Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Did Eircom release any details on how they play to run FTTH? I would throw a guess that they will only be running FTTH in estates/built-up-areas and rural folks will miss out but would like to see details if they exist
    Well rural areas will miss out sadly we have to wait until the second half of 2016 for NBP first areas to be fibre enable.The question is who will win the contract it either be one bidder or two.it could go ESB/Vodafone or maybe Eircom/ESB the second one would be strange as long as no wireless company win it cough 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

rob808 wrote: »
    Well rural areas will miss out sadly we have to wait until the second half of 2016 for NBP first areas to be fibre enable.The question is who will win the contract it either be one bidder or two.it could go ESB/Vodafone or maybe Eircom/ESB the second one would be strange as long as no wireless company win it cough 3.

There are already rural areas which have FTTC so I would be referring to those locations, asking how they plan to (if they even do) do the FTTH runs in rural areas.

There are already rural areas which have FTTC so I would be referring to those locations, asking how they plan to (if they even do) do the FTTH runs in rural areas.
    I was talking about red ribbon rural areas because most rural towns will get FTTC but Eircom could do FTTH In any place it has FTTC.They will replace the copper with Fibre but gonna take years and alot of money so there gona have to be big demand for higher speed broadband.They would do it over the poles in rural locations they did in belcarra Mayo I look at it on google earth it barely a town.

I was talking about red ribbon rural areas because most rural towns will get FTTC but Eircom could do FTTH In any place it has FTTC.They will replace the copper with Fibre but gonna take years and alot of money so there gona have to be big demand for higher speed broadband.They would do it over the poles in rural locations they did in belcarra Mayo I look at it on google earth it barely a town.

Good stuff - and linky for others to see an overview type video of the installation

Don't think they would be replacing the copper already ran, but looking forward to this in 2016 ;)

Good stuff - and linky for others to see an overview type video of the installation

Don't think they would be replacing the copper already ran, but looking forward to this in 2016 ;)
    There gona do more trails in different locations but there no info as of were so some luck rural location will get FTTH.I love if was were I lived :).They do because you see them running the fibre and putting on the poles in the video but if copper buried underground into the house they could use G.fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Look at the NBP thread. All the big telcos have said FTTH is the only solution for rural Ireland, so that's what they'll probably roll out should they win the contract.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

hfallada wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be competition between internet providers and it puts an end to the constant price increases of UPC

Err... UPC has been reducing their prices and are by far the cheapest.

Just two months ago they reduced their prices as so:

- 120Mb from €44 to €40
    - 200Mb, increased to 240Mb + unlimited mobile calls from €55 to €45, really incredible value for money.

The prices they have been increasing is TV services. But that is mostly driven by wholesale prices increases from TV channel companies like Sky and is largely outside of UPC's control.
    tv221 wrote: »
    Yes UPC have stopped expanding. I can think of numerous area's with hundreds of houses within a few meters of existing network that don't cross busy roads or other such hindrances that have not be cabled as they can't be bothered. Didn't their CEO say they wouldn't look outside current footprint.

So far they aren't expanding outside their current footprint. However they are doing infill within their footprint. For instance just one year ago, my own apartment building was retrofitted with UPC.

However it should be noted that two weeks ago, UPC Irelands parent company, Virgin Media announced a massive expansion in the UK. They are going to spend £3 Billion to expand out to 5 million new homes. So the same could happen here too.

I'd say it will depend on the ESB/Vodafones FTTH plans. If the ESB goes ahead with their rollout, targeting non-UPC urban areas, then there would be little point with UPC expanding into these areas, trying to compete with both ESB FTTH and Eircom FTTC/FTTH.

You don't seem to understand the history behind UPC's entry into the Irish market and the reasons for doing what they did, which actually make a great deal of business and financial sense.

When UPC bought NTL Ireland and Chorus, they found that the existing cable network was in bits. Much of it was built in the 70's and could barely handle digital TV services, never mind high speed broadband. Their first property was to completely rip up and replace this entire network, yes even the coax cables to every home, with a modern hybrid fiber coax network.

The reason this made sense, was that it would allow them to deliver a better TV experience to their existing customers and thus retain them in the face of strong new competition from Sky and then upsell these customers on lovely high speed broadband. It is much easier to up sell to existing customers that you already have a relationship with (billing, etc.) then try and win completely new customers.

This upgrade work is still ongoing, it only makes sense for UPC to start thinking about expanding into new areas, once this work is complete.

Also you seem to be making a mistake in thinking that Eircom are expanding FTTH into rural areas. They aren't.

What they are planning to do is expand FTTH into high density towns around Ireland. If you live a few km outside of these towns, then no, you won't be getting FTTH, either from Eircom or ESB/Vodafone.

It simply doesn't make economic sense for any commercial company, Eircom, ESB or UPC to expand into low density rural areas.

These areas will require subsidies to make it happen, which will hopefully come as part of the NBP.
    murphaph wrote: »
    Long term that's potentially a dangerous business model of course (expand or die etc.). It allows Eircom/ESB to just walk in to non-UPC estates and hook customers up to FTTH. Nobody will move backwards from FTTH to coax cable, so these customers will be extremely difficult to win over to UPC (and only then with FTTH as no matter how fast UPC can sweat their coax, the ESB or Eircom can just push their FTTH up to 11 and it will always be able to go to 11)

Eircom and the ESB will gradually go around rolling out FTTH avoiding UPC but in a few years they will run out of "alternative areas" and will start targeting UPC areas with FTTH (if UPC haven't already upgraded to FTTH themselves, but of course they have the best copper network that has far more bandwidth than a phone line so they are naturally going to be the least inclined to push FTTH the last bit. Maybe the'll look at a coax equivalent of G.Fast, which would allow them to replace the coax running along the fascia board or outside in the duct to be replaced with fibre and the last 10 feet with (what is a very high bandwidth) coax cable.

Hugely interesting times ahead.

It many ways UPC's existing Hybrid Fiber Coax (HFC) network is already like G.Fast. UPC's HFC network brings fiber much closer to peoples homes then Eircoms FTTC cabinets generally do.

With the high quality coax network and DOCSIS 3.1, UPC will easily be able to hit 1Gb/s on their existing network.

And they will able to do this without an expensive FTTH rollout. I believe that UPC's game plan will involve bringing up to 1Gb/s speeds to people for about €10 to €20 per month cheaper then FTTH and without the high install charge of FTTH. That should be more then good enough for most people and should keep them very competitive versus FTTH.

If UPC were to do what you suggest and bring fiber within 10 meters of peoples homes, they could hit 10Gb/s over the existing coax!

Though I don't expect they will do that. If you bring the fiber within 10 meters of the house, then you might as well go all the way and run it right into the house, specially given the way UPC strings coax cable from house to house along the eaves. They can easily do the same with FTTH.

Also Eircom opening up their ducts could really help UPC with this.

This is why the ESB are largely avoiding UPC areas, UPC are very well placed to fend off any competition. Though I do expect Eircom will target these UPC areas with FTTH to stem the flow of customers to UPC and maybe even win some back.
    They'll need to seriously improve their routers! I'm using the ubee one at the moment. Things are bad when the Sky Hub 1.0 was better. A discussion for another thread though probably

Agreed, UPC CPE (Customer Premises Equipment), both broadband and TV, is very poor, which is surprising given how good their network is and that is the hard part!

However their is hope, UPC Ireland is now part of Virgin Media and VM have by far the best CPE gear of any ISP. Their broadband routers are superb, dual radio, dual band models with excellent wireless performance and full support for bridging. They even have a new 802.11ac model in testing at the moment!

On the TV side they use the superb and highly regarded TiVo box. Both their broadband routers and TiVo box are considered by far the best in the UK market.

Hopefully this partnership will have a positive effect on UPC Ireland's CPE.
    I'm sorry if you think I missed the point and that it is amusing for you. My question was what was the motivation for Eircom to continue upgrading the service available to me and hundreds of thousands of others who never got any offer from UPC.

The point of Eircom upgrading their network is largely a defensive one. If they upgrade the network where they have a monopoly and they lock people into new 18 month contracts and people are happy with these new FTTC/FTTH services, then is makes it much less likely that UPC or ESB will decide to expand into these areas and steal 50% of Eircoms customers like they have done in areas where UPC operate.

In particular it was the ESB's announcement that they were going to rollout FTTH into urban non-UPC areas over the next 3 years, that seems to have spurred Eircom into action, rolling out FTTC/H as a defensive move in these areas.
    When are they going into Co Donegal for instance?

No one is, including Eircom! It just isn't economic for any commercial company, including Eircom to rollout new services in very low density areas.

It will take government subsidies as part of the National Broadband Plan to get such places done.
    Bad idea for UPC to sit still though.

When you look at the maps here and the plans of ESB/Vodafone, it would appear so - I presume we'll be looking to UPC to turn up the dial

Yup, UPC already have, offering 240Mb/s for very competitive prices. And I fully expect them to go even higher with DOCSIS 3.1.

In fact, as exciting as all this FTTH talk is, I expect UPC will deliver >500Mb/s much quicker and two more people in Ireland quicker then either ESB or Eircom will do with their FTTH rollouts.

That isn't to criticise Eircom/ESB, their FTTH rollouts are very important, as it will bring 1Gb/s speeds to the rest of Ireland who can't get UPC. But don't underestimate UPC's abilities. They are the ones who have been pushing broadband speeds up in Ireland over the last 10 years and I don't expect that to stop or change.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting point made in this article about G.Fast:

http://www.huawei.com/en/solutions/broader-smarter/hw-364940.htm
    Total G.fast bandwidth is over 1 Gbit/s, which is the sum of upstream and downstream bandwidth.

With G.fast, the upstream/downstream bandwidth ratio can be flexibly set to a value between 1:9 and 1:1 (for example, 900M downstream and 100M upstream; or 500M downstream and 500M upstream).

By comparison with real FTTH, a speed of 1000M down, 1000M up, simultaneously is possible. A definite disadvantage of G.Fast.

Well it true no rural area will get FTTH only with NBP and in areas were they have FTTC they can do FTTH at anytime.The thing is FTTC will do small towns for a good while even in towns on NBP will most likely be FTTC.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Interesting point made in this article about G.Fast:

http://www.huawei.com/en/solutions/broader-smarter/hw-364940.htm

By comparison with real FTTH, a speed of 1000M down, 1000M up, simultaneously is possible. A definite disadvantage of G.Fast.
    There developing 5GBB which is the next up of G.fast but won't be seen until 2020 it can give up to 5GB it on that website.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Quite a lot of eircom efibre customers will now be coming to the end of their initial 18 month contracts. I was originally connected on 30th May 2013 and am delighted with the service to date despite some line problems.

I live in Letterkenny and according to the eircom blurbs the construction of the next phase to enable FTTH in Letterkenny commenced last November. Looking over some older posts of mine I was amused to see the frustration expressed by myself and others at the perceived delays in the initial rollout and connection.

I rang eircom today to see if I could record an expression of interest to connect to the new FTTH when available. I was directed to the eircom site to log my interest but can't for the life of me see where this can be done. If eircom want to stay ahead of the posse they need to facilitate potential customers for the new service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

PeadarB wrote: »
    Quite a lot of eircom efibre customers will now be coming to the end of their initial 18 month contracts.
    All contracts can be terminated with 30 days notice because of the increased charges. Just switched, and did make a point of being careful that I was only signing for 12 months, because my town is on the ESB/Vodaphone list for FTTH.

eNet brining Fiber (FTT Premises) to businesses in Kilkenny:

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/40933-kilkenny-to-become-ireland/

It is moves like this by eNet and ESB that are spurring Eircom into doing FTTH too.

eNet brining Fiber (FTT Premises) to businesses in Kilkenny:

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/40933-kilkenny-to-become-ireland/

It is moves like this by eNet and ESB that are spurring Eircom into doing FTTH too.
    This seems pointless Kilkenny already on Eircom list guess eNet save Eircom some money:).I also notice a lot of towns Eircom doing so is ESB and vodafone example navan question is why are they building two networks in one location.

This seems pointless Kilkenny already on Eircom list guess eNet save Eircom some money:).I also notice a lot of towns Eircom doing so is ESB and vodafone example navan question is why are they building two networks in one location.

Competition.

In this example, eNet is costing Eircom valuable business.

Business in relatively high density towns where Eircom has a monopoly is currently Eircoms bread and butter. If eNet or ESB move into these areas, then that is lost business and therefore revenue and profits for Eircom.

The real money is in owning the network. If you are just a reseller, then profit margins are very thin, not a very good business strategy.

• Advertisement

Competition.

In this example, eNet is costing Eircom valuable business.

Business in relatively high density towns where Eircom has a monopoly is currently Eircoms bread and butter. If eNet or ESB move into these areas, then that is lost business and therefore revenue and profits for Eircom.

The real money is in owning the network. If you are just a reseller, then profit margins are very thin, not a very good business strategy.

Don't eNet run the MAN's? They have run dark fibre to many locations at taxpayer expense - €176m and counting. In Letterkenny for instance they have run fibre to all the main business, school and government office locations in town. The MAN fibre run appears to link back to the ESB co-location point at Lurgybrack about 5 km from the town. Their price list is interesting http://www.enet.ie/uploads/File/New%20Download%20Forms/3.%20Pricing%20Table.pdf
    I suspect eircom and ESB/Vodafone have little to worry about here as eNet have been on the scene for 10 years and have done little or nothing for the ordinary internet end user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Don't eNet run the MAN's? They have run dark fibre to many locations at taxpayer expense - €176m and counting. In Letterkenny for instance they have run fibre to all the main business, school and government office locations in town. The MAN fibre run appears to link back to the ESB co-location point at Lurgybrack about 5 km from the town. Their price list is interesting http://www.enet.ie/uploads/File/New%20Download%20Forms/3.%20Pricing%20Table.pdf
    I suspect eircom and ESB/Vodafone have little to worry about here as eNet have been on the scene for 10 years and have done little or nothing for the ordinary internet end user.

Enet are no competition, their pricing is not even in the same ball park. They have been charging so much for so long because they could, which would be fine if they were a non tax payer funder company.

Watch how quickly they manage to "restructure costs" once competition comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Enet are no competition, their pricing is not even in the same ball park. They have been charging so much for so long because they could, which would be fine if they were a non tax payer funder company.

Watch how quickly they manage to "restructure costs" once competition comes.

+1. eNet tend to charge the ISPs a flat rate for use of the fibre, so there is minimal price difference between them - Viatel/BT etc. Not sure if their pricing would might drop to a sensible level though in areas where the MAN already exists and FTTP may not happen through another provider. Can they use the existing ducts for their fibre product - not sure on that. If so then eNet should be worried....

Obviously the MAN has a better SLA (outages are incredibly rare in my experience) than perhaps is the case with Eircom's FTTP but you pay for it.... Business rates are in the region of 500-1000 Euro per month for 100MB/100MB dependant on location. UNREAL...

MBSnr wrote: »
    +1. eNet tend to charge the ISPs a flat rate for use of the fibre, so there is minimal price difference between them - Viatel/BT etc. Not sure if their pricing would might drop to a sensible level though in areas where the MAN already exists and FTTP may not happen through another provider. Can they use the existing ducts for their fibre product - not sure on that. If so then eNet should be worried....

Obviously the MAN has a better SLA (outages are incredibly rare in my experience) than perhaps is the case with Eircom's FTTP but you pay for it.... Business rates are in the region of 500-1000 Euro per month for 100MB/100MB dependant on location. UNREAL...

I agree on the sla, however, I have over 10 customers on vdsl. Longest on is over 18 months. Not a single outage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I agree on the sla, however, I have over 10 customers on vdsl. Longest on is over 18 months. Not a single outage.

We run VDSL for guest wifi. Has been down a couple of times in the year. In that sense I wouldn't trust it for core connectivity with the nature of our business needing WAN links running VPNs 24/7. For a small business or one that didn't have such comms needs I'd say it would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VDSL is way safer for line faults (shorter loops) but significantly more susceptible to power outages. Exchanges have reserve power banks and are fed off core three phase, unlikely to loose power. VDSL cabs are fed by local pedestals like the homes around them and can lose power due to a local fault. If you're close to the cab you're likely in the dark too unless you have a generator, but longer loops might have the lights on but no internet.

MBSnr wrote: »
    We run VDSL for guest wifi. Has been down a couple of times in the year. In that sense I wouldn't trust it for core connectivity with the nature of our business needing WAN links running VPNs 24/7. For a small business or one that didn't have such comms needs I'd say it would be fine.

I'm running vpn and rdp, the works, from a few vdsl sites and have no problems at all.

The only times I have come across vdsl problems are when it's an internal wiring issue.

That's not to say no one else doesn't experience problems but I have a pretty big sample audience and graphical area to draw experience from.

Now that I have said that, I bet I have a week of connectivity problems to look forward to!

ED E wrote: »
    VDSL is way safer for line faults (shorter loops) but significantly more susceptible to power outages. Exchanges have reserve power banks and are fed off core three phase, unlikely to loose power. VDSL cabs are fed by local pedestals like the homes around them and can lose power due to a local fault. If you're close to the cab you're likely in the dark too unless you have a generator, but longer loops might have the lights on but no internet.

What are the batteries in the cabs for?

What are the batteries in the cabs for?

PCP cabs? The PSTN system has always had batteries as part of it to maintain line voltage.

Looking at the Huawei units it seems they do have a reserve unit though. Not sure how much runtime they give though. Must have a gander. I know friends in sandyford lost service due to a power outage cab side not too long ago.

Look at the NBP thread. All the big telcos have said FTTH is the only solution for rural Ireland, so that's what they'll probably roll out should they win the contract.

Sorry, meant to have said they wouldn't pull down/out existing copper cabling but just add the fibre to the runs

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

Will Eircom place a distance limit from the cabinets for FTTH? I mean in my case i'm connected to a fibre enabled cab but i'm 3.5k away but 1.2k as the crow flies. Will they be putting limits or maybe an install charge will be distance dependent.

Also if another cab is placed between the one you're connected to and goes along the same run of cables do you automatically get placed into the new one?

FTTC your cab is decided by legacy cabling, FTTH is a new run and will come from wherever is easiest for eircom.

BT charge per meter, but eircom might not be doing the same, we don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Eircom Wholesale will not be charging per metre it'll be a flat rate €150 To get FTTH installed. Customers on long lines from cabinets may get FTTH as the technology is not distance dependent.

Good to know, and much better for the nation in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭_John C

Nice one ED E :D

• Advertisement

Hackery wrote: »
    Eircom Wholesale will not be charging per metre it'll be a flat rate €150 To get FTTH installed. Customers on long lines from cabinets may get FTTH as the technology is not distance dependent.

But is that confirmed?

The Eircom wholesale docs do mention that the ONT install is €150, but it doesn't say anything about laying the cable. Are you assuming the €150 charge includes the laying of the cable or do you know it for fact?

Also I would assume there will be some limit on how far Eircom will lay cable?

The old USO rules state reasonable attempt, which translated to a cost of €7,000 max to provide a line IIRC. This wont be under that onus though unless COMREG and the gov decide to re-write the regs.

Hackery is "in the know" on these matters I suspect ;)

How does 150 compare to the current in home works being performed by KNN and paid for by the operators? Haven't come across the fee for that.

How does 150 compare to the current in home works being performed by KNN and paid for by the operators? Have come across the fee for that.

From the Eircom wholesale docs:

NTU Installed by eircom (6): 27.50

Also from the same doc I'm guessing the following charge may apply to install FTTH:

Standalone NGA Non-Insitu Access connection (5): 92.39*
    (5) Standalone Non-Insitu Access connection - Where all line work is not in place and there has been no previous service at the address.

(6) This charge applies when the NTU/ONT is installed by eircom for both POTS Based NGA services and Standalone NGA services. This charge is in addition to the charges above. The NTU/ONT charge will not apply when a Non insitu SB-WLR line is installed as part of the same order. The NTU/ONT charge will also not be applied where a Standalone NGA Non-Insitu Access connection charge occurs as part of the same order.

All of this isn't quiet clear and in fact I think there are some mistakes in these points.

But is that confirmed?

The Eircom wholesale docs do mention that the ONT install is €150, but it doesn't say anything about laying the cable. Are you assuming the €150 charge includes the laying of the cable or do you know it for fact?

Also I would assume there will be some limit on how far Eircom will lay cable?

Under the current pricing regime the installation of an ONT is charged at €27.50 to line up with FTTC. This charge includes all the fibre build out and will continue to do so when seperated out from FTTC and increased to €150.

FTTC your cab is decided by legacy cabling, FTTH is a new run and will come from wherever is easiest for eircom.

Might you know how much do BT charge per meter?

Might you know how much do BT charge per meter?

Lots:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/01/bt-openreach-hike-price-already-expensive-330mbps-fibre-demand.html
    * The monthly rental charge for the first three years will be increased to £99 per month (from the current £38 per month).

* The current one-off fixed connection charge will be increased to £750 (from the current £500).

* And the current one-off distance based charge (which varies according to the distance between the fibre aggregation node and the customer premise) will be increased to £3.50 per metre (from the current £2 per metre).

* As a result, we estimate that more than half of premises will face a total connection charge of between £1,100 and £2,500 (these premises would have incurred a total connection charge of between £700 and £1,500 under the original pricing).

That €90 is a landline provide BK, only charged when there isnt already a line present and they have to do a preliminary visit to get a DT and provide PSTN (or just POTS for Solo services).

Fingers crossed that whenever they start to roll out FTTH here its a flat rate so :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Fingers crossed that whenever they start to roll out FTTH here its a flat rate so :eek:
    Could well be flat but limited to those close to the cab.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    Could well be flat but limited to those close to the cab.

Yes, I assume it will be limited to some distance from the cab.

The question is what distance?

Or it maybe more likely that they will decide to cover some area and you won't be able to get it outside of that area. I think this one is more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The press release from last October, which I think is still all we can refer to, says 66 communities. Which is suitably vague.

eircom Group today announced that it will significantly increase broadband speeds currently available on its fibre broadband network by offering one gigabit (1,000 megabits per second) connectivity in 66 communities across the country

The press release from last October, which I think is still all we can refer to, says 66 communities. Which is suitably vague.

eircom Group today announced that it will significantly increase broadband speeds currently available on its fibre broadband network by offering one gigabit (1,000 megabits per second) connectivity in 66 communities across the country

True but in says also that work would commence in Cavan Town, Letterkenny Town and Kilkenny City in November 2014 with a view to completion within six months.

"These superfast speeds will be underpinned by ‘end to end’ fibre connections through the use of fibre to the home (FTTH) technology. Customer connections will be provided as demand for this connectivity emerges".

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/eircom_Wholesale_to_Offer_Gigabit_Broadband_Speeds/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

True but in says also that work would commence in Cavan Town, Letterkenny Town and Kilkenny City in November 2014 with a view to completion within six months.

"These superfast speeds will be underpinned by ‘end to end’ fibre connections through the use of fibre to the home (FTTH) technology. Customer connections will be provided as demand for this connectivity emerges".

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/eircom_Wholesale_to_Offer_Gigabit_Broadband_Speeds/

Still doesn't provide any enlightenment as to how far it will reach from the cabs. The next sentence in the press release says "areas of" the 66 locations and detailed plans to be announced. Until we get that it is a matter of speculation.

The planned footprint includes areas of all five major cities, major regional centres and every county town in Ireland. Detailed rollout plans for each community will be announced in due course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

How did a small town like Roscrea make the list? Bigger towns than that in Tipperary. Thurles, Carrick on Suir for example.

Size has very little to do with it. Its about the practicalities of deployment, and where TD's have constituency offices.

• Advertisement

Under the current pricing regime the installation of an ONT is charged at €27.50 to line up with FTTC. This charge includes all the fibre build out and will continue to do so when seperated out from FTTC and increased to €150.
    I've tried to decipher the latest "TBC" Bitstream Price List. Looking back the effective commencement date for eircom efibre was 20/05/2013. Mine was originally connected on 30/05/13. The wholesale NGA Virtual Unbundled Access monthly rental charges were €17.50 for standalone and €5.98 for pots based.

The proposed FTTH service shows an effective commencement date of 31/08/15 and wholesale NGA Virtual Unbundled Accesss POTS Based 150Mbps starts at €6.98; 300Mbps €11.98; and 1000Mbps €21.98 -
    the wholesale NGA Virtual Unbundled Accesss Standalone Based 150Mbps starts at €20.50; 300Mbps €25.50; and 1000Mbps €35.50.

It will be interesting to see how the pots based charges will compare to the current efibre one.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2180

Interesting new video on the eircom Wholesale website. They seem to be cracking on with FTTH ahead of the August launch which is great to see.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/home/

Interesting new video on the eircom Wholesale website. They seem to be cracking on with FTTH ahead of the August launch which is great to see.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/home/
    I tried to get some info from the sales team for Letterkenny but like the fibre it seems they are still in the "dark." 60 Kms laid in Cavan, Letterkenny and Sligo so far. Per the video they are laying about half a mile up the road from me, near Solomons so hopefully they will get here by August. Great news though and a renewed sense of excitement.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

Says they've commenced build in 16 of the 66 towns, anyone know which 16? I can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

In fairness that video is quite good. Real engineers real people. One or two segments could have done with a few more takes, but that's down to the director on the day / poor editing, possibly lack of scripting. Does make it all the more real I guess.

Ftth is really coming, years ahead of when I thought it would. I honestly wonder will the Esb / Vodafone project go ahead!

• Advertisement
Advertisement