Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA Vs Everyone else

• 05-04-2011 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

I know its nothing new but have the american really run out of ideas that they have to steal, borrow and take every idea everyone else has had? do they really lack that much imagination??

only recently they have copied :

the inbetweeners,
    skins,
    being human,
    office,
    Nearly Dr who
    shameless
    Life on mars what where they thinking?

what next eastenders? aka southsiders? coronation street aka coronation street boulevard?

I know they have the extra episodes there is 24 ours some times 12 but still where has the originality gone??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

They've copied loads of shows before. Most of them fail miserably. There's two versions of Fawlty Towers, I think. And there's a shocking pilot for Red Dwarf. Oh, and there's the curios case of Coupling, which they made a US version even though it was pretty much a UK version of Friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

What would you prefer instead of rehashing other material they simply put nothing out? I bet you'd be the very person that would complain of there being a void in usa programming if nothing was happening!

With all the tripe that gets thrown out, they do in fact produce some very very good viewing, take the good with the bad.

Some people just love to moan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They're still leagues ahead in terms of tv production with the stuff HBO and AMC put out

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

tonyheaney wrote: »
    office,
    A very good adaptation though (or at least it was for the first four seasons).
    Nearly Dr who
    Nearly Dr Who? There was no nearly here. Are you referring to the '96 TV movie which was a co-production anyway? There's no US version.

The UK have also copied US shows it must be pointed out.

Anyway, the strongest dramas are all coming from the US these days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't really have a problem with them remaking stuff but I don't understand why they can't just do like our networks and buy and show the originals?

Given the amount of online tv legal and illegal these days most people on both sides of the Atlantic will have seen the originals anyway so doing remakes is going to lead to comparisons and usually people prefer the originals.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ the US version of Being Human is fantastic!!...last nights ep. had a huge finale shocker!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Let us not forget Life on Mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I know its nothing new but have the american really run out of ideas that they have to steal, borrow and take every idea everyone else has had? do they really lack that much imagination??

only recently they have copied :

the inbetweeners,
    skins,
    being human,
    office,
    Nearly Dr who
    shameless

what next eastenders? aka southsiders? coronation street aka coronation street boulevard?

I know they have the extra episodes there is 24 ours some times 12 but still where has the originality gone??

Yeh, but then you have the likes of HBO which have made:

Band of Brothers
    Sopranos
    The Wire
    Sex and the City
    Oz
    Boardwalk Empire
    How to make it in America

....to mention but a few. None of them are remotely rivaled by anything else in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Band of Brothers
    Sopranos
    The Wire
    Sex and the City
    Oz
    Boardwalk Empire

....to mention but a few. None of them are remotely rivaled by anything else in the world.

Sure Band of Brothers is just Soldier, Soldier in WWII and Oz is Prisoner: Cell Block H with better looking prisoners!! :pac:

Seriously though, don't forget Six Feet Under

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sex and the City? No one should regard that as top notch telly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

blodvyn wrote: »
    What would you prefer instead of rehashing other material they simply put nothing out? I bet you'd be the very person that would complain of there being a void in usa programming if nothing was happening!

With all the tripe that gets thrown out, they do in fact produce some very very good viewing, take the good with the bad.

Some people just love to moan :D

actually i would prefer if they came up with something original instead of a rehash,

i would prefer if they did have constant brakes after brakes, just show the season see it it out and get on with it FFS,

and this formum is for moaners and bitches and i have no prob being the moner mate :P

ixoy wrote: »

Nearly Dr Who? There was no nearly here. Are you referring to the '96 TV movie which was a co-production anyway? There's no US version.

The UK have also copied US shows it must be pointed out.

Anyway, the strongest dramas are all coming from the US these days.

the '96 movie was in fact a back door poilt and if it had worked (and yhank god it didnt) it would have continued usa style

as for torchwood great show dont get me wrong but captain jack was used in doctor who to get him known so that one day RTD could have his own show no strings attach but i did like it.

Band of Brothers
    Sopranos
    The Wire
    Sex and the City
    Oz
    Boardwalk Empire

you know i have not watched any of those since the canceled Deadwood love the show, now i try to wait till they finish a season to watch coz im never sure if they will cancel them

AND THATS ANOTHER THING I BLOODY HATE

cancelling shows left right and flufin center FFS!!!!!

Stargate Atlantis bad ending
    Stargate Universe bet it will be a bad ending
    Enterprise WORST ENDING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    deadwood... left floating,
    The Tick (FOX)
    Firefly (FOX)
    Scrubs
    Jericho
    The Cape - The show was officially cancelled on March 2, 2011 due to low ratings
    Eli Stone

Just to name a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't really have a problem with them remaking stuff but I don't understand why they can't just do like our networks and buy and show the originals?

Given the amount of online tv legal and illegal these days most people on both sides of the Atlantic will have seen the originals anyway so doing remakes is going to lead to comparisons and usually people prefer the originals.

Its quite often the lack of episodes (numerically) in the original version, like The Office is only 14 episodes, Fawlty Towers only 12.

Whereas in America they expect a season of a halfhour sitcom to be about 24 episodes. Further they expect at least 100 episodes to be made in total (i.e. minimum 4 seasons) in order to reach the mark at which a program can go onto syndication channels (something like our UK Gold stations) where episodes are shown every day for a few months, then back to the start and go again.

So basically the way the orginals are made in the UK (2 or 3 series of 6) just doesn't fit the US broadcasting structures.

Its quite often the lack of episodes (numerically) in the original version, like The Office is only 14 episodes, Fawlty Towers only 12.

Whereas in America they expect a season of a halfhour sitcom to be about 24 episodes. Further they expect at least 100 episodes to be made in total (i.e. minimum 4 seasons) in order to reach the mark at which a program can go onto syndication channels (something like our UK Gold stations) where episodes are shown every day for a few months, then back to the start and go again.

So basically the way the orginals are made in the UK (2 or 3 series of 6) just doesn't fit the US broadcasting structures.

true but you have to admit by keeping them this size (UK size that is and not that im agreeing necessarily) it makes you enjoy them more, miss them even more and makes for great story lines and cuts the bull shi story lines out keepin to the main story at hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

you know i have not watched any of those since the canceled Deadwood love the show, now i try to wait till they finish a season to watch coz im never sure if they will cancel them

AND THATS ANOTHER THING I BLOODY HATE

cancelling shows left right and flufin center FFS!!!!!

Stargate Atlantis bad ending
    Stargate Universe bet it will be a bad ending
    Enterprise WORST ENDING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    deadwood... left floating,
    The Tick (FOX)
    Firefly (FOX)
    Scrubs
    Jericho
    The Cape - The show was officially cancelled on March 2, 2011 due to low ratings
    Eli Stone

Just to name a few

you watch a lot of American TV

@Rabble Rabble

no not really i just goggled canceled shows but i have watched a few of them and im giving up now coz when i invest my evening time they get cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 23 muffino

ixoy wrote: »

couldnt agree more, i love The Office and The US Office, but after the 1st four seasons it went downhill!

Advertisement