Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna fail/gael merge our only hope?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Looking at the way things are going at the mo with the government and what we have potentially as the alternative im left wondering is our only hope resting in getting the best from both fianna parties to join up?

A government of sinn fein / independants coalition doesnt exactly look that appealing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I doubt they'll merge and I hope they don't, but a FG/FF coalition is the most likely outcome for the next government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I would guess that the FF-FG coalition is the most likely outcome of the next election, although FF and FG will both try to maintain their political distance from one another by portraying the coalition as "an alliance" in the style of the Independent alliance currently being proposed.

If this arose, you would see reduced coherence and greater internal debate in a centre-right/ centrist Government, which I think is the best outcome that Ireland could reasonably hope for at this stage in the electoral cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Obviously FG/Lab can't be repeated because Labour are going to be incinerated.

A FG/FF coalition will be the same as the FG/Labour coalition was this time; Probably nothing much will get done, but at least it means stability.

A lot of public servants are prepared to vote for FF, people who refuse to vote for FG and want to punish Labour, but could never bring themselves to vote for SF - nothing to do with SF policies, but purely on principle, which is understandable. So FF basically have a ready made vote waiting for them, just swap out the Labour seats and swap in the FF seats.

FG/FF will share government for 2016 and it will be like that cartoon, Cities of Gold, where the two parts of the Medallion are combined, then Michael Collins and Dev will appear in ghostly form as old friends, reconciled, like Obi Wan and Anakin at the end of ROTJ, and the disturbance in the force will cease & Atlantis will rise up out of the sea and fit perfectly with Ireland, and then we'll be 8 times the size of England, with ease.

*FF/FG really need to declare their willingness to go into coalition together prior to the GE tho, because I might end up voting independent otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If they merged, they would be smaller than the sum of their parts.

It will never happen anyway.

A begrudging coalition is as close as they might get.

Advertisement