Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limit switch

• 28-11-2014 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

The upstairs radiators not working in my house. There are 3 zones of the boiler, upstairs rads, downstairs rads and hot water. The 3 zones split under the bolier and are controlled by limit switches (is that the correct name).

In trying to figure out what the problem is I noticed that the 3 pipes going into the limit switches are hot but coming out of the limit switch the upstairs one is cold. I'm guessing my problem is with the switch and it needs replacing. Does that make sense or should I be checking for something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

They are not limit switches, but motorised valves, although each does contain a microswitch which triggers the boiler.

There should be a thermostat controlling the valve, check that it's turned up and, if it has a neon indicator, that it comes on.

Each of the valves will have a lever or a knurled wheel on the side. If you move the lever when the system is off you will be pushing against the spring. If the system is on and the thermostat is calling for heat, then the lever should move freely. If it doesn't then the motor has probably failed.

There will be a slot or notch into which you can hook the lever which will hold the valve open manually and allow heat to the radiators. Similarly if there is a knurled plastic wheel instead of a lever, you need to turn it until you find a flat on the wheel as this is the Open position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

nmacc wrote: »
    They are not limit switches, but motorised valves, although each does contain a microswitch which triggers the boiler.

There should be a thermostat controlling the valve, check that it's turned up and, if it has a neon indicator, that it comes on.

Each of the valves will have a lever or a knurled wheel on the side. If you move the lever when the system is off you will be pushing against the spring. If the system is on and the thermostat is calling for heat, then the lever should move freely. If it doesn't then the motor has probably failed.

There will be a slot or notch into which you can hook the lever which will hold the valve open manually and allow heat to the radiators. Similarly if there is a knurled plastic wheel instead of a lever, you need to turn it until you find a flat on the wheel as this is the Open position.

Thanks Nmacc - thats the name of it alright. I couldnt think of it

Yes I have opened the valve manually but no luck. However the hook looked to have had better days so I'm guessing its not working. Sounds like i need to replcae it

The fact that the pipe is hot before the valve and cold after it, I can be fairly sure the valve is the problem and I need to replace it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Probably, but check it by opening the valve when the system is on. If the pipe beyond the valve gets hot then the valve motor has probably failed. In many but not all cases, the head of the valve can be changed without removing the valve, which makes life a bit easier.

An elastic band may help with the lever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

nmacc wrote: »
    Probably, but check it by opening the valve when the system is on. If the pipe beyond the valve gets hot then the valve motor has probably failed. In many but not all cases, the head of the valve can be changed without removing the valve, which makes life a bit easier.

An elastic band may help with the lever.

Thanks nmacc. I'll give that a try

Advertisement