Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi extender - TP Link

• 27-08-2015 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

OK, this might be a stupid question but here it goes!
    I recently got set up on UPC but the wifi wasn't great upstairs.
    I bought the TP-Link Powerline Extender and now upstairs is great but downstairs is poor.

Am I to select the UPC connection when downstairs and the TP-Link when upstairs? I read I should turn the wireless option off on the router but that hasn't made a difference to the speed.

Anyone have one of these or similiar that can help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just set the passwords and name for both networks to be the same. Device should connect to which ever has best signal.

If you turn the wireless off downstairs, then of course the signal downstairs will be poor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

OK, this might be a stupid question but here it goes!
    I recently got set up on UPC but the wifi wasn't great upstairs.
    I bought the TP-Link Powerline Extender and now upstairs is great but downstairs is poor.

Am I to select the UPC connection when downstairs and the TP-Link when upstairs? I read I should turn the wireless option off on the router but that hasn't made a difference to the speed.

Anyone have one of these or similiar that can help?

I'd also recommend getting a better router, the one UPC provide is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

srsly78 wrote: »
    Just set the passwords and name for both networks to be the same. Device should connect to which ever has best signal
    This can be extremely hit and miss depending on the stickiness of the client. I have heard that iOS devices tend to cling on to an AP until the signal is almost completely lost. My Android clients are at best OK at picking the most powerful access point. For our planned house it's gonna be a proper access point side solution, probably ubiquiti unifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭needinghelp

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement