Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City & Utd Who will finish higher and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Manchester City - I follow another team
    Not really, all you are essentially saying is that we should all bow and worship at the high altar of man utd.
    Well I'm sorry theres quite a few of us out who disagree and just because you cant seem to stand any competition unless it follows your own teams holier than thou template
    If you bothered to remember, Utd already met and saw off the sugar daddy teams at least once or twice.
    You see, your own team manager decided to meet the challenge head on instead of moaning about how unfair it all was.
    I suggest you do the same ;)

Can't stand the competition?

Loved the rivalry with Arsenal, absolutely loved it, best period in the premier league without doubt.

You seem to want to go off into a fantasy world with this so I'll leave you to it.

/done with you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

greendom wrote: »
    City's squad means they can cope so much better with injuries/suspensions. I'd be very surprised if they're not top come May.

United have a deeper squad than City. City have had an extremely poor bench quite a few times recently and if they had as many injuries as United would really be struggling. The only areas they are probably better equipped is in CM and debatably up front, don't think there is much between the strikeforces though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I thank god for the sugar daddies who have made the premiership so much more interesting.

How have the sugar daddies made the PL more interesting?
    to even suggest they have never splashed the cash whilst other clubs have looked helplessly on is even more so

United have never dominated the transfer and wages market like Chelsea and City have. United always had rivals close by spending similar amounts of money or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I really don't see how whoring yourself out to Asia (particularly) and the rest of the world is considered that much more of an appealing form of money generation than that generated by one individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Utd have been able to spend money because they happened to be going through a great period of success just as football was becoming so much more financially lucrative hence more tv/prize/match revenue etc for all clubs but obviously more so for the clubs which were winning things regularly such as Utd. Now I'm not an idiot and I know that Utd spent money before they won that first title but the gap between what they were spending and the rest of the league then was a lot smaller that the gap between what City and previously Chelsea were spending than the rest of the league in terms of the scale.

Anyway, on topic I think Utd will edge it. Their whole squad will be prepared for the run in, they have the know-how or more know-how than City and have a slightly easier fixture list. It'll be tight possibly a point or gd will separate them but I reckon Utd will just pip them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Manchester Utd - I follow another team
    Who from Richards, Kompany, Zabaleta, Lescott, Milner, Džeko, Johnson, Kolarov, Savić, Agüero, Barry, Nasri, Hargreaves, Silva, Clichy, Hart, Kolo Touré, Pantilimon, Tévez, de Jong, Yaya Touré, Balotelli and Pizarro is a particularly bad option from the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

G.K. wrote: »
    Who from Richards, Kompany, Zabaleta, Lescott, Milner, Džeko, Johnson, Kolarov, Savić, Agüero, Barry, Nasri, Hargreaves, Silva, Clichy, Hart, Kolo Touré, Pantilimon, Tévez, de Jong, Yaya Touré, Balotelli and Pizarro is a particularly bad option from the bench?

Hargreaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

CSF wrote: »
    I really don't see how whoring yourself out to Asia (particularly) and the rest of the world is considered that much more of an appealing form of money generation than that generated by one individual.

The Premier League has a massive international audience. Clubs have to embrace that or they'll be left behind.

CSF wrote: »

Using revenue generated from the brand is a far more sustainable and predictable way of funding a club. It's what any sensible fan would want for their club rather than a sugar daddy who might lose interest or just disappear at any moment.

G.K. wrote: »

Tevez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Pro. F wrote: »
    Tevez.

A Tevez on form could well be the difference alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

rarnes1 wrote: »

Yeah, if he's his usual ratty self and refuses to come off the bench again he could poison the dressing room and be the difference in United winning the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Pro. F wrote: »
    How have the sugar daddies made the PL more interesting?

Because it means there is actually a race, and a boring one horse one

United have never dominated the transfer and wages market like Chelsea and City have. United always had rivals close by spending similar amounts of money or more.

Ahem - before the yanks started bleeding the big fat red cash cow

2002 Rio signs for 30 million
    2004 Rooney signs for up to 27 million

I rather think you dominated the transfer market both those years, so you cannot tell me that was in anyway different from what chelsea or city have done - true it wasnt a whole squad in one go, but clearly the same intent was there. To pay stupid amounts of money for the best talent.
    And of course, that meant that the rest of the market was distorted and inflated

But as a chelsea fan, I'm well used to all the bleeding heart liberals from utd, arsenal and the rest who simply cry foul because we and city dared to spend a lot of cash in one go instead of following some mythical path of rightousness to the holy grail, doubtless expected to walk on hot coals and bring the head of medusa in some warped football odyssey

At least Fergie rolled up his sleeves and accepted it instead crying into his sunken french souffle like Wenger.

In fact, Utd should give us a bloody medal cos without us as a credible challenger he would doubtless given up the day job years ago! ;)

Oh yes the question at hand - Utd will do it I think - experience will count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Manchester Utd - I'm a Utd fan
    kryogen wrote: »
    United have never had a sugar daddy, never had a rich owner pumping millions/billions into the club.

I think Karma put it best a few months ago.
    karma_ wrote: »
    This is nonsense.

Back in the 80's, there was, big money for the day spent on players at united, in the days when £1M was a lot to be spending, see back in the late 80's united were in the doldrums, and had been for a long time, they had spent years under the shadow of Liverpool.

Enter J.P. McManus and John Magnier, who proceed to invest a fair sum into the club. Sure, they got their hands on the FA cup, but the league title eluded them. During this time they also hire Fergie, but still he finds it difficult in the beginning so another heavy round of investing begins. Still, it takes Fergie some time and he comes close to the sack, but, they finally get it right, with a core squad of admittedly great talent who were bought, they eventually win the title again in 92/93.

So please spare us the whole 'buying the title' line, it's long worn out and hypocritical.

Anyway, we did well to survive January to still be on top so we can win it. United have the easier run in though.

Either way it's another year of progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

rarnes1 wrote: »

He hasn't played in months now though. 12 games left. Can he get back to anywhere near his previous form in that few games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He hasn't played in months now though. 12 games left. Can he get back to anywhere near his previous form in that few games?

Maybe not for 90 minutes - certainly not to begin with anyway - but what an option to have on the bench ! The main issue is will his head be right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Manchester Utd - I'm a Utd fan
    greendom wrote: »
    Maybe not for 90 minutes - certainly not to begin with anyway - but what an option to have on the bench ! The main issue is will his head be right ?

That's never been an issue before. All last season he wanted to leave but was still top scorer. Off the field he's a liability but not on it.

I don't think we need him to win anyway.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I think Karma put it best a few months ago.

Anyway, we did well to survive January to still be on top so we can win it. United have the easier run in though.

Either way it's another year of progress.

Well the Karma quote you included is very clearly inaccurate so I wouldn't rely too heavily on it mate!

How nobody pulled him up on it months ago is beyond me and its now become accepted fact!

That would piss ya off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Tevez played 45 minutes today in a 3-1 loss, a spectator said he didn't look interested and didn't chase much, I hope that changes.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    That's never been an issue before. All last season he wanted to leave but was still top scorer. Off the field he's a liability but not on it.

I don't think we need him to win anyway.

He has shown in the past that he needs a run of games to get going though, hopefully this form holds true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Liam O wrote: »
    United have a deeper squad than City. City have had an extremely poor bench quite a few times recently and if they had as many injuries as United would really be struggling. The only areas they are probably better equipped is in CM and debatably up front, don't think there is much between the strikeforces though.

You cannot be serious?

If they had as many injuries as United they'd struggle? Apart from Vidic, out of the general starting 11 what players have United had consistently injured? I know Young but he's easily replaceable. Remember City lost Toure, who has been one of their best players this season, for a couple of weeks. I'd consider himself, Kompany and Silva the only players that they can't afford to lose anyone else can be easily replaced which truly reflects their strength in depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

cgpg5 wrote: »
    You cannot be serious?

If they had as many injuries as United they'd struggle? Apart from Vidic, out of the general starting 11 what players have United had consistently injured? I know Young but he's easily replaceable. Remember City lost Toure, who has been one of their best players this season, for a couple of weeks. I'd consider himself, Kompany and Silva the only players that they can't afford to lose anyone else can be easily replaced which truly reflects their strength in depth.

Vidic, Valencia, Ferdinand, Cleverly, Smalling, Jones, Anderson, Fletcher, Park, Hernandez

All been at least a month on the sidelines. Don't think all of them would be in a full strength 11 (maybe 5-6 of them max) but they're all vital squad players

Ahem - before the yanks started bleeding the big fat red cash cow

2002 Rio signs for 30 million
    2004 Rooney signs for up to 27 million

I rather think you dominated the transfer market both those years, so you cannot tell me that was in anyway different from what chelsea or city have done - true it wasnt a whole squad in one go, but clearly the same intent was there. To pay stupid amounts of money for the best talent.
    And of course, that meant that the rest of the market was distorted and inflated

Lol at you trying to pretend that two transfers looked at in isolation prove what United did was the same as Chelsea and City.

United are fourth in the PL spending table from 1992 to present behind City, Chelsea and Liverpool. And only in 98/99 and 01/02 were United the highest PL spenders. The idea that United ever dominated the market like City and Chelsea have is laughable. (All info from Transfer League)

And have you got any answer to my earlier question yet? How have the sugar daddies made the PL more interesting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

oconnon9 wrote: »
    Vidic, Valencia, Ferdinand, Cleverly, Smalling, Jones, Anderson, Fletcher, Park, Hernandez

All been at least a month on the sidelines. Don't think all of them would be in a full strength 11 (maybe 5-6 of them max) but they're all vital squad players

I said Vidic and only Ferdinand/Smalling, Jones and Valencia I'd consider starting 11 and none a loss at all really.

I said Vidic and only Ferdinand/Smalling, Jones and Valencia I'd consider starting 11 and none a loss at all really.

Cleverley and Anderson were the two starting CMs at the beginning of the season when the team was passing the ball best. And saying that Rio, Smalling, Jones and Valencia aren't a loss is nonsense. They are all more or less first team players so by definition they are a loss. Add that to the fact there have been plenty of other injuries to compound the loss.

United have been plagued this season with injuries. City missing Toure for a few weeks does not balance that out.

You consider none a loss......

Well your wrong there so arent you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Vidic - Out for most of the season

Ferdinand - Missed over a month

Jones - Missed a few of games

Smalling - Missed around 7 weeks

Evans - Missed a couple of weeks.

Rafael - Missed over 3 months

Fabio - Missed around 6 weeks

Fletcher - Out for most of the season

Cleverley - Missed 4 months

Anderson - Missed 4 months

Young - Missed around 7 weeks

Valencia - Missed around 6 weeks.

Hernandez - Missed around 6 weeks.

Welbeck - Missed around 6 weeks.

Rooney - Missed around 3 weeks.

Nani - Missed a month.

Lindegaard - Missed a month.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

While City are obviously in the stronger position at the moment, I think that United's experience will win it for them. United always get better towards the end of the season and I think if City slip up at all United will be champions. If they don't, it will all come down to the game at Eastlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I have a feeling that both sides will drop more points than anyone would imagine .

I reckon it will come down to whoever drops the most will surrender the title .
    I know that sounds so obvious but what I'm saying is there will be lots of twists and turns with both sides dropping more points than anyone guessed.

• Advertisement

Thats what Fergie always says, there will be points dropped, the trick is to try to make sure you drop less points then your rivals.

Advertisement