Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job: Custom shelving unit

Options
  • 26-09-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

I am wondering if there is anyone on here that might be able to help me out. I'm looking to get some shelving units made up for our montessori. I'd make them myself but I don't have the equipment or the space to do a decent job.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for here's a sample with a description, I'm looking to get something more or less the same made up...

The only difference is that I wouldn't need the units hinged. I'm just looking to get the centre section made. Looking to get about 3 made with different shelf layouts. They can be made from ply or mdf. The one's we have at present are mdf and are fine, we've had them for 3yrs now with no problems.

L3317.JPG

The edge of the wood is rounded and the high surround makes a useful and safe place for teachers to put items.
    Made from Maple plywood for maximum strength and the warmth of a natural wood finish.
    Maple plywood was chosen over chipboard with a wood veneer as plywood has the strength to span over 100 cm while chipboard is prone to sagging over time.
    Centre section is 111 cm wide x 40 cm deep x 111 high.
    Wood naturally contains formaldehyde however these cabinets and the plywood are manufactured without formaldehyde glue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Hi I could do that for u no problem at all. Let me know when u need it done for and what sizes etc. you want it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Hi I could do that for u no problem at all. Let me know when u need it done for and what sizes etc. you want it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

If you post up a little more information I would also quote if you're interested.

Do you need wheels on each of your three center sections?

Are the sizes identical to those in your post?

Is the exact layout of each important?, if so, do you have the required layouts done?

Two center sections could be hinged together quite easily as they have done... it is a nice way of doing doors. Would also work very well for a kitchen larder unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Would likewise be happy to quote....would also suggest using Birch Plywood!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I think it might be wise, in everybodys interest if unklerosco maybe posted up a brief, with all the relevent dimensions ect related to the project. And then anyone interested in offering a quote , do it by pm,s.

That way there will be no online squabbling between potential candidates for the job. You all know how these things can go pearshaped very quickly.

By all means online discussion to arrive at a final brief would be a good exercise to finalise any design issues.

But keep all the money talk by pm. That way unklerosco wont have to explain why he chose one over the other on thread.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Thats my, plan.. Still working on the final designs. Hope to have something up over the next day or so..

Here are the drawings of what I'm looking for, they're fairly simple. I want castor wheels on them also. I've also attached pics of the units we have at the moment to give you an idea of what the finished article should look like and how it's used. The ones I want built don't need to be hinged together, they'll be 3 stand alone units.

The drawings have the main dimensions in them, regarding the dimension for the shelf spacing, they just need to be equally spaced within the unit. The lip at the top is just to stop things rolling off behind the unit.

2 of these
    Montessori%252520Shelf.png

1 of these
    Montessori%252520Shelf%2525202.jpg

DSC02279.JPG

DSC02280.JPG

Shelf detail
    DSC02281.JPG

Back of the unit
    DSC02282.JPG

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

None of the pics open for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

kadman wrote: »
    None of the pics open for me.

Hi Kad how,s all going chap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

I'm interested in quoting as well. Just a couple of questions

Is 760mm the overall height you require including the castors?
    Is square edged melamine faced chipboard acceptable?

Thanks

• Advertisement

TheGrump wrote: »
    I'm interested in quoting as well. Just a couple of questions

Is 760mm the overall height you require including the castors?
    Is square edged melamine faced chipboard acceptable?

Thanks

760 is the height before the castors, chipboard isn't acceptable, all edges need to be rounded off.

Pics should be visible now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

i am well able to do this if you still need it done a bit of advice doe your selves are on the long side as regards sagging in the middle which you can see in the unit you have already maybe use a center gable for strenght

i am well able to do this if you still need it done a bit of advice doe your selves are on the long side as regards sagging in the middle which you can see in the unit you have already maybe use a center gable for strenght

I think thats just the lens on my camera, they aint sagging. They don't take much weight. Those shelves in the pics have been in use for over 5yrs now and they're still going strong..

Thanks to everyone that replied/quoted.. Got sorted now. Cheers...

Advertisement