugged in and it works much faster.

Vodafone have blamed either my phone or filter but I have replaced both and still the problem remains. I am wondering if the problem lays with the socket? Vodafone refuse to send Eircom out as they say it is my equipment and Eircom will charge me €150, etc.

I spotted a new type of Eircom socket:

http://www.kedingtondirect.ie/index.php/pressac-adsl-centralised-filter.html

Will this socket work with standard DSL or is it meant for E-Fibre? Also, is it hard to wire myself?

Many Thanks!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Have you tried different telephone leads to modem and phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Hi Ten Pin,

I have replaced the leads, replaced the filter (twice), replaced the phone and even replaced the router. The problem still remains when I use the filter to split the phone/router but when the router is plugged in alone with no filter, it is perfect...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Line may be badly terminated. Their line test should show this. Get onto level 2 support who may understand this. The NTU itself IS part of the eircom network.

ED E wrote: »
    Line may be badly terminated. Their line test should show this. Get onto level 2 support who may understand this. The NTU itself IS part of the eircom network.

Thanks ED E, I will get back to Vodafone to see if I can get them to send Eircom out to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yeah they should have sent an engineer out already if you're on the "efibre" FTTC package, since you don't have the new NTU.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Yeah they should have sent an engineer out already if you're on the "efibre" FTTC package, since you don't have the new NTU.

No, I am afraid Efibre hasn't reached us here yet...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Shyboy wrote: »
    No, I am afraid Efibre hasn't reached us here yet...:(

As I posted, BT wrecked my phone line by sending data down the line to the router,eventually having, like you been blamed for everything, and changing everything, when I returned the whole thing, and cancelled the contract, the phone went back to normal , I felt like sending them an invoice for fixing their fault.

Advertisement