Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All rads in my house are barely heating!

• 28-11-2014 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi.
    So here's my problem; All of the rads in my house (22 in total, 11 up and 11 down) are luke warm at best. Here's what I know:
    1. Oil boiler working fine, switching on and off etc.
    2. Pressure at a little under 2 bar.
    3. Cylinder water very hot.
    4. Where the incoming water from the boiler T's offto the cylinder and rads is hot on the cylinder side but only luke warm on the rads side.
    4. All rad were bled and balanced by experienced plumber.
    5. During troubleshooting the plumber turned off the feed into the cylinder and still the rads didn't heat.
    6. 7 year old house.
    7. Heat from rads have been poor since te house was built.
    7. Private well on-site.
    8. 7 different plumbers have looked at it, none can fix it.

Please please could somebody help me. Wife and 2 young kids not impressed :(
    Thanks!
    Baz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You state that the rads have never heated properly form day one so is the boiler up to the job of heating 22 rads and the hot water cylinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Baz78

Crosstownk,
    Thanks for your reply.
    According to the various plumbers that have darkened my door over the years the boiler IS capable of heating this much so no problem there (or so they say!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

is your circulating pump man enough for the job

Hi Jimf,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Again, according to the professionals the circulating pump is sufficiant. I even had an extra one installed in the hotpress for the upstairs rads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Possible air lock in the system or a blockage. You would imagine a plumber would have been able to sort it out by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

can you post the make and model of your boiler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

How did one plumber manage to balance the system if it was not in working order?

Jimf,
    I'll post the details later when I get home. Thanks

Hi Anthony4335,
    The common consensus is a blockage but surely that would only effect one rad as each rad has its own supply/return. I suppose the plumber(s) tried to balance the rads as best they could. I can really only go on what they tell me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

22 rads is a lot so I would be thinking pump and boiler size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Baz78 wrote: »
    Hi.
    So here's my problem; All of the rads in my house (22 in total, 11 up and 11 down) are luke warm at best. Here's what I know:
    1. Oil boiler working fine, switching on and off etc.
    2. Pressure at a little under 2 bar.
    3. Cylinder water very hot.
    4. Where the incoming water from the boiler T's offto the cylinder and rads is hot on the cylinder side but only luke warm on the rads side.
    4. All rad were bled and balanced by experienced plumber.
    5. During troubleshooting the plumber turned off the feed into the cylinder and still the rads didn't heat.
    6. 7 year old house.
    7. Heat from rads have been poor since te house was built.
    7. Private well on-site.
    8. 7 different plumbers have looked at it, none can fix it.

Please please could somebody help me. Wife and 2 young kids not impressed :(
    Thanks!
    Baz

Pressure is saying 2 bar but maybe the needle on the gauge is stuck and the actual pressure may be lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Turn off the 11 downstairs and check if the 11 upstairs are any hotter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Your problem is either there is a blockage between the boiler and Hotpress or the nozzle on your oil boiler is way too small. Was it ever serviced?

Jimf,
    The boiler is a firebird Popular 115 with a heat output range of 25kw-34kw (as listed on the serial tag attached to the front of it).
    It has a Riello RDB 120 burner attached.

Advertisement