Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting Ireland in Perspective

• 21-12-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Interesting article about the Nordics in todays Guardian. From tear gas being used against asylum seekers in Denmark, Norwegian Xenophobia created by their Oil wealth, Finnish economic damage due to the the dependence on a single company (Nokia), to single party Government in Sweden. What amazes me is the absence of perspective by many if not most in this country as if some nirvana model - the nordics being the main model example given - is the solution for us. The reality is that for the most part we are doing pretty good. Here's hoping next year will see more perspective around our improving situation!

* Responses to the article here from the Nordics.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Those things he points out are purely one sided. I mean you could talk about the babies in the oil tank, the failure to provide abortions in medical emergencies, dioxins in pork etc and infer from all that that ireland is the worst xoubtry in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

micosoft wrote: »
    Interesting article about the Nordics in todays Guardian. From tear gas being used against asylum seekers in Denmark, Norwegian Xenophobia created by their Oil wealth, Finnish economic damage due to the the dependence on a single company (Nokia), to single party Government in Sweden. What amazes me is the absence of perspective by many if not most in this country as if some nirvana model - the nordics being the main model example given - is the solution for us. The reality is that for the most part we are doing pretty good. Here's hoping next year will see more perspective around our improving situation!

I suspect your point has been well missed already.......;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I'm also very skeptical about claims of German technological efficiency.

I'd like to notify Claudia Schiffer that Opel Astras certainly do break down.

A lot of German technology was just borrowed from American and French innovation, and achieved better success through because of low unit-labour costs in Germany.

It is true that they are better at re-investing their profits than the rest of us, but I've bought far too many shoddy halogen ovens in Lidl to be impressed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

conorh91 wrote: »
    I'm also very skeptical about claims of German technological efficiency.

I'd like to notify Claudia Schiffer that Opel Astras certainly do break down.

A lot of German technology was just borrowed from American and French innovation, and achieved better success through because of low unit-labour costs in Germany.

It is true that they are better at re-investing their profits than the rest of us, but I've bought far too many shoddy halogen ovens in Lidl to be impressed anymore.

The Germans use a counter - cyclical approach to finance.save in good times , spend those savings in bad times.it's something that I'd love to see the Irish emulate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

smurgen wrote: »
    The Germans use a counter - cyclical approach to finance.save in good times , spend those savings in bad times.it's something that I'd love to see the Irish emulate.
    We did.

It was called the NPRF.

I can see what the OP means as regards people being blind to the stuff we get right. McCreevey's €25 billion "rainy day money" was hotly criticised by the economists and the Labour Party at the time. It saved us further austerity, and its role as such was never really acknowledged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

smurgen wrote: »

Do they?

Germany hasn't ran a budget surplus for a long time.

They seem to spend like mad, but it isn't surpluses that they are spending.
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/germany/government-budget

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

travelers racism polish racism,high property price,bank bailouts,long hospital wating lists,murders rapes and other crimes increasiing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

braddun wrote: »
    travelers racism polish racism,high property price,bank bailouts,long hospital wating lists,murders rapes and other crimes increasiing

And...Horse Racism...take a peep at Paddy Powers last financials.....:)

http://www.paddypowerplc.com/sites/default/files/attachments/2013_annual_report.pdf

Total Staked in Ireland.......€981,000,000. (+6%)

Gross profit in Ireland........€104,700,000. (+4%)

Number of shops.............. 223. (+5%)

I reckon there's a need for a task-force on racism.....:pac:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement