Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change chain/derailleur when changing wheels

Options
  • 17-02-2015 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Wonder if someone could shed some light on this for me. I'm looking tiobuy some new wheels. These come with a ten speed cassette. I currently have a 7 speed cassette. Do I need to change my chain or derailleur to accommodate the new wheels or is it just a straight swap, one set of wheels for the other? Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blamester

Probably not. Depends what shifters you have, if they are friction they may work with a new chain. If they are index they won't shift 10 speed correctly.
    If they are both cassette type wheels you could swap the 10 speed cassette for the 7 speed one. Or buy a seven speed cassette and chain and use those on the new wheel.You will need a spacer for the cassette and probably have to adjust the derailleur.
    Also the 10 speed wheel may need to be dished to fit the frame correctly.
    If it is just to have 10 gears it's probably not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You probably need to tell us more.
    What make and model is your bike?
    What year is it?
    Has it a 126mm or 130mm axle?
    Are the shifters on the down tube or combined with the brake levers?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

If you want to swap a 10 speed for a seven you cant. Cassette and shifters must match (some exceptions but general rule). You can of course get a new 7 speed cassette or swop over old one. As for size and dish dont worry if its a road bike only swop for road and if MTB ditto only swop mtb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As stated, if your current shifters are indexed (click per gear change) then they won't accommodate 10 speed as they probably don't have 10 'clicks'.

You may need a new chain as your current one could be too wide to fit between the closer spacings of a 10 speed cassette sprockets. Then you may be faced with your chainset being too wide for the narrower 10 speed chain but I'm not sure about this.

The derailleur will probably be OK as it only moves according to the pull the shifters apply to the cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ok a couple of questions to be addressed here;

Bike is a Scott Speedster 60, the 2013 model. Couldn't tell you the axle size and the gears are incorporated into the brakes. The gears are indexed.

Seems like a lot of hassle to be honest, just something that tickled my fancy. I think I'll leave it for another while yet. Thanks for the replies all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement