Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stateboards.ie

Options
  • 08-11-2014 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

We saw all the (understandable) fuss about appointments to public boards of late...

A solution suggested was having such appointments advertised on a website... See about half way down this news story

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/1001/649121-mcnulty/

So as I do some board work I decided to see what positions are available and see if I could apply... So I go to:

[url]Http://www.stateboards.ie/stateboards/campaignAdverts.htm[/url]

I see "There are currently no State Board appointments available. Please check back again soon."

Yet we seem to hear of numerous appointments to the usual suspects all the time...

I's be interested in what others think... Real initiative or smokescreen...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I was wondering that myself, as I believe there are appointments open for the BAI, RTE and the Arts Council that were mentioned in the news a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Thought the title said Skateboards.ie... Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

We saw all the (understandable) fuss about appointments to public boards of late...

A solution suggested was having such appointments advertised on a website... See about half way down this news story

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/1001/649121-mcnulty/

So as I do some board work I decided to see what positions are available and see if I could apply... So I go to:

[url]Http://www.stateboards.ie/stateboards/campaignAdverts.htm[/url]

I see "There are currently no State Board appointments available. Please check back again soon."

Yet we seem to hear of numerous appointments to the usual suspects all the time...

I's be interested in what others think... Real initiative or smokescreen...

I did just a quick search on publicjobs.ie and found this
    PAS Case Study 3

PAS involvement with processes for Appointments to State Boards in this period

While appointments to State Boards do not fall within the remit of the Public Service Management (Recruitment and Appointments) Act 2004, the recruitment and selection process is nonetheless, conducted within the spirit of the codes of practice established by the Commissioners for Public Service Appointments. The codes reflect the core principles of:
    Probity
    Merit
    Best Practice
    Fairness and Consistency
    Openness, Accountability and Transparency

There is a growing interest across departments in developing a more transparent approach to the filling of state board vacancies and our service is being called upon on a more frequent basis to ensure that there is a fair process and some clear criteria underpinning such appointments.

The processes with which PAS has been involved to date has been personalised to each particular vacancy, Agency and Department. We have met with each Department and their Liaison Officer to discuss their specific needs. We have assisted them in identifying the generic competencies and the agency specific competencies necessary for the positions.

The following is the process that is currently in place:

Expressions of interest for Board vacancies are advertised on the relevant Department’s website which is linked to the PAS website, publicjobs.ie. Interested individuals can apply for board positions by completing a short structured application and competencies form and by providing a curriculum vitae and a letter detailing their expertise and experience. In addition, an alert issues to our database of people who have registered their interest in being appointed to State Boards to inform them of vacancies as they arise. Departments sometimes require different levels of assistance. To date we have provided the initial filtering of applications and we have assisted with the short listing of applications based on an agreed criterion. In some instances an interview process may be required for example, the RTE Board. Finally a qualified shortlist of candidates is submitted to the relevant Minister. Ministers are not usually restricted to considering only those who make application through publicjobs.ie.

A list of Departments/Agencies we have worked with (or are currently working with) on State Board Appointments is set out below:

Sector/ Body / Organisation
    Role

State Boards
     RTE Board
     Broadcasting Authority of Ireland
     TG4
     Board of Inland Fisheries Ireland
     Forum of Inland Fisheries Ireland
     Board of IDA
     Board of the National Consumers Association
     Board of Shannon Development
     Board of National Standards Authority of Ireland
     Board of the Citizens Information Board
     Board of Higher Education Authority
     Board of Leargas Ltd
     Board of Udaras na Gaeltachta
     QQAAI
     NCCA
     Teaching Council
     Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland
     Food Safety Authority
     State Exams Commission
     Irish Blood Transfusion Board
     The Medicines Board
     Board of the Dublin Dental Hospital
     Member of the Foyle Area and Carlingford Area Advisory Forum

I checked the Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine board website
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/aboutus/stateboardvacancies/

So it looks like it's just not fully implemented yet,
    or it could be a vetting system
    You can register your Expression of Interest on www.stateboards.ie and, should a vacancy arise, our Department will then use this Website to examine all applicants with a view of ensuring that the most qualified/suitable persons may be considered for any such vacancies.

It might be worth checking department websites in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

One of the best legacies of British rule in Ireland was the method of appointment of civil servants. Despite the occasional anecdote and rumor, the appointment of civil servants is a robust and impartial process.

But throughout the 20th century, with a move towards the decentralization of governance and a consequent explosion of boards, quangos and NGOs, it has become common to benefit from the patronage of the State (i.e. receive State funding) without the rigorous checks and balances that traditionally applied to the Civil Service.

The only rationale for the apparently popularity of this hidden process among politicians is that politicians see feudal opportunities in their offices.

This feudalism isn't limited to serving on high-profile boards, but can have implications for anyone who seeks to do business with the State. I think a lot more could be done to keep politicians and high-ranking public servants 'honest', by the creation of a broader, more impartial and accountable version of the Office of Government Procurement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

conorh91 wrote: »
    One of the best legacies of British rule in Ireland was the method of appointment of civil servants. Despite the occasional anecdote and rumor, the appointment of civil servants is a robust and impartial process.

But throughout the 20th century, with a move towards the decentralization of governance and a consequent explosion of boards, quangos and NGOs, it has become common to benefit from the patronage of the State (i.e. receive State funding) without the rigorous checks and balances that traditionally applied to the Civil Service.

The only rationale for the apparently popularity of this hidden process among politicians is that politicians see feudal opportunities in their offices.

This feudalism isn't limited to serving on high-profile boards, but can have implications for anyone who seeks to do business with the State. I think a lot more could be done to keep politicians and high-ranking public servants 'honest', by the creation of a broader, more impartial and accountable version of the Office of Government Procurement.

This has been reversed in recent years with more and more State bodies coming under the remit of the Commission on Public Service Appointments.

http://www.cpsa.ie/en/

The remit should be extended to all State appointments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it was supposed to start november first but all the departments are getting their apppointments in before they have to use this system.

but the power to appoint remains with the minister and he/she can still ignore this all and appoint who they like.

I was wondering that myself, as I believe there are appointments open for the BAI, RTE and the Arts Council that were mentioned in the news a few weeks ago.

you can read about how things have disimproved in the case of RTE and BAI from Colum Kenny who was appointed in 2009 http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/colum-kenny/government-set-to-revert-to-habit-on-rte-and-bai-30710541.html

PAS was involved in interviewing people for those appointments in 2009 but were not involved in 2014

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92884722

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Godge wrote: »
    This has been reversed in recent years with more and more State bodies coming under the remit of the Commission on Public Service Appointments.
    That's not quite what a 'reversal' is. That's a partial improvement.

I'm talking about a pervasive feudalism that seeps into the less-obvious areas that people tend not to give much thought to.

Do you ever hear of lawyers representing the State, for example, in the many cases to which the State is a party? A lot of that is work is given out on very personal terms. Those are the kind of examples I'm referring to. Political advisors and parliamentary assistants are other, more obvious, areas of scarcely concealed feudalism.

Advertisement